Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:14 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,067,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Yeah, kinda, I have dropped a few old girlfriends like a hot rock when they start getting preachy on me. I do not trash talk their belief structure, I would appreciate the same courtesy. Also,... why do they think that since I am an atheist, that I have never been exposed to christer theory? Don't they have any idea how pushy christers get in trying to gain converts? Or, just how annoying it can be?

Isn't the "belief structure" as you put it, and a person's beliefs regarding religion a core part of who they are?

Why would you want a relationship with someone who's basic philosophy on life is radically different than you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:40 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Isn't the "belief structure" as you put it, and a person's beliefs regarding religion a core part of who they are?
Whoa, this speaks volumes -- the answer (for me) is NO - definitely not. Obviously some people find their identity in a particular set of religious beliefs, though.

Quote:
Why would you want a relationship with someone who's basic philosophy on life is radically different than you?
I wouldn't. But not all Christians are zealots per the standards of today's Evangelical movement.
In any case, I generally agree with you -- I doubt that I could get along on an intimate level with anybody who worships Jesus, but I do know of some atheists who can/do.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:46 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times
Quote:
If you believe that your eternal salvation is based on your religion, why would you NOT want it to affect your life on a base level? Otherwise...how is it any different than any other fraternal organization you might belong to?
I don't know.
You'd have to ask somebody who believes that eternal salvation is based on their religion. Or somebody who is religious and does not believe that religion determines one's salvation. I don't believe in eternal salvation in the first place -- and I don't have a religion.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:51 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,113 times
Quote:
If I may ask...if you and your wife have different beliefs, how can you be the "Elder" or leader?

Hionest question--wouldn't that tend to mean that you are leading her away from her religion? Or vice versa?
No it would not, as hard as it may be to believe our different beliefs is not a factor in our relationship, you see two people of different beliefs can live together very happily. You are only looking at it from one side and it is the only side that you know or were taught, you need to get out amongst the rest of the world and look at how other cultures live and are able to coexist together in peace and respect.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
No it would not, as hard as it may be to believe our different beliefs is not a factor in our relationship, you see two people of different beliefs can live together very happily. You are only looking at it from one side and it is the only side that you know or were taught, you need to get out amongst the rest of the world and look at how other cultures live and are able to coexist together in peace and respect.

I don't question your ability to have a very loving, happy marriage. That's not my point.

I was wondering about the statement that you made regarding her being a different religion...yet you consider yourself the spiritual elder. I just wondered how that was possible. No disrespect intended...but I consider my spiritual elders to be my pastor, and the elders of my church--not the mormon church down the road.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:14 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,113 times
Quote:
I don't question your ability to have a very loving, happy marriage. That's not my point.

I was wondering about the statement that you made regarding her being a different religion...yet you consider yourself the spiritual elder. I just wondered how that was possible. No disrespect intended...but I consider my spiritual elders to be my pastor, and the elders of my church--not the mormon church down the road.
Let me see if I can put this in some way that you can understand. The title of Spiritual Elder, is a position that was bestowed upon me by my family, it is a part of my culture that I was raised in, in my culture one does not aspire to be such a thing it is bestowed upon you by those of your family ( my family is the entire clan within the nation) it is not a religious position, it is a cultural position, I am the keeper of our culture and the ways of our ancestors and that is the difference between you and me, as to my wife, she is free to believe what she wishes and there is no conflict there and that's the beauty of our culture, she does not impose her religious beliefs on me nor do I do the same to her, like I said it's not a factor in our relationship and it never has been.

You're looking at it from your Christian perspective which does not apply to my culture.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:49 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,019 times
As a minister for my church, I also don't impose my religion on the BF. When we have our annual meetings, I go by myself and tell him of the things I did that aren't related to the ministry. If he asks about it though, I do tell him. He has seen how spiritual I have become since meeting him. He loves that I love what I do. He would never tell me to stop even though he disagrees with the way it's presented. (He doesn't believe that channeling of spirits is the way to go about spirituality and religion) He sees my beliefs in my actions towards others and that is all he cares about.
If I ever tried to force those beliefs on anyone, you can bet your booty we would be at it big time!! I don't think people should be forced to believe in anything they don't wish to. He knows that and respects that I only share if asked.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:14 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
As a minister for my church, I also don't impose my religion on the BF. When we have our annual meetings, I go by myself and tell him of the things I did that aren't related to the ministry. If he asks about it though, I do tell him. He has seen how spiritual I have become since meeting him. He loves that I love what I do. He would never tell me to stop even though he disagrees with the way it's presented. (He doesn't believe that channeling of spirits is the way to go about spirituality and religion) He sees my beliefs in my actions towards others and that is all he cares about.
If I ever tried to force those beliefs on anyone, you can bet your booty we would be at it big time!! I don't think people should be forced to believe in anything they don't wish to. He knows that and respects that I only share if asked.
I wish that more good believers were like you. I really enjoy your posts and you always present them with dignity and respect for those to whom you're responding.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:31 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,023,019 times
Thank you, Zug, that really means a lot.

I wish more people were open minded and would explore more of our world and what it has to offer by way of how people express themselves and what they believe whether it's religion or just their life experiences and how they have came to be so loving and caring. We have some amazing people out there who aren't even religious as well as very enlightened people that I come into contact with. I feel so much love when I'm around them and the nonreligious people have a lot of love to give as well. If we all worked together, what a beautiful world this would become.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Let me see if I can put this in some way that you can understand. The title of Spiritual Elder, is a position that was bestowed upon me by my family, it is a part of my culture that I was raised in, in my culture one does not aspire to be such a thing it is bestowed upon you by those of your family ( my family is the entire clan within the nation) it is not a religious position, it is a cultural position, I am the keeper of our culture and the ways of our ancestors and that is the difference between you and me, as to my wife, she is free to believe what she wishes and there is no conflict there and that's the beauty of our culture, she does not impose her religious beliefs on me nor do I do the same to her, like I said it's not a factor in our relationship and it never has been.

You're looking at it from your Christian perspective which does not apply to my culture.

Fair enough. Not trying to give ya a hard time here....was just curious. It just confused me when you said you're a "Spiritual Elder".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism