Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 01:21 AM

745 posts, read 1,582,908 times

Advertisements

all the way to Facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 02:56 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
I joined an Atheist group in my community but gave it up because they weren't very organized and not politically motivated. I think atheist activism may become more and more necessary over time because the religious right is bent on infringing on our freedom: intelligent design/creationism in schools, reproductive rights taken away based on religion, multiple "blue laws" around the country, etc.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:32 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Many Christians believe the best way to teach the word is to "witness"......teach by example in how they live their daily lives.
Sounds good to me and is about as 'far as I take it'.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,457 times
I've joined the secular student alliance on my school's campus, I don't get extreme about it, live and let live. I do advocate STRONGLY for the first amendment, especially when it comes to issues of abortion and gay rights.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,355,367 times
I don't do anything with it except when people make remarks about god/religion assuming I am of like mind. I quickly inform them that I am not a believer. And I did have to ask a friend who would send out emails with links to cutesy religious cartoons or whatnot to stop including me in those emails. I do not allow anyone to presume I am a believer. It doesn't come up often, but when it does, I address it.

Old 01-19-2013, 01:30 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Not very far. I discuss it from time to time with a co-worker of mine who I found out is also an atheist. If someone asks me where I go to church or what I believe or something along those lines then I've become much better at answering with a very truthful but non-threatening answer. I did write a letter to Bobby Jindal when he basically opened the door for Creationism to be taught in schools despite the fact that I don't live in Louisiana. Ummm... That's about it. Oh, I do like the Cognitive Dissonance podcast which is a skeptical/atheist podcast.

So, I listen to a very funny weekly podcast, I wrote a letter to Bobby Jindal once upon a time, I respond honestly when asked what my beliefs are, and on some occasions my co-worker and I will have a discussion.

I'd say that puts me in the "Not so active" section of the atheist movement.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:19 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times
I am not an activist. I happily share my atheism with anyone who asks but other than that, this forum is about the closet I come to actually "taking it somewhere".

Old 01-19-2013, 11:13 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
me too, I don't see the need to go "tell it on the mountain", if someone wants to question the existence of a god or if their beliefs are valid, they can do so. I don't have to steer them just like I don't want anyone to preach to me.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:47 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
I am not an activist. I happily share my atheism with anyone who asks but other than that, this forum is about the closet I come to actually "taking it somewhere".
Same here. I like to debate and argue religious matters, bt I personally do not see the point at all in joining an atheist group or a forum exclusively for atheists.

To me that's like having a club for people who don't collect stamps. I just happen not to collect stamps; I just happen not to believe in gods. My lack of belief really doesn't impact my life at all and I'm not militant about it.

If someone says "God bless you" to me I just think "Well, that was a kind gesture." I'm not going to get in their face and holler "There IS NO GOD, you simpering imbecile!!!"

Old 01-20-2013, 01:11 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Same here. I like to debate and argue religious matters, bt I personally do not see the point at all in joining an atheist group or a forum exclusively for atheists.

To me that's like having a club for people who don't collect stamps. I just happen not to collect stamps; I just happen not to believe in gods. My lack of belief really doesn't impact my life at all and I'm not militant about it.

If someone says "God bless you" to me I just think "Well, that was a kind gesture." I'm not going to get in their face and holler "There IS NO GOD, you simpering imbecile!!!"
The one valid reason why many atheists seek to organize with other atheists is to counter the efforts of religious interests which seek to change the laws that affect us all. There are PLENTY of examples of religious-based laws already on the books that we atheists have to live by. This is in direct conflict with the U.S. Constituion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism