Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 06:00 PM

40 posts, read 126,192 times

Advertisements

I may be taking a job in suwanee and I was wondering if you'd answer a few questions for me?!
Is Suwanee a good place to live for a twenty-something? I'm from a small wi town. Don't have kids and am single. I like having lots of friends my age, shopping, going to church, movies, swimming, sports, and of course cute guys! How does Suwanee stack up?
I'd like to buy a house around 300k w/in the next few years & saw some I liked in Alpharetta, Johns Creek, and Duluth. What are their commutes like to Suwanee? What's the safest area for me to walk my dog at
night?
Any advice on the area would be great!
Thanks,
Grace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 06:52 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,131,652 times
I don't see Suwanee being that exciting for a 20-something. You would probably have a better time in Alpharetta if you are considering that area and not looking at any areas closer to Altanta. Your commute will depend on the actual location of your job. The 30024 zip code is quite large and straddles two counties. Is your job on the Gwinnett or Forsyth side of 30024?

Old 07-31-2010, 07:15 PM

Old 08-01-2010, 09:02 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,990,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygaga View Post
Yes, but where? As Ohio said, that zip is huge, and stretches from nearly Lawrenceville to almost Cumming in Forsyth County. That's probably 15 miles or so.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:21 PM

468 posts, read 1,386,104 times
Your best bet would be to get something temporary (rental) and check out the different areas. I would have said that Suwanee is a great place - it's very up and coming, has everything in the world nearby - and there's not a whole lot of travel distance between Johns Creek, Duluth and Suwanee. They're in a different 'area' than Alpharetta, so the work place might have a deciding factor in all that.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:23 AM

I believe it's in Gwinett County. I looked at some places online and it puts a commute from Alpharetta about 13-17 miles & google maps says that'll take 25-30 minutes. Is that accurate?
I've never been down there, I'm just learning about the area and it's soooooo much bigger than anything I'm used too!
What are Johns Creek and Duluth like?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:44 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,131,652 times
Quote:
I believe it's in Gwinett County. I looked at some places online and it puts a commute from Alpharetta about 13-17 miles & google maps says that'll take 25-30 minutes. Is that accurate?
I've never been down there, I'm just learning about the area and it's soooooo much bigger than anything I'm used too!
My wife used to commute the other way, to Alpharetta from Suwanee (an area near I-85). It took her about 45 minutes to get from our house to downtown Alpharetta during morning rush. I'm not sure if that number would be accurate traveling the opposite direction, but I would guess so.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:53 PM

468 posts, read 1,386,104 times
Well, Alpharetta to Suwanee isn't a big highway route (like I-85 or 400 or something) however you do have some main arteries going that way.
As far as 'what are Johns Creek and Duluth like?" that's a matter of perspective, really. John's Creek is 'newer' than either Alpharetta or Duluth, but they all have different features/activities/socializations/etc.

I'm not sure where you'd be coming from, and I'd hope that you could rent something or make some 'temporary housing arrangements' before you make a final decision. If you got into a 6 month lease somewhere and decided you didn't like the area, you could move to another one and check it out.

To spend in the range you're speaking of, it'd be MUCH better to 'live' in the area before deciding. After all, sometimes a house is easier to get into than out of!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,990,146 times
Quote:
With traffic I would put that in the 35-45 minute range. If you do end up staing in Gwinnett, I would reccomend staying in the Suwanee area. It's very family oriented, however there are still places to go have a good time. Wild Wings, Taco Mac, Old Town Tavern, 37 Main in Buford, and McCrays in Lawrenceville are just a few. There are quite a few single professionals in the area, so you won't be alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta