Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:53 PM

348 posts, read 502,936 times

Advertisements

Am I alone in discovering that some of the Christian debates elsewhere on this forum are rampantly homophobic in their general tone?

I am concerned that it is fully admissible to belittle gay people in these forums, with frequent quotes from the bible which are aimed at proving that gay people and the gay lifestyle are 'an abomination' and a sin to be severely punished?

In an age when it is illegal to incite hatred against racial and other minorities, why is it that these spiteful put-downs are standard fare, as I have discovered in the last week when visiting several Christian forums in a spirit of interest and enquiry?

Is it right to freely target what is only against religious dogma, and not against the law. I would argue that this is antisocial in every sense, and can lead to much hurt, particularly for young gay people who may not be secure enough in themselves to withstand such abusive treatment.

The whole ethos of fundamentalist religious thinking, much in evidence, is that gay people are inherently deficient as human beings, and unless they renounce their orientation they are an offence both to god and to mankind.

The paradox being, of course, that according to them, sexual expression is only admissible within marriage - an institution which they would vehemently deny to gays anyway!

As a humanist, I find this sort of mindset increasingly offensive. Indeed, my overall impression of such Christian forums is the conspicuous absence of LOVE - rather ironically - given that biblical people profess to worship a god of LOVE . By the same token, condemnation is always implicit, and all too often extremely explicit, too.

Try substituting the word Jew, for instance, for Gay in these contexts, and you soon realise the level of offensiveness at work here.

So... should we be making more of a fuss about all this?

In the interest of common decency and basic respect for our differences, I strongly believe we should -- and very loudly too!

-- Brian.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:58 PM

7 posts, read 11,790 times
Being gay is not a sin. Acting on it could be
I'm heterosexual, but is I out on it inappropriately, it would be a sin.
I have no problem with a gay person who admits their struggle to do the right thing.
I have no problem with a hetero that struggles to do the right thing.
A hetero that does not admits he is wrong I do have a problem with

Old 10-24-2008, 04:17 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,024,748 times
I don't believe being homosexual (gay) is a sin, nor is acting on it as long as the couple is consensual...then again, I am not a "Christian"...but neither am I an atheist. The Bible, being written by men many, many years ago, simply reflects the mindset of those times and still influences "believers" today...and yes, it bashes gays and many other people whose lifestyles do not fall within its written word.

We are responsible for our actions, it's as simple as that. As long as we act without harm or malice to others there is no "sin" involved....IMHO.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:27 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,466,891 times
In America fundmentalist Protestant Christianity represents a "shelter" for those who view today's society as increasingly bewildering and threatening. It is an example of a movement in reaction to the technology-enabled complexity of society and the speed (a la the book Future Shock) of technology-driven social change.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:36 PM

SORRY FOR TYPO...MUST REPEAT TO CLARIFY

Being gay is not a sin. Acting on it is.
I'm heterosexual, but if I act out on it inappropriately, it would be a sin.
I can't just do another woman just cause I want to.
I have no problem with a gay person who admits their struggle to do the right thing.
A hetero or gay person that does not admits he is wrong I do have a problem with.
The laws are clear in the Bible.....and are for all to follow

Old 10-24-2008, 04:38 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,980,808 times
Sodomy is against GOD according to Thy beloved Bible; however, many gay men do not engage in any sodomy whatsoever...so HAHA on you. :P

Old 10-24-2008, 04:51 PM

artsy...that is exactly what i have said here...1ST LINE....Being gay is not a sin!

Old 10-24-2008, 04:57 PM

356 posts, read 1,129,829 times
The probelm with having a discussion about homosexuality with fundies is that they believe it is a choice. The conversation is pretty much over before it begins.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:04 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,466,891 times
It is also controversial whether the word 'homosexuality' in English is the proper translation for the words found in the Bible. In English the word can refer to behavior or to identity. Discussing these distinctions with your typical lay fundamentalist Protestant Christian is bound to be futile.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:15 PM

348 posts, read 502,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMALIVINGSTONE View Post

A hetero or gay person that does not admits he is wrong I do have a problem with.
The laws are clear in the Bible.....and are for all to follow
The thing you need to take on board is, IMALIVINGSTONE, the bible is only a Book of Laws to YOU.

If I decided to get together a random bunch of people to write a totally new Book of Laws based on my own mindset and prejudices, with a few fantastic stories thrown in, and had it printed and promoted world-wide - would you take that as your guide in life?

But that is exactly what the bible is - it has no more validity than any other volume of stories, because I, too, could loudly claim that every word in my new book was written by god - and neither you, or anybody else, could prove otherwise! Maybe in 2000 years' time it would be read in all the churches, and scores of people would regard it as sacred, just like the bible. You might also find a copy of it in all hotel rooms, and even people swearing on it in courts of law.

You get my drift...

So when you expect me to obey the bible, I simply want to remind you that it is utterly irrelevant to me, and deeply offensive too. So please don't inflict your own views on right and wrong on all and sundry and expect them to start grovelling. That is simply arrogant of you.

And if, as you say, you have a problem accepting someone's right to reject your world-view, may I suggest you remember it is just that - YOUR PROBLEM...

With respect, Brian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.