Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2023, 02:27 PM

671 posts, read 316,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
I'm not disputing the Taiwanese lack of desire to join a unified China. Can't imagine any nation that has been independent for the past 60+ years would want to join another. However, even if they so desired to join China, the U.S. would not allow it, because it would change geopolitics in the area in a direction unfavorable U.S. interest. My point stands, self-determination as a right, only exist if the government assuming power will be favorable (or neutral in some circumstances) to the dominate power. The people of Donetsk could be in favor of being independent as opposed to joining Russia, the problem is neither the Ukraine nor its Western backers will allow such a situation.
I would say the number in favor of reunify is similar to the number in favor of independent. Both are a drop in the bucket compare to the vast majority that favors keeping status quo and peace.

people bringing this BS about how china is forcing one country two system upon tw. what they didn't know is that the status quo/current stands is actually "one country two systems"

it's still one country when tw never declare/recognized as an independent country.
i don't need to explain why it's already two systems.

the so call forcing one country two systems upon tw is nothing but memes and political bs.

the western democracy becomes terrible when the things politicians do to get elected is far different than the things they should do to make people's live better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 02:37 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,872,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Since the end of the Chiang martial law era, AFAIK no politician in power in Taiwan has ever made attempts at toppling the regime in Beijing. They’ve signed trade agreements, made attempts at peaceful dialogue and more and yet they are being accused of being a pro-war, hawkish puppet regime of the United States by people who support a military invasion if they don’t agree to the CCP’s rule under one country, two systems. Why? Because of strange superstitions regarding the “mandate of heaven”, etc, despite them supporting a regime that enforces state atheism and has done more damage to Chinese culture than any foreign power could ever dream of. There’s no discussion to be had, anyone who seriously believes Taiwan should submit to CCP rule is living in kooky La La land and there’s no way to convince them no matter how many undisputed facts are presented.
Re: state atheism and religion... Currently, the Dalai Lama is selecting a Tibetan child in India to be his successor. In response, the CCP has said that only the CCP can select the new Dalai Lama, because in 1653, the 15th Dalai Lama visited Beijing and his title was conferred by the emperor; CCP logic is that this sets a precedent that China's central government is the only body which can legitimately appoint a Dalai Lama. Nevermind that the state is atheist or... They are also the ruling religious body, and all spiritual concerns must follow star guidelines, even if it's something outside of China's borders. It's just farcical, there's no way for them to enforce it, and it's such a ridiculous revision of history and fact looks absurd to any outside audience.

http://www.firstpost.com/opinion/the...-12358992.html

Old 03-30-2023, 02:53 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,077,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
I would say the number in favor of reunify is similar the number in favor of independent. Both are a drop in the bucket compare to the vast majority that favors keeping status quo and peace.

people bringing this BS about how china is forcing one country two system upon tw. what they didn't know is that the status quo/current stands is actually "one country two systems"
If both sides wanted to keep status quo, then there would be no problem. The problem is that China is not happy with status quo and is actively planning for war against Taiwan.

And when China says one country two systems, they mean two systems decided by the CCP. They will never agree to letting Taiwan choose their own system like today.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice_Major View Post
I'm not disputing the Taiwanese lack of desire to join a unified China. Can't imagine any nation that has been independent for the past 60+ years would want to join another. However, even if they so desired to join China, the U.S. would not allow it, because it would change geopolitics in the area in a direction unfavorable U.S. interest. My point stands, self-determination as a right, only exist if the government assuming power will be favorable (or neutral in some circumstances) to the dominate power. The people of Donetsk could be in favor of being independent as opposed to joining Russia, the problem is neither the Ukraine nor its Western backers will allow such a situation.
But again, your point is irrelevant because the current reality is not one where Taiwan wants to be under CCP control, so it's irrelevant as to whether the US would "allow" Taiwan to be absorbed by the mainland. There's basically no conceivable way in the next few decades that the Taiwanese would willingly accept CCP administration.

You're reiterating your distaste for the US and West at large, which everyone here already knows. Comparing Taiwan to Vietnam or Cuba is pointless; you're right, the majority of Vietnamese and Cuban people didn't like the Western-aligned regimes and were either pro-reform or at the very least, were accepting of the change, and US military involvement was not welcomed by the majority of the populace.

Taiwan does not want the CCP taking control of the island, they've spent decades arming themselves, preparing their forces, and establishing and maintaining relations with nations who can aid them in preventing or warding off an attack from the mainland. The US is declining to put boots in the ground in TW, establish a garrison, etc, and hasn't attempted to install a sympathetic leader or depose a hostile one against the will of its people. Hell, here on this forum, let alone Chinese state-backed media, the anti-US crowd makes a big deal about the US "not truly supporting" Taiwan, and claims the US won't get involved because it's not in its best interests! So, which is it?

Old 03-30-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maomao View Post
I would say the number in favor of reunify is similar to the number in favor of independent. Both are a drop in the bucket compare to the vast majority that favors keeping status quo and peace.

it's still one country when tw never declare/recognized as an independent country.
i don't need to explain why it's already two systems.

the so call forcing one country two systems upon tw is nothing but memes and political bs.

the western democracy becomes terrible when the things politicians do to get elected is far different than the things they should do to make people's live better.
The status quo is a "one country two systems" one, where both claim rightful control over the other. Since both have traditionally realized this is practically impossible and a war would be bad, this status quo has remained and even flourished, with both CN and TW administering themselves separately.

Now, one side - the mainland - is actively trying to enforce "one country two systems" policy where Taiwan is entirely administered by the CCP, who would dictate which elements would comprise a separate "system." Taiwan has always declined this, and what support this had gained vanished after the HK crackdowns. So now, the CCP is threatening to take Taiwan via force, thus breaking that status quo.

Old 03-30-2023, 04:21 PM
pdw

2,675 posts, read 3,098,337 times
The Pro-Beijing argument falls flat when presented with facts. It only makes sense to extremely nationalistic Chinese communists, so they have to use half-truths, deliberate misrepresentation of facts and whataboutism because it’s the only arguments they have. Every thing else seems like cult-like zealousness to CCP party doctrine and no one reading will possibly be convinced after seeing the full story unless they were brainwashed since birth to believe in that garbage.

Old 04-02-2023, 04:03 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,447,228 times
What America should have done once they decided to give the PRC recognition instead of Taiwan in 1978? Give Taiwan the nuclear bomb as a parting gift. That would have ended all this Chinese nonsense. I do wonder why Taiwan has been unable to develop one all this time. I mean if starving and bankrupt countries like North Korea and Pakistan can develop nuclear weapons, you would think an advanced economy like Taiwan could have also done so by now. Having the bomb would immediately end all Chinese aggression since they would now be facing complete destruction if they dared try to invade.

I think Taiwan has to go this route. The US is NOT coming to the rescue should China invade. Only being nuclear armed will give Taiwan the peace guarantee that it is currently lacking.

Old 04-02-2023, 11:55 PM

671 posts, read 316,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
What America should have done once they decided to give the PRC recognition instead of Taiwan in 1978? Give Taiwan the nuclear bomb as a parting gift. That would have ended all this Chinese nonsense. I do wonder why Taiwan has been unable to develop one all this time. I mean if starving and bankrupt countries like North Korea and Pakistan can develop nuclear weapons, you would think an advanced economy like Taiwan could have also done so by now. Having the bomb would immediately end all Chinese aggression since they would now be facing complete destruction if they dared try to invade.

I think Taiwan has to go this route. The US is NOT coming to the rescue should China invade. Only being nuclear armed will give Taiwan the peace guarantee that it is currently lacking.
haha, i'm not sure if you're old enough to know about the cuban missle crisis and trying to make a carbon copy of that.

well, you would have known about the cold war as well. And how the working with PRC actually helped to defeat the USSR and made the US people like you and me rich as we are today.

the US won't give any asian nukes, if they would, they would have gave it to japan and korea already.

Old 04-03-2023, 03:27 PM

1,651 posts, read 869,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post

To your first suggestion that the U.S. should have just given Taiwan a nuclear bomb. In that case the Soveit Union or China should have just given one to North Korea, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, or any other U.S. adversary. That would have ended all this Americans nonsense right. The world works off reciprocity. Giving nuclear weapons opens a Pandora box.

Making the a nuclear bomb isn't the difficult part. Having the will power to sustain and persevere against sanctions and endless military threats from countries who already have nuclear weapons is the difficult part.

Old 04-03-2023, 03:32 PM

1,651 posts, read 869,929 times
People worried about China invading Taiwan. In the meantime leaders in the U.S. are threatening military force to our southern neighbor Mexico. So sad. When will this bullying and acts of aggression stop. I mean we already took chunks of land from them in the 1800s.

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...rce-in-mexico/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia