Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:55 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,901,596 times

Advertisements

I am an Atheist who likes Christians, so here is my opinion.

They probably feel that the Government is picking away at their way of living.

To them, it may appear the Government endorses abortion and equal rights for gay people. In 1963, we would say the Lord's Prayer in class each morning. For Easter and Christmas, we had specail performances in school and sang religious songs like "The Old Rugged Cross" and "Gladly, the cross-eyed bear" (at least that was how it sounded to me).

I guess the Christians feel that Government is pushing them into a corner, and they associate the Government with Liberals and the ACLU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 09:26 AM

210 posts, read 269,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You either missed the point or are dodging the question.
Those politcians claim to be driven by the Bible.

So again, I ask you, where is the religious left in the US? Does it exist?

Old 10-31-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icametodropbombs View Post
So again, I ask you, where is the religious left in the US? Does it exist?
It does not exist now, but it existed in the 1960's.

There were some Catholic priests (the Berrigan brothers?) who were against the Vietnam War and supported other liberal causes, but that was before the abortion and gay marriage issues made Catholics more conservative.

I guess that makes sense. If you do not like killing, then you are probably against war, and you are also against abortions.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post

I guess that makes sense. If you do not like killing, then you are probably against war, and you are also against abortions.
Interesting. Though I think that thinking is a bit too black and white to make sense to me. But maybe that's why they aren't around anymore; perhaps due to understanding the science/biology behind abortion? Or maybe it's just a cultural change...

Old 10-31-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Though I think that thinking is a bit too black and white to make sense to me.
On the surface, your statement is shocking! Are you saying that a simple, logical argument doesn't make sense to you?

On the other hand, I think you have a good point. We often use gut instinct to form our opinions and make our decisions, and then use logic to back them up.

Anyway, there may be some Liberal Christians hidden away in a hippie commune somewhere.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 AM

17 posts, read 18,471 times
Quote:
I disagree. To wit:

Deuteronomy 15:11
11 There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your brothers and toward the poor and needy in your land.

Psalm 82:3-4
3 Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. 4 Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.

Proverbs 14:31
31 He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.

Proverbs 19:1
1 Better a poor man whose walk is blameless than a fool whose lips are perverse.

Proverbs 19:17
17 He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done.

But that still doesn't answer the question: where is the religious left?
You are now officially my hero. If I have to hear one more ignorant "common wisdom" statement from a political ideologue, I may explode.

To answer your question, I think it's a combination of our perpetual need to defy what the rest of the world does (with mixed results), and a simple result of our unique history. Also, our government system was founded on resistance to change. If American culture and her political landscape didn't cause that, they was certainly shaped by it.

Quote:
On the other hand, I think you have a good point. We often use gut instinct to form our opinions and make our decisions, and then use logic to back them up.
If by "often" you mean "naturally," I completely agree with you.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
On the surface, your statement is shocking! Are you saying that a simple, logical argument doesn't make sense to you?

Anyway, there may be some Liberal Christians hidden away in a hippie commune somewhere.
But of course that's not logic backing up their preconceived notions, that's just confirmation bias.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
But of course that's not logic backing up their preconceived notions, that's just confirmation bias.
Yes, that is what most of us do.

We make biased decisions and try to use logic to back them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism