Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:39 AM

32,033 posts, read 36,845,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

arjay, You mix liquor and crowds of people tight together and you have fights .
I guess we differ on that. I've been to many public and private gatherings where there were no stabbings or throat cuttings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 08:40 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,507,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Maybe so but...

I vehemently disagree. This should be considered a family event, even though many folks ruin it by getting sloppy drunk. The NYC version is definitely a family event.

So what if he didn't tell her he was going. He's not the first 14 year old kid to do something like this.

It really doesn't matter if he was 14 or 94 really. This shouldn't have happened, especially at this sort of event.
As I said--it is my opinion that 14 is too young to attend such an event with friends. It is not a family event and hasn't been in quite some time, if ever---I don't think what it 'should' be is a relevant issue.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:49 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,536,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
As I said--it is my opinion that 14 is too young to attend such an event with friends. It is not a family event and hasn't been in quite some time, if ever---I don't think what it 'should' be is a relevant issue.
His age is not really the issue. Kids are going to do stuff like this. Kids are going to sneak into places where they aren't supposed to be. He was walking to the train station. Where were the Marta Police? I realize police can't be everywhere all the time but to not have plenty of officers posted to the busiest entrance of the busiest Marta station when an event like this is taking place is a HUGE misstep.

He could have been a full-grown adult and this still would be unacceptable.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:15 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,719,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I guess we differ on that. I've been to many public and private gatherings where there were no stabbings or throat cuttings.
I clearly said fights not stabbings. 2 different things.

You have a bunch of drunks in a semi club district getting wasted for the new year. Fights are bounded to happen.

More like a sporting event except the taps aren't cut off in the final quarters/innings.

I agree with DTL3000, even, if he was able to stab this young man, how the hell was he able to get away with such a suppose large force in that area?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:03 AM

32,033 posts, read 36,845,848 times
Quote:
I clearly said fights not stabbings. 2 different things.

You have a bunch of drunks in a semi club district getting wasted for the new year. Fights are bounded to happen.
Sorry I misunderstood you. I can see pushing and shoving in a rambunctious crowd, but I'd hate to see it escalate into open fighting. I've been to many, many events where there were big crowds and plenty of drinking going on -- football games, concerts, auto races, NYE celebrations -- but open fights are extremely rare.

Stabbing and throat cutting are entirely different matters. That's over the top hoodlum-ism.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sorry I misunderstood you. I can see pushing and shoving in a rambunctious crowd, but I'd hate to see it escalate into open fighting. I've been to many, many events where there were big crowds and plenty of drinking going on -- football games, concerts, auto races, NYE celebrations -- but open fights are extremely rare.

Stabbing and throat cutting are entirely different matters. That's over the top hoodlum-ism.
No problem.

That is true but its most likely more managed at those events minus the NYE celebrations with the liquor.

At Underground, you have multiple locations to get your drink on as well as bring your own.

It's sad/disgusting behavior over a robbery of a cell phone...come on now...

Old 01-03-2011, 10:42 AM

969 posts, read 1,961,165 times
Quote:
No problem.

That is true but its most likely more managed at those events minus the NYE celebrations with the liquor.

At Underground, you have multiple locations to get your drink on as well as bring your own.

It's sad/disgusting behavior over a robbery of a cell phone...come on now...
Apparently he didn't even have the cell phone. The criminal is out of his mind and MARTA police are a joke. They are useless. The APD needs to step it up at events... the same thing happened at the first Screen on the Green (although nobody was killed)... then the APD decides to step up their security measures. Why do they always wait until something bad happens? Why don't they take more steps to ensure nothing bad will happen? I'm hoping more officers will help them better control large scale events and crime in general.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:09 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,315,346 times
Why do people assume that events/situations that either happen or don't happen from their own anecdotal experience is indicative of they think or perceive is going with with the world at large? I know that I would often do that myself, but I would at least admit my own biases & attempt to maintain a broader perspective about the world at large.

People crapping bricks about this kid getting stab must've forgotten the child murders in Atlanta that took place between 1979-1981. Again, I'm not saying this to minimize the tragedy this past New Year's Eve, only to enunciate that we shouldn't use this event as some sum total indictment of Atlanta itself.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 01-03-2011 at 11:27 AM..

Old 01-03-2011, 02:32 PM

969 posts, read 1,961,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Ghetto thugs are encouraged to move to Atlanta everyday, every week, every month. Its even encouraged on this forum. Its weird how many low quality people move to Atlanta because they couldnt hack it in Alabama or New Orleans etc...I keep saying over & over it way too easy for thugs to blend in here in Atlanta. A purification most occur so we can easily identify these punks. Maybe even the Superfriends will irritated enough to encourage class amoung the thugs in their families that live here. Its worth a try.
How is that so? Who is encouraging them? Your comment goes against statistical data... not only has the median income in the city risen over 50 percent in Atlanta in the last 5 years, so have people with Bachelor's degrees and the city of Atlanta has one of the fastest growing white populations in the country along with Washington DC. There has always been a ghetto element here, but it is not getting worse. Although there have been some horrific crimes lately, the crime rate has dropped a lot, however I am aware there is still more work to do. Things will continue to get better here, not worse and the ghetto element will become more and more diluted. I don't disagree with you about the thugs, but they aren't exactly moving here in droves like you make it out to be.

You and the other debbie downers attack other posters for being "boosters" or exaggerating "how perfect it is here" when you all aren't any better... you are just the opposite end of the spectrum... making ridiculous comments and exaggerating about how horrible it is here or how much "worse" it's getting.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:42 PM

Update: Suspect arrested. MARTA Police news conference @ 5:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta