Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 09:26 PM

6 posts, read 13,881 times

Advertisements

I am seeking any advice, I am relocating from South Florida, and work at the Scott Expo Center. I am considering a home on Forrest circle, just off of Forrest Park Rd and Hutchens Rd. It is next to Southside Park. I have done the Google street view drive through the area and it appears well kept and clean. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the area? Is it relatively safe? is it a mixed neighborhood? My neighborhood in West Palm is about equally mixed, black, white, south americans, gays, and tourists! Just right.

Thank You,
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 01:34 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,034 times
I would think that area is about as far from West Palm Beach as humanly imaginable but i could be wrong.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:09 AM

Thank you for the quick response, but is it different in a good way? Since I only get up to Atlanta for the 4 Day Antique show, I really have no time to check out the area. I usually stay just south in a hotel in Morrow. The people seem very friendly and I haven't encountered any problems. Now I have an opportunity to extend my stay to 10 days or so, I thought buying a home would make it much easier.
Best Regards,
Steve

Old 10-20-2010, 09:01 PM

119 posts, read 302,202 times
I worked at a job in that area about ten years ago and used to drive on that stretch of Forrest Park Road every day. I thought then, and still think, that area was okay but has potential to be much better. I've driven through that area several times since then to check on it, but probably haven't been through there in about three years.

The area was predominantly, if not completely, black. I don't recall seeing one non-black person coming in or out of a home in those neighborhoods.

The houses themselves mostly appeared to be in fair condition. They were never anything fancy to begin with. I would guess most were built in the 1950s and 60s. I don't recall any infill development. Home prices in that area never seemed to rise much so I don't imagine they had far to fall in the current economic downturn, but I'm sure values have dropped. I would guess price (and certainly location) are the reasons you are considering that area.

I probably saw a few homes that looked run-down or abandoned, but most were maintained and some had burglar bars on the windows and doors. I never saw police activity near the homes, which is always a good thing. However, farther down Forrest Park Road are/were several apartment complexes with lots of bad element hanging around. I'm not sure what's happened to the complexes in the past few years. I think I read about one of them closing and possibly being demolished and replaced by residences for senior citizens. You can check crime stats for yourself:

http://www.atlantapd.org/index.asp?nav=map (broken link)

That area is considered Zone 3.

There was also a new home development off Forrest Park Road, south of 285 that seemed like it would be nice and a boon to the area, but it stalled before the current economic downturn, so I'm not sure of its current status.

There has been sporadic new development along Jonesboro Road during the past decade, with new homes and apartments, but some areas are still very sketchy.

There is/was a landfill site between Forrest Park Road/Moreland Avenue/285. In the summer that area would stink badly. I am fairly certain it finally closed several years ago, but if I were you I would make sure it's closed because you don't want to live with the awful smell of rotting garbage.

I said at the beginning that I think the area has potential to be better, and it does seem that change is happening but very slowly. It's in the City of Atlanta, inexpensive, has easy access to 285, and is close to hot spots farther up Moreland Avenue. However, if you want nicer neighborhoods and homes, with more safety and diversity I'd recommend neighborhoods off Moreland Avenue like Woodland Hills, Oremwood Park, Grant Park and East Atlanta.

Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 AM

Eunomia,
THANK YOU!! I really appreciate the information and time you took to post so many details. That is just what I needed to know. The link to crime stats was also very helpfull. I am going to check out the other neighborhoods you mentioned.
Thanks again,
Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta