Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,752 times

Advertisements

I'm a college student and I recently moved to Atlanta, around the buckhead area. I don't have a car, so I use the marta trains to get around.

For a college class I need to do community service, so I'm volunteering at the Atlanta food bank.

Here are the walking directions I found from the BANKHEAD marta station to the Atlanta food bank:

1. Head southwest toward Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy NW
20 ft
2. Turn left at Donald Lee Hollowell Pkwy NW
0.7 mi
3. Turn left at Joseph E Lowery Blvd NW
0.1 mi

Is this a safe area, is this a safe route to be walking? I would be walking with a friend, during the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 11:56 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
I wouldn't really want to walk it if I didn't have to. It's not Sarajevo circa 1990's but it's pretty gritty. Are you male or female? And what time of day will you be walking? if it's broad daylight and you're a average to large guy with street sense then I'd think you should be fine. If you're female I say catch a ride or try to transfer to a bus.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:14 PM

426 posts, read 2,322,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellobear View Post
I'm a college student and I recently moved to Atlanta, around the buckhead area. I don't have a car, so I use the marta trains to get around.

For a college class I need to do community service, so I'm volunteering at the Atlanta food bank.

Here are the walking directions I found from the BANKHEAD marta station to the Atlanta food bank:

20 ft
0.7 mi
0.1 mi

Is this a safe area, is this a safe route to be walking? I would be walking with a friend, during the day.
I really hate to inject race into here but it's just the truth. If you're Black and male you will be fine as long as you keep to yourself. If you're a black female someone will try and talk to you and get your number but thats about it. If you are white you will probably get wierd stares and might feel very uncomfortable. If you are any other race, you will want to catch a cab. No matter what race, if you have to be there at night, still catch a cab. Seens like it would be a cheap cab ride. Saftey never hurt. I'm not saying this because it's a poor black neighborhood. It's a junkie neighborhood. They can't think straight and often do things they do not realiaze they're doing or acting purely out of desperation. There are a TON of other areas of Atlanta to volunteer which would be more marta accessible and where you wouldn't have to worry about jays begging you for crack money. It's just an extreemly drug infested area.

Check out the Samaritan House of Atlanta. They help Atlanta's homeless get off the street. I have volunteered there myself. Located on Edgewood Ave. in walking distance of the King Memorial train station.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:19 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellobear View Post

20 ft
0.7 mi
0.1 mi

Well you are not too deep on Hollowell you will be fine.(DAYTIME)If you are a female make sure you have a male companion otherwise you maybe mistaken for a "lady(loosely put) of the Evening".Once you turn on Lowery the Food Bank is just 1 or 2 blocks on the road.They do have buses I think that go that way if you get the right transfer

Old 09-28-2010, 07:31 PM

397 posts, read 843,135 times
My directions would be to not walk, but run.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:02 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,537,161 times
stvincent does the best job describing why you would not want to walk in this area. I wouldn't even take a bus, as you are still pretty vulnerable waiting around a bus stop. I would totally cab it, and make sure you have the cabbie's number to call to pick you up after. I'm pretty adventurous, but you just have to be smart about these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: