Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2007, 10:53 PM

63 posts, read 282,364 times

Advertisements

I am planning on renting an apartment in a Post community and heard one complaint was that there were cockroaches and insects in the apartments during the winter months.

What kinds of experiences have you had with insects? I'm from Michigan and expect bugs during the summer (they're GONE in the winter) but I just want to make sure we're not talking "infestation." I'm hoping these comments are just few-and-far-between and not common-place happenings in this complex (Post Vinings).

Thanks for any comments!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 05:14 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,067 times
Shortcut,
Most any apartment you rent in a complex environment is going to come with similar 'issues' in your posts. Complexes (all, not just Post) aren't usually built using the highest quality materials. Many will be loud, have annoying neighbors and some will even have bugs. But not always. Depends often on your neighbors music habits and eating habits.
But that's usually why it's temporary living. You really will be okay in these places. If you're truly concerned, then rent a single family house where you won't get any amenities, can have the exterminator come as much as you'd like and keep the AC off. I've lived in several apartment complexes and while it's not the most amazing experience, it has always been okay. It gave me the time I needed to search around and find what I was looking for.
If it's at all possible, find a cheap weekended fare, come down and spend the entire day visiting these place to assuage your fears.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:28 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,067 times
Here is one more listing I found on CL:

Townhouse with Garage and Lots of Storage (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/apa/367110228.html - broken link)

Old 07-09-2007, 12:18 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,537,574 times
Generally Post Properties apartments will be pretty good, relatively speaking. I've never lived in an apartment without random bugs showing up - usually just centipedes, spiders, and maybe one cockroach per half year or something. It's inevitable - it's the South, it's usually pretty humid, so bugs like it here. In the winter they are usually pretty much gone here too, though. That Post Vinings is a pretty good spot, basically equidistant from Smyrna Village and Vinings Jubilee.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:30 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
The AJC had an article last week about the drought causing bugs and animals (snakes) to seek shelter/food/water in houses.

I rarely get roaches in the house, but spiders are fairly common. They're easy to trap using a cup and a piece of paper. I return them to the yard where they catch and eat other bugs. My yard this year has been a spider sanctuary. I have to dodge spider webs every morning between my front door and car.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:39 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,212,493 times
I think bugs are just part of being in the south. I've lived in two luxury apartment complexes, and I've often encountered spiders and other small creatures. I did have an issue with huge cockroaches in my Midtown apt, but once Bug Control came by, the problem was gone.

My advice would be to call the leasing office as soon as you see any major bugs. Bug Control only comes on certain days, so you may have to wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: