Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 5,627 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Atlanta from Austin, TX at the end of the month and my new company is putting me up in temporary corporate housing for 30 days.

I have 2 choices, both of which are at apartment complexes in the Buckhead area. One of them is right at the Lindbergh Station (Eon) and the other is at Lenox Square (Alexan Lenox).

Does anyone have a recommendation as to which would be a better area to live temporarily?

My two major criteria would be:

(1) Traffic/commute. I will be commuting Monday through Friday to my office which is right off of I-20, east of downtown, just outside the perimeter. I understand that traffic in general will be bad and that my commute is going to be pretty long, but is there one location that might be better to get in and out of during rush hours?

(2) Restaurants, bars, etc. within walking distance or very nearby. Seems like Lenox is an upscale mall area? Is Lindbergh Station area any better in terms of having some local restaurants, pubs, etc?

Again, these are my only two options for the first month, once I get there I will have that time to explore other neighborhoods and determine where I want to be longterm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 05:08 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nargy View Post
I am moving to Atlanta from Austin, TX at the end of the month and my new company is putting me up in temporary corporate housing for 30 days.

I have 2 choices, both of which are at apartment complexes in the Buckhead area. One of them is right at the Lindbergh Station (Eon) and the other is at Lenox Square (Alexan Lenox).

Does anyone have a recommendation as to which would be a better area to live temporarily?

My two major criteria would be:

(1) Traffic/commute. I will be commuting Monday through Friday to my office which is right off of I-20, east of downtown, just outside the perimeter. I understand that traffic in general will be bad and that my commute is going to be pretty long, but is there one location that might be better to get in and out of during rush hours?

(2) Restaurants, bars, etc. within walking distance or very nearby. Seems like Lenox is an upscale mall area? Is Lindbergh Station area any better in terms of having some local restaurants, pubs, etc?

Again, these are my only two options for the first month, once I get there I will have that time to explore other neighborhoods and determine where I want to be longterm.
Does your company hate you or something? There are few places where the commute to I-20 east could be much worse than from these areas.

Either area is ok for what you are looking for. They're not all that far from each other in Atlanta terms. I'd lean slightly towards Lindberg due to a little less congestion as well as it being closer to some alright dives like Smith's Old(e) Bar and a couple others.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:19 PM

968 posts, read 2,617,804 times
I would pick Lindbergh over Lenox. You'll just need to make a left onto Piedmont and a left onto Buford Hwy to get to the Connector (75/85) to get to I-20E. If you leave by earlier, your ride through downtown should be easy; however, I cannot speak for I-20E as I've never commuted that way.

The complex at Lenox may look nicer but I'm not sure if I'd want to deal with E. Paces / Lenox Rd / Peachtree Rd to get to 400-S (which'll take you to the Connector).

Old 12-15-2010, 05:58 PM

262 posts, read 637,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Does your company hate you or something? There are few places where the commute to I-20 east could be much worse than from these areas.

Either area is ok for what you are looking for. They're not all that far from each other in Atlanta terms. I'd lean slightly towards Lindberg due to a little less congestion as well as it being closer to some alright dives like Smith's Old(e) Bar and a couple others.
Agreed.

My husband works about halfway between Lenox and Lindbergh. We used to live off of 20-E (Glenwood Ave). I can't say one is better than the other as far as commute goes.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:29 PM

3 posts, read 11,440 times
Curious about where you decided to move and how do you like it? I am in a similar situation - relocation w/ 30 days of corporate housing. Both eon and alexan are on my list of choices for temp housing. We also have a few more choices near Dunwoody, Collier Hills and Midtown.

I will work be working in Buckhead (Terminus) two blocks or so from the MARTA station and I plan to use public transportation to get to/from work.

I'm trying to find out if Lindbergh will be a good area for us to live. It's just my wife and I (low to mid-30's). We want to live in a place that is safe, plenty of things to do within walking distance - shopping, dining, pubs - courteous people, etc. Would you think that Lindbergh could be a good place for us? Or should we stick with Dunwoody or some place outside the perimeter?

Thank you!

ps - we've visited Decatur a few months back and really liked the feeling of having a walkable town, but commuting from there is a bit of a turnoff. Does Lindbergh have any safe walkable areas?

Last edited by beerguy76; 02-13-2011 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: typo and added more questions

Old 02-13-2011, 07:48 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy76 View Post
Curious about where you decided to move and how do you like it? I am in a similar situation - relocation w/ 30 days of corporate housing. Both eon and alexan are on my list of choices for temp housing. We also have a few more choices near Dunwoody, Collier Hills and Midtown.

I will work be working in Buckhead (Terminus) two blocks or so from the MARTA station and I plan to use public transportation to get to/from work.

I'm trying to find out if Lindbergh will be a good area for us to live. It's just my wife and I (low to mid-30's). We want to live in a place that is safe, plenty of things to do within walking distance - shopping, dining, pubs - courteous people, etc. Would you think that Lindbergh could be a good place for us? Or should we stick with Dunwoody or some place outside the perimeter?

Thank you!

ps - we've visited Decatur a few months back and really liked the feeling of having a walkable town, but commuting from there is a bit of a turnoff. Does Lindbergh have any safe walkable areas?
I think Lindbergh would be a good fit. You can take the train to the Buckhead station and it is a short walk to the Terminus building. You can also walk to several restaurants, bars, and other stores in Lindbergh. You also have easy access to the highway.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:34 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
There are a zillion apartments and condos within walking distance of Terminus. However, I don't know how you find out whether they have short terms corporate leases. Maybe a broker or realtor can help?

If I were you I'd check with places like Buckhead 05 (literally across the street), Post Stratford, Cambridge, The Manor, Tremont, Paramount, etc.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:31 PM

454 posts, read 820,983 times
I like Lindburgh over Lennox given a choice. Both areas have lot of things very close but Lindburgh is a little more intimate and nicer to me. Plus at Lindburgh you really could get away without having a car if you wanted.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:20 PM

3 posts, read 11,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There are a zillion apartments and condos within walking distance of Terminus. However, I don't know how you find out whether they have short terms corporate leases. Maybe a broker or realtor can help?

If I were you I'd check with places like Buckhead 05 (literally across the street), Post Stratford, Cambridge, The Manor, Tremont, Paramount, etc.
Thank you for those suggestions. We will look into them as options for a permanent residence. We are limited on what corporate housing we can choose. The relocation service contracts through Oakwood and they find availability with their preferred properties.

We are going with Lindbergh and will follow up on our experience.

Thank you!

Old 02-14-2011, 06:17 PM

454 posts, read 820,983 times
Good choice, also two brew pubs within Lindburgh itself..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta