Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 12:47 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,195 times

Advertisements

i grew up a christian. but after awhile of contemplation i realized christians don't seeeemmm to understand the bible or even their own religion as i see it. i now don't believe god exists....yet.....so i guess im kind of an atheist , but not non religious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 06:43 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,632,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegirl View Post
Probably even less than I did. Yes, like many others, my parents were good, moral people without a Christian influence. I know that's so hard for you to understand but just try....
Since like 90% of people, at least in the U.S., believe in God, you are saying that your parents, grew up with absolutely no Christian influences. They would have had to live in a remote area of the desert or Alaska for that to have happened. I don't think you are thinking your situation or their situation through. None or your and/or their friends or relatives were Christian? Do you live in Saudi Arabia or remote China?

If you live in an relatively urban or no so rural area of the U.S., I am not buying it.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:23 AM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Since like 90% of people, at least in the U.S., believe in God, you are saying that your parents, grew up with absolutely no Christian influences. They would have had to live in a remote area of the desert or Alaska for that to have happened. I don't think you are thinking your situation or their situation through. None or your and/or their friends or relatives were Christian? Do you live in Saudi Arabia or remote China?

If you live in an relatively urban or no so rural area of the U.S., I am not buying it.
Why is that so hard to believe? The only Christian influence I have encountered for years are the "witnesses" that come knocking.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:30 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post

Since you are so determined that I or my parents were influenced by Christian influences, I'll give you this. My dad's family were 2nd generation NON PRACTICING Catholics. Not a day in their life was spent at mass. They only called themselves Catholic or religious if the moment suited them. I haven't seen or spoken to my paternal grandmother in 20 years & my paternal grandfather died when I was 12. I never knew my great grandparents on either side. My maternal grandfather was an alcoholic who became "born again" after he found out he was dying of liver failure. My poor sweet dear grandmother who put up with his treatment for 30 years felt that she deserved no better than to keep her mouth shut & 'be a good wife' because marriage was a 'sacred union'. Those were mine & my parents 'Christian influences'.. Have at it-

I know & associate with many Christians.. without calling them an 'influence'. Most just accept 'just because' & never question the world around them. Not the influence I want. Now if we go back far enough, sure, I've had Christians in my life- 2nd or 3rd cousins, my great aunt, my 10th grade best friend's family. Did they influence me as Christians? No. I could say the same for you- go back far enough in your family (or friend) tree & I'll bet your life has been influenced by an atheist or agnostic, whether you like it or not. Frankly, I'm influenced by a kind heart, a good spirit or a thoughtful gesture and no, that doesn't always go hand in hand with Christianity.

My parents never steered me towards or away from religion. They let me figure it out on my own & for that I'm appreciative.

Now with the gloomy post about my family above, I have to say I love life! My husband & kids are the best in the world & I am in amazement of nature & the world around me. I can do all this without Christianity. I'm happy being 'agnostic'- I don't know, I don't care & I don't feel the need to worry about it. I'm busy enjoying a wonderful life~

Last edited by PixiStix; 06-11-2008 at 02:02 PM..

Old 06-11-2008, 12:48 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,884,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkdoc View Post
Are there any other ex-religious people that are now agnostics or atheists?

I was raised in a protestant home and I am now agnostic, although leaning toward atheism.

It's funny because religion is supposed to give one such happiness and pleasure. It made me feel miserable and scared.

I now find myself relaxed, calm, and generally happier.
Here's the OP folks.

Please , in the future, report posts that are blatantly off-topic or hijacks of the thread.

It's impossible to clean this one up without removing some good posts from both sides of the fence.

So I'm restating the OP here and hoping everyone will get back on track.

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:58 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Raised Baptist. Became a deist my freshman year at high school. Became an atheist my junior year.
Interesting. Why didn't you just stay a deist?

Old 06-15-2008, 12:06 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,233,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Here's the OP folks.

Please , in the future, report posts that are blatantly off-topic or hijacks of the thread.

It's impossible to clean this one up without removing some good posts from both sides of the fence.

So I'm restating the OP here and hoping everyone will get back on track.

Thanks.
Well, I was born, raised and baptized Catholic, then 'came to my senses' around the age of twelve because a Japanese friend of mine at that time simply asked me why I believe in God. I gave all of the typical answers of If there wasn't a God then how this or why that. I felt stupid and realized that I only believed in God because that was how I was raised and I didn't know any difference enough to question it.

After many years of self-deliberation I came to the conclusion that the Universe does not exist within the confines that (the many) Abrahamic religion(s) say(s) it does.

I am not an atheist (nor agnostic) myself, but I will say with confidence that the majority of atheist in the United States originally had some sort of religious belief system before they become and atheist.

Old 06-15-2008, 12:41 AM

4 posts, read 21,526 times
Do agnostics have a set of beliefs or practices generally agreed upon by most agnostics? What is the differences between agnostics and atheist. Do atheist have a set of beliefs?

Old 06-15-2008, 05:38 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,258,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by presrem View Post
Do agnostics have a set of beliefs or practices generally agreed upon by most agnostics? What is the differences between agnostics and atheist. Do atheist have a set of beliefs?
The only thing atheists have in common is that they have concluded that there is no god. Agnostics step back from that affirmative statement and leave a door open saying that since one cannot prove that there is no god just as one cannot prove that there is a god, then the agnostic will say absolutely that there is no god. The agnostic does not believe in a god but leave open the possibility that there might be some unknown and undetectable god-being.

But again, the god question is the only thing they have in common.

Quote:
I am not an atheist (nor agnostic) myself, but I will say with confidence that the majority of atheist in the United States originally had some sort of religious belief system before they become and atheist.
I have an old friend who was never given any religious instruction growing up and is an atheist still. He never ran across anything to convince him that there is any sort of deity and no reason to make up one either. So he is one who did not come to atheism from religion. I don't think you can make generalizations like that.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:40 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Interesting. Why didn't you just stay a deist?
The flaws in the concept of creation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism