Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:05 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times

Advertisements

Agreed. Some are uncomfortable with the final French Polish the English got after Hastings, but it smooths the otherwise rough edges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 04:35 AM

uhh...nothing to do with atheism, and I usually deplore posting pics or vids without a post but...
Attached Thumbnails
Tolkien ToR-w-shakespeare-saurone-greate.jpg  

Old 04-18-2017, 03:07 PM

1,248 posts, read 823,596 times
Default Uncleftish Beholding

Little to do with Tolkien, but something of a view into the (Germanic) English language as he loved it: a bit of physics in purely Germanic terms.

https://msburkeenglish.files.wordpre...mic-theory.pdf

Old 04-18-2017, 10:10 PM

I like it! It gives a long unrecognized importance to "Stuff" in Physics. Indeed, Stuff is the stuff of physics.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:27 PM

1,248 posts, read 823,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I like it! It gives a long unrecognized importance to "Stuff" in Physics. Indeed, Stuff is the stuff of physics.
Well, in German the basic elements have names like Wasserstoff (hydrogen) - water-stuff, Sauerstoff (oxygen) - sour-stuff, Stickstoff (nitrogen) - smother-stuff and Kohlenstoff (carbon) - coal-stuff. You see why I love this language? It is wonderfully expressive and to-the-point. All stuff indeed.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:32 PM

William I you are forgiven. Do they a word like Bibel -stuff? And I bet they have a great word for fart -gas.

Old 04-24-2017, 03:21 PM

504 posts, read 300,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Well, in German the basic elements have names like Wasserstoff (hydrogen) - water-stuff, Sauerstoff (oxygen) - sour-stuff, Stickstoff (nitrogen) - smother-stuff and Kohlenstoff (carbon) - coal-stuff. You see why I love this language? It is wonderfully expressive and to-the-point. All stuff indeed.
Ahh, but the vernacular German requires 18 adjectives to describe something before you ever hear a noun.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
Ahh, but the vernacular German requires 18 adjectives to describe something before you ever hear a noun.
Just as well - at my age I need to think a minute or two before I can recall it.

Btw - I'm not sure I'm not sure I like the update of Total war LoR factions. While the detail is excellent, the gold and silver and blue is gone and it's all grey iron. The elves don't really look elvish.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:02 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,621,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Anyone who has followed my posts at all know that LoP made a profound impression on me. It was a rattling good story at the time and the preface warned me immediately against analogy.

Since then, it was become almost a sort of Bibletext for picking relevant or applicable, rather quotes to underline points I make.

Of course, Tolkien was a British Catholic and saw Mordor as the hosts of cynical materialistic non -belief. It is a source of wry amusement to me especially as the argument he uses apply better to theist apologetics than to atheism.

Along with the assembly of Elgar's 3rd and completion of Bruckner's 9th, the long awaited film version was a great event. And it was done with fidelity and understanding and love for the books. Which was very important. There was a fair amount of change but all for good reason, and even improving the story. Even the sad loss of the scouring of the Shire i had to accept was for good reasons.

So I don't know whether there will be any discussion, but watching the talk here struck me as showing just how relevant and timeless the trilogy is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PXuYK82rik

I see real inspiration in these stories as well. I especially like the way he created the different races and how detailed his descriptions of their cultures is. Looking through history, it makes me wonder if these other races were more than just legend and myth. Elves, Dwarves and Goblins seem to be a common theme through so many different places and peoples it seems possible. Tolkein put a face to all the legend and myth. Gave it personality beyond just old legend. Took it to a whole different level.

I've often pondered that these other races did exist at some point, and over time were basically just absorbed into the far larger number of Men, as a race. In people watching I have often looked at various physical traits and theorized that these could have come from Elf, or Dwarf DNA in someones lineage. Short, squat, powerful stature and a large squarish head, slanted blue or green eyes, arching brows, ears that almost come to points (without any...modifications) I've found it to be a fun and interesting exercise. Even looked at myself and tried to break things down. Have a little trouble reconciling the Goblins/Orcs but then I think of people who do have some very odd physical traits and are truly evil and vicious and it gets easier.

I read and re read those books countless times when I was in school, and just recently have started again. It had been so long since I last read them and my comprehension and focus is a lot better now than when I first read these volumes. It's a different experience now. A friend of mine years back told me there was a directors cut version where Jackson did have the scouring of the Shire. Even said he had watched it. But if that's so I have been unable to find any such version. Having that would have changed a lot. Grima being killed by Legolas at Isengard and how the Palantir was procured from Saruman for sure.

These books have inspired a lot of other reading and research for me over the years. Seeing the movies was a real treat after the cartoon version of the late 70s. Though the music in the latter was pretty good. The Elves have been a special point of interest for me. In the stores themselves I don't see much of any theism at all, and I've heard various people criticize these works as being unsuited for a Christian to read. Alongside Harry Potter and Tarzan of the Apes. I've only read one of the Harry Potters but have read the whole series of Tarzan multiple times. Not much of a bookbanning fan. But beyond the stories themselves I havn't delved into Tolkein's biography and such as you seem to have. So that I'm missing something is more than possible.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:26 PM

Yes. While I regretted that the scouring was missed out, I understood why it had to go. But it would be nice if they released it as a separate episode. It's rather interesting by the way, that some complained about the Lothlorian elves being sent to help at Helm's deep. In fact it was a master stroke and made more sense than Galadriel sending for the Rangers to go searching for Aragorn somewhere in Rohan.

As to the races, I watched a you tube on the Orcs. It was interesting that Tolkien hadn't decided their origins. They were there before men even appeared (according to Tolkien's mythology) and supposed to be corrupted elves. But that is what one would expect from The Free Peoples Ministry of Propaganda. If the Orcs had won, we might have a different history indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism