Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2010, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,692 times

Advertisements

So because I worked as a translator for the US army back home, I got kicked out of my neighborhood by the insurgents, and my house got burned, So the US army decided that I will need a new home, great news!! and here I am! they chose to relocate me in ATL which I really like, and I've been here for five months so far!
I really do appreciate that they found me a new home and brought me to America, but I only wished they picked another part of the city to relocate refugees like me in other then FREAKING CLARKSTON! I lived here for 5 months only, but I got robbed twice, discriminated against and had to see a dead body laying on street after I thought I would never see blood on pavement evaaaar again! But this is not why I'n here, My question is:

Can somebody here PLEASE help me to decide where to go and what to do in this city after my resettlement agency dumbed me in this **** hole after having me signing a 6-months damn lease that will end next week??? How am I suppose to convince anybody to rent an apt for me with no credit history, no career records and no enough knowledge of how things going on around here!!??? The US army didn't find me a job, didn't plan any longer lodging for me, and only paid $400 welcome monthly payment for the first 4 months and now I'm all by my own!

What really I don't understand is why in the world everybody laughs when I ask who robbed my money? is it that hard to find the robbers around here?? Hell I wish somebody helped me to open a bank account instead of pimping around the city with cash in my wallet!! I mean don't get me wrong guys, I loove ATL but u know what, I kinda miss the damn desert right now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 11:43 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,380,765 times
Mike Weston can help. he can be found on USA on weeknights

Old 10-25-2010, 04:28 AM

725 posts, read 1,513,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodguy2010 View Post
So because I worked as a translator for the US army back home, I got kicked out of my neighborhood by the insurgents, and my house got burned, So the US army decided that I will need a new home, great news!! and here I am! they chose to relocate me in ATL which I really like, and I've been here for five months so far!
I really do appreciate that they found me a new home and brought me to America, but I only wished they picked another part of the city to relocate refugees like me in other then FREAKING CLARKSTON! I lived here for 5 months only, but I got robbed twice, discriminated against and had to see a dead body laying on street after I thought I would never see blood on pavement evaaaar again! But this is not why I'n here, My question is:

Can somebody here PLEASE help me to decide where to go and what to do in this city after my resettlement agency dumbed me in this **** hole after having me signing a 6-months damn lease that will end next week??? How am I suppose to convince anybody to rent an apt for me with no credit history, no career records and no enough knowledge of how things going on around here!!??? The US army didn't find me a job, didn't plan any longer lodging for me, and only paid $400 welcome monthly payment for the first 4 months and now I'm all by my own!

What really I don't understand is why in the world everybody laughs when I ask who robbed my money? is it that hard to find the robbers around here?? Hell I wish somebody helped me to open a bank account instead of pimping around the city with cash in my wallet!! I mean don't get me wrong guys, I loove ATL but u know what, I kinda miss the damn desert right now!
I'm sorry to hear that. I used to live in clarkston growing up. I'm glad I moved out. There are much better areas of the city. You should look on craigslist.com for a room shared. There are plenty of options. Good luck.

Oh yeah and it is hard to find a robber. It's a big city and a big country and they can be anywhere. I lost my wallet too, but I didn't have much cash. The trick is to not carry cash, but credit cards. You can cancel a credit card and get a new one with all your money.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:32 AM

426 posts, read 2,324,237 times
What is your price range. Do you drive or ride Marta? What are you looking for in a new community? How is your job search coming along?? Are you able to move back to your home country if you wanted to? Just sounds like if things don't start to work out for you here, you might get stuck in a foreign country with no money and no one to turn to for help..

Old 10-25-2010, 01:30 PM

504 posts, read 1,548,013 times
Hi goodguy2010,

Let me start by saying sorry that this has happened to you. I've had friends that live in Clarkston that I used to hang out with all the time. It certainly can be a rough area. Criminals know that immigrants can be an easy target so they do prey on them in that area somewhat more than other areas. Do you not have any records from the American Army showing your service? I would maybe request that info if you haven't. Did they give you permanent resident status? If not what status did they give you?

I'll assume that you are Muslim, so forgive me if you aren't. I know there are different organizations and groups around the Atlanta area that might be able to help you. I would check with college campuses first. Probably Georgia State or Emory might be good ones to contact. I also don't know if it's your plan to be an interpreter again, but you already have experience. So it might be an easy thing to do until you can move to a different type of employment. Another job that you could maybe do to begin with is to be a teacher. I can tell you write English with mostly proper grammar (and probably more correct than a good majority of Americans). So I don't think it might be to terribly difficult to find a position teaching either English to Arabic speakers that need the help, or teaching Arabic to native English speakers.

Here's a site done from a cursory Google search. Hopefully it will help.
Arab Community Center for Economic and Social Services: NNAAC Members

As others have said, a little more info could help us pin point better advice for you.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:38 PM

504 posts, read 1,548,013 times
Just a direct link to the Alif Institute. They may be of great help also.
Welcome to the Alif Institute of Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta