Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:58 PM

431 posts, read 2,126,916 times

Advertisements

[quote=OctoberMoon;17472783]I have been asked about church and I have talked to people who automatically assume I go. It's makes me uncomfortable when I have to say I don't. Someone at my husbands work had this conversation and the woman asking looked at him like he had 2 heads when he said he wasn't religious. Then goes on to tell him they cannot be friends because he is not Christian.

QUOTE]

ROFLMAO!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 02:22 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,315,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
Couldn't agree more. The people here are the definition of un-cool. My advice is don't wait, get out now. The job isn't worth it. I've been to other cities out west and even the Taxi drivers said they felt the people here were the worst in the U.S.
Please take your own advice.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,622,155 times
Ugh, this is exactly the reason I refuse to go to church here; the hypocrisy, bigotry and outright idiocy just gets to be too much. These types of "Christians" really should have their heads examined, no one can be mentally healthy with such a capacity to be so delusional. Their ability to refuse to accept logic and reason is absolutely beyond me. I love their argument that homosexuality is unnatural, or "gross". Of course the uneducated don't know that homosexuality exists in nature, its existed in humans and animals and has since the beginning of time. And I think fat old hillbillies having sex is "gross" but I don't try to make it illegal.

When I was a waitress in college we always dreaded the Sunday after church crowd. Without a doubt they are the rudest, cheapest, most condescending a*holes I've ever met.

Again, I'm not speaking of all Christians, just the ones who dumb down society (evolution didn't happen, despite more than enough evidence to the contrary) ; those who hate the poor (hello, do you even KNOW who Jesus was??) and fit the criteria I listed above.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ" - Mahatma Ghandi

/end rant

Old 01-19-2011, 06:09 PM

357 posts, read 784,321 times
Religion plays a huge role in the south. I would assume most people would know that before moving there.

The fact that there are more churches in the south than anywhere else didnt annoy me... it's just that religion in the south affects everything. It seems like in other parts of the country, you can go to church on sunday, confess your sins for the week and go back to living your life as normal. In the south, you just dont go to churh once a week. You're constantly practicing your religion in everything you do. It affects the laws that are past and really more than that... it affects the overall living environment. And honestly, I didnt realize a lot of this until i lived somewhere new...

Old 01-19-2011, 11:08 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,113,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
Religion plays a huge role in the south. I would assume most people would know that before moving there.
Why would people know that? Atlanta is a "world city", right? M.odern, evolving, urban. This isn't a small town in south Georgia like you see in the movies. I assume?

I could see churches playing a part in a smaller town, but the picture most of the rest of the country gets of Atlanta is a big bustling airport, Ted Turner and CNN, various rap and/or hop hop music artists, glitzy sports teams, and a few contestants on Top Chef. Not a lot of religion there.

I figured Atlanta would be similar to Minneapolis, Milwaukee, and Chicago but warmer. That's mostly true here in suburbia. However, there's a strong undercurrent of religion I've seen here and there that I find interesting. Georgia seems to be the home of a lot of televangelists, which tells me something. I think it's also religious in a good way. Strange to me that it has such an impact, though.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:21 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,633,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Ugh, this is exactly the reason I refuse to go to church here; the hypocrisy, bigotry and outright idiocy just gets to be too much. These types of "Christians" really should have their heads examined, no one can be mentally healthy with such a capacity to be so delusional. Their ability to refuse to accept logic and reason is absolutely beyond me. I love their argument that homosexuality is unnatural, or "gross". Of course the uneducated don't know that homosexuality exists in nature, its existed in humans and animals and has since the beginning of time. And I think fat old hillbillies having sex is "gross" but I don't try to make it illegal.

When I was a waitress in college we always dreaded the Sunday after church crowd. Without a doubt they are the rudest, cheapest, most condescending a*holes I've ever met.

Again, I'm not speaking of all Christians, just the ones who dumb down society (evolution didn't happen, despite more than enough evidence to the contrary) ; those who hate the poor (hello, do you even KNOW who Jesus was??) and fit the criteria I listed above.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ" - Mahatma Ghandi

/end rant
a bit bitter, eh?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 AM

32,033 posts, read 36,849,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomno00 View Post
Religion is important in the South, although it's a big deal in a lot of other places, too.

In a city like Atlanta I think you can take it or leave. Plenty of options if you want to go to church but nobody's going to care (or even notice) if you don't.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:54 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,622,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
a bit bitter, eh?
just a little

Old 01-20-2011, 11:15 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,248,227 times
May I just chime in and say that I have only experienced friendly people. Maybe there have been a handful of rude ones, but majority are very friendly in my opinion. You can look in my title and see where I come from (have lived).
We love it here! We have been here for 6 months now. We have lived in our home for 2 months and have already had our neighbors over for dinner.
Sure I have noticed it's more religious here. People are constantly saying, "Oh bless your heart, God bless you, pray this, pray that..." So what! I'm not particularly religious, I'm not Baptist, let them say what they want. They're not saying it (at least not to me) in any malicious form for that matter.
Yes! I have noticed people ask me which Church I go to. I was never asked that in all of years in NYC or Southeast Florida. At least nothing stands out for me. Whatever! I'm Greek Orthodox. If that's my biggest worry... as long as no one is pushing their religion on me. Then I would just kindly say, "I'm sorry, yada yada....."
But as for the area we live in...very friendly, family friendly, great neighbors, excellent customer service. I think it all depends on what you're used to. I personally feel that Southeast Florida happens to be a very "unfriendly" area. Again, my opinion.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:44 PM

349 posts, read 782,151 times
I can't say that I ever had anyone ask me what church I went to and I was born and raised in GA. Even if they did ask so what? Just tell em you don't go and if they don't like it who cares? I mean what are they going to do? Anyways, im just getting into my 30s so maybe that is conversation that older folks with families have. I can't say. All I know is no one my age ever asked me where I went to church. It wasnt even something that was on the radar as a topic of conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta