Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2010, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 4,893 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to move to Atlanta in Dec. We are trying to land jobs before we move but no hits yet. We are still using our address in florida on our resumes, because obviously we don't have a Georgia address yet. Do we need to have a Georgia address to get more hits?. Help!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 04:43 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,665,242 times
Metro Atlanta's unemployment rate is something like 10.5 percent, so it is just really hard to land jobs right now. Being out of state probably doesn't help, but I would think twice about leaving jobs to move here right now.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:44 PM

237 posts, read 458,106 times
I agree, I have registered with every online site imagineable, I have tried the "since you work there, put ina good word" deal. It is just so tough, it's going on about 5 months now. In response to your question, yes, it will make it easier, IMO, if you have a GA address. When employers are narrowing their search, having an out-of-state can sometimes automatically take you off the list.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,425,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikmon View Post
My family and I are planning to move to Atlanta in Dec. We are trying to land jobs before we move but no hits yet. We are still using our address in florida on our resumes, because obviously we don't have a Georgia address yet. Do we need to have a Georgia address to get more hits?. Help!!!!!

Whatever you do, do not, I repeat, do not move without work. Wait till you find something first, or if your company has an office in Atlanta, or Metro ATL area, look for a transfer. Stay put for now. Please don't be one of the posters that come with no work, then 6 months later want to bash Atlanta, and not look at their situation as the problem.

It's not easy. My wife moved here before I did. I stayed with the kids until they were done with their school year. Anyways, my situation is different. I have my own Consulting (home based) business and I travel between NY, FL and GA. I can move almost anywhere. But please, stay put until something comes up.

You'll thank us all later. Good Luck!!

By the way, why December? Why the specific date?

Old 10-03-2010, 11:11 PM

439 posts, read 852,923 times
OMG! I see trouble brewing... First why Atlanta? Atlanta is not the safe haven of great quality of living anymore. Frankly, I think it never was. Atlanta metro and most of Ga does not hire based on good resumes, professionalism and competence. Atlanta hires based on who you know. All the jobs are given to family members and friends of friends. Atlanta has a lazy local workforce. They move like molasses. It is very very provincial over here. Most of the locals hold government jobs and the professional high end jobs, careers are held with an eagle claw by people who moved in here long ago or have their own businesses. The FL address is not going to help you at all. Atlanta HRs are lazy, they never hire after the fiscal year ends. Meaning that after October they will not hire anyone for a long term, full time job. Plus do you have a degree or a skill that is marketable a Just Over Broke run of the mill 'job' is not going to pay the bills over here. I would urge you to re-asses your situation as the job market here is awful.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:17 PM

439 posts, read 852,923 times
PLUS salaries here suck!! They pay a biligual with a Master's Degree 38k a year to do a lot of stuff. It is crazy!

Old 10-04-2010, 12:13 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,425,406 times
See, what I'm saying. The poster above is blaming Atlanta, and not their particular situation. Don't be one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
OMG! I see trouble brewing... First why Atlanta? Atlanta is not the safe haven of great quality of living anymore.
According to who? You? Describe safe haven first. Describe quality of life according to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72
Frankly, I think it never was.
According to you? Again, not factual. This is more opinion based than anything else.

Quote:
Atlanta metro and most of Ga does not hire based on good resumes, professionalism and competence. Atlanta hires based on who you know. All the jobs are given to family members and friends of friends.
Hmm, sounds like something going on almost everywhere these days. Try again.

Quote:
Atlanta has a lazy local workforce. They move like molasses. It is very very provincial over here.
Unless your job is to monitor people's laziness, you have no idea what you're talking about. Describe provincial (in your eyes).

Quote:
Most of the locals hold government jobs and the professional high end jobs, careers are held with an eagle claw by people who moved in here long ago or have their own businesses.
Hmm, again in this economy, who isn't going to do what they can to keep their jobs or businesses afloat? Everyone knows it's cutthroat busines out there. It's all over. You're sinking yourself by the sentence. You ought to stop.

Quote:
The FL address is not going to help you at all.
That's true. The OP needs to find a way. 1 sensible thing so far. Only 1. (Not looking good for you. )

Quote:
Atlanta HRs are lazy, they never hire after the fiscal year ends. Meaning that after October they will not hire anyone for a long term, full time job. Plus do you have a degree or a skill that is marketable a Just Over Broke run of the mill 'job' is not going to pay the bills over here. I would urge you to re-asses your situation as the job market here is awful.
The OP is coming from Florida where the job market is worse than GA. If the OP has work, I suggest he/she stays put. Money, at this point is more important than where one lives. Do what you can to stay affloat. Atlanta is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinka72 View Post
PLUS salaries here suck!! They pay a biligual with a Master's Degree 38k a year to do a lot of stuff. It is crazy!
Are you speaking of yourself? You (or the person you're speaking of) didn't have to accept the job, if you (or the person you're speaking of) didn't like the salary/pay. Don't accept it, then complain about it. Your fault.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:40 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Speaking as someone who's also out-of-state and been trying to find a job in Atlanta, I can safely tell you that it's very unlikely you'll be able to land a job from Florida. If you have a FL address on your resume and post it online, you'll be filtered out. Why would recruiters look outside GA when they have so many people to choose from in Atlanta? Second, employers will see you as high risk. Is he 100% committed to moving? Does he need help with relo? How soon can he start? What if he has a house to sell? Using a local address on your resume will help you make it past search filters. But anyone reading your resume will quickly realize you're not actually in Atlanta. I hate to say it, but you may have to move without a job lined up. I know people will say that's insane. But the alternative is to stay where you are and wait til you find a job. Given how bad the market is, how unlikely it is to recover anytime soon, and how much of a disadvantage you're at, you could be waiting for quite a long time.

Old 10-04-2010, 02:27 PM

11 posts, read 65,719 times
You do not necessarily have to but employers are much more prone to interview local candidates over out of area candidates. Proven Fact!

Old 10-05-2010, 02:57 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,018,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
The OP is coming from Florida where the job market is worse than GA.
This. I don't think people realize how bad the economy truly is down here. It actually shocked me when I took a trip up there to see as few closed buildings as I did. You easily see, on average, two per shopping center down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta