Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 01:23 PM

288 posts, read 958,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
I hope not. I really like the Perimeter area. I don't think it'll go bad. It's all rich white collar workers for the most part, and being so centrally located that development around Perimeter isn't going to be cheap and there are plenty of successful yuppie and student types lined up for those spots.

Besides, that's not really Dunwoody anyway, that's Perimeter. The real Dunwoody, up around Chamblee Dunwoody/Mount Vernon and that whole area and all the old neighborhoods and townhouses around there will probably be fine.

Actually on the Dunwoody subject, I think the only negative is all the apartments that have gone up in like the past year. Like Dunwoody needs more apartments! They shouldve used some of that land for a nice park. People are always going to be trying to be in the newer apartments leaving the older ones to become run down and ghetto, especially with marta being walking distance. Perimeter mall area though is considered Dunwoody all the way to 2-85 if im not mistaking. Well, guess we will see, hope they build more good restaurants!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 04:06 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,313 times
Actually I thought that's what most of the 'Dunwoody Secessionist Movement' was all about. All the 'dreaded apartment kids' overwhelming the school system and lowering test scores. Apparently people are upset that Dekalb county allowed all those apartments to be built in the first place. I'm sure there were other issues (Hatred of Vernon Jones for one––what on earth did that dude do? They talk about him like he created New Coke), but it seems that this school issue is the hot-button for folks.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:21 PM

193 posts, read 692,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
There are lots of minorities in Dunwoody, not one of the elementary schools is more than 75 percent white anymore and two are about 50 percent white. These are not students bussed in from anywhere -- they live in the community.
This is not correct anymore, Vanderlyn is 78% white and 13% asian. (Found the link). So if it used to be less than 75% then it is trending in the other direction than what you were implying, but if it wasn't then there never was such a trend.

http://schools.ajchomefinder.com/cou...chools/6440173

And if by "live in the community" you mean "live in apartments thanks Vernon Jones" then yeah, but now that we are a city we won't be seeing any more apartments built anytime soon.

Last edited by martarider; 07-17-2008 at 06:42 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 05:47 PM

425 posts, read 1,755,377 times
Dunwoody borders Peachtree Industrial to the west. North, West, and South are bordered by Norcross, Doraville, and Chamblee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highriser987 View Post
Actually on the Dunwoody subject, I think the only negative is all the apartments that have gone up in like the past year. Like Dunwoody needs more apartments! They shouldve used some of that land for a nice park. People are always going to be trying to be in the newer apartments leaving the older ones to become run down and ghetto, especially with marta being walking distance. Perimeter mall area though is considered Dunwoody all the way to 2-85 if im not mistaking. Well, guess we will see, hope they build more good restaurants!

Old 07-17-2008, 06:19 PM

193 posts, read 692,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Actually I thought that's what most of the 'Dunwoody Secessionist Movement' was all about. All the 'dreaded apartment kids' overwhelming the school system and lowering test scores. Apparently people are upset that Dekalb county allowed all those apartments to be built in the first place. I'm sure there were other issues (Hatred of Vernon Jones for one––what on earth did that dude do? They talk about him like he created New Coke), but it seems that this school issue is the hot-button for folks.
What he did was issue bond after bond, taking our money and squandering it. But now that we are a city we can opt out of bond issues. Anybody picking up on my City theme here?

Last edited by martarider; 07-17-2008 at 06:41 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 06:07 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,536,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Actually, there are many reasons beyond the zoning issues. Pray that you do not need to call Dekalb police dispatch or 911 anytime before a new actual "city" police force is enabled, b/c you will be waiting for a long time! I have a relative on the force who basically said that gaining cityhood is the best thing that the community could do for itself b/c of the sad state of affairs in Dekalb PD. I called in to report a suspicious vehicle filled with men parked in a dark car at night in front of my neighbors house and literally sat on the phone for 15 minutes waiting to get through...finally I went outside and walked around it and they took off. I never got through.

The biggest problem with Dekalb is the structure of the gov't and the secrecy with which the Vernon Jones regime worked. Also, when none of the county commissioners live anywhere near your community, what stake do they have in the success of it?

Despite the fact that Dunwoody is still a really good place to live, it used to be much much better. Now the roads are crappy, we have limited police presence, and every possible parcel of land has been zoned for development (thank god for the Dunwoody Nature Center and trails). It was basically time for the community to take control of its destiny...away from those who could not care less about it, outside of it being a cash cow.

The next few years are going to be pretty tough, and I'm sure some fiscal mistakes will be made, but it will all be worth it in the end, b/c at least we have a say in what happens.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:15 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,313 times
The funny thing is, everyone talks about the poor police response. My husband and I were here a week and got pulled over twice in two separate vehicles! They were convinced we were driving with expired tags, even though our Alabama tags didn't expire until the end of May and we had thirty days to get Georgia tags. I remember telling my husband that maybe they just didn't have enough to do.

We finally went ahead and got Georgia tags because we didn't want to deal with this obsessive compulsive police department anymore.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:00 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacelord75 View Post
Actually, there are many reasons beyond the zoning issues. Pray that you do not need to call Dekalb police dispatch or 911 anytime before a new actual "city" police force is enabled, b/c you will be waiting for a long time! I have a relative on the force who basically said that gaining cityhood is the best thing that the community could do for itself b/c of the sad state of affairs in Dekalb PD. I called in to report a suspicious vehicle filled with men parked in a dark car at night in front of my neighbors house and literally sat on the phone for 15 minutes waiting to get through...finally I went outside and walked around it and they took off. I never got through.

The biggest problem with Dekalb is the structure of the gov't and the secrecy with which the Vernon Jones regime worked. Also, when none of the county commissioners live anywhere near your community, what stake do they have in the success of it?

Despite the fact that Dunwoody is still a really good place to live, it used to be much much better. Now the roads are crappy, we have limited police presence, and every possible parcel of land has been zoned for development (thank god for the Dunwoody Nature Center and trails). It was basically time for the community to take control of its destiny...away from those who could not care less about it, outside of it being a cash cow.

The next few years are going to be pretty tough, and I'm sure some fiscal mistakes will be made, but it will all be worth it in the end, b/c at least we have a say in what happens.
Isn't Kathie Gannon a Dunwoody resident?
That is not to say I disagree with what you state here.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:26 AM

5 posts, read 11,582 times
East Cobb has peaked, and it was never in the same league as Sandy Springs in terms of residents with wealth. Sandy Springs isn't just middle class, parts of it are super class.

I'm with you- there is no where else in metro Atlanta I would live. Period.

And Í know this town inside and out.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:36 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdre42 View Post
East Cobb has peaked, and it was never in the same league as Sandy Springs in terms of residents with wealth. Sandy Springs isn't just middle class, parts of it are super class.

I'm with you- there is no where else in metro Atlanta I would live. Period.

And Í know this town inside and out.
The Golden Ghetto is OK, but it certainly isn't the only game in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta