Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:07 AM

4 posts, read 6,187 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm accepting a job within my company in Decatur, GA. I've lived in NYC in my parents' apartment all my life and am really excited at the prospect of living on my own.

I am a young professional and am looking to:

1) Rent--Budget $500-$700
2) Apartment --prefer to be on my own but can do a roomate situation (was thinking of looking on Craigslist.)
3) Suburban/Urban --no preference.
4) Will drive to work I guess, don't want to drive longer than 45min because I'm not used to driving to work.
5) Living near the airport isn't important.
6) Commuting to work in Decatur.
7) I will be attending World Changers International in College Park so I can even live near there, if recommended as a good area.

I want to be able to go running in the mornings or when I get back from work, too.

Lastly, I tried to look up apartments and there are a lot of gated community offerings. I don't know of any up here in NYC so I'm unfamiliar with whether this is a good idea or not.

Any suggestions, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 09:51 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,512,669 times
Is your place of employment located in zip code 30033? This is the City of Decatur --there are other zip codes and this will be important to those offering recommendations.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:02 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,279,299 times
Actually 30030 is City of Decatur. 30033 is North Decatur (unincorporated DeKalb county). 30032 is South Decatur.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
Actually 30030 is City of Decatur. 30033 is North Decatur (unincorporated DeKalb county). 30032 is South Decatur.
That's true--

Hopefully she could live in the City of Decatur --jmo, but that would be a good place for a young professional coming from NYC to launch her career in Atlanta.

I also wonder if there are other options for finding roommates than Craigs List.

LOL--she should contact ProMove Apartment Locators.
http://atlanta.promove.com/decatur-apartments/

Old 07-30-2010, 11:24 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,031,064 times
Atlanta Apartments for Rent - Equity Apartments

Druid Hill/ Decatur

Old 07-30-2010, 11:25 AM

Check out apartments off of 85 on Clairmont Rd, Druid Hill Rd, Blaircliff Rd area

You should be able to find something for $550-$630

Old 07-30-2010, 11:36 AM

504 posts, read 1,547,614 times
I say gated communities are pretty much a sham unless they have security working the front (which most don't). I've lived in a few during my time as a renter. Most of the ones I've seen leave the gates open during certain times of the day. If someone wants in they can just jump over the gate somewhere around the perimeter. Criminals have friends that could live in the complex and give them access. I wouldn't base my decision on that alone. It doesn't hurt to have one, but I think they give some people a false sense of security.

The City of Decatur (30030) is really nice and pretty safe comparatively, but is probably going to be more expensive than your budget unless you room with someone. Other areas of Decatur (described before) will be more affordable but definitely range from really nice neighborhoods to high crime neighborhoods. It really does depend on what part of "Decatur" you will be working in. Can you give us the zip so we can guide you a little bit more accurately?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuraud View Post
The City of Decatur (30030) is really nice and pretty safe comparatively, but is probably going to be more expensive than your budget unless you room with someone. Other areas of Decatur (described before) will be more affordable but definitely range from really nice neighborhoods to high crime neighborhoods. It really does depend on what part of "Decatur" you will be working in. Can you give us the zip so we can guide you a little bit more accurately?
Here's another idea>>>
Briar Hill Apartments - Home

They are located on Sheridan Rd/Briarcliff at N. Druid Hills.

zip code 30329--easy access to I85, shopping and a number of young professionals in the area--Toco Hill/N. Decatur

Without knowing where the OP's place of employment is located I don't know what sort of commute this might involve.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:54 AM

504 posts, read 1,547,614 times
I agree with TakeAHike. I'm a big fan of the Toco Hills / Druid Hills area. It's pretty nice and does have some more affordable housing than City of Decatur. I have a few friends that were Emory students that lived in that area. Lots of good restaurants and it's near Buford Hwy, which has more international businesses located on it.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Here's another idea>>>
Briar Hill Apartments - Home

They are located on Sheridan Rd/Briarcliff at N. Druid Hills.

zip code 30329--easy access to I85, shopping and a number of young professionals in the area--Toco Hill/N. Decatur

Without knowing where the OP's place of employment is located I don't know what sort of commute this might involve.
I agree 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta