Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2008, 05:27 AM

1 posts, read 10,411 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Iam about to go and work in Ho Chi Minh city in Vietnam, i will run a branch of a company there.
the company will cover my accomodation and transportation costs, and they will pay me a salary of US 1350...

Is this salary sufficient. and if it is, how much I can save from it?

PLEASE GUYS I NEED SOMEONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT LIVING COSTS THERE TO HELP ME.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 01:30 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,288,872 times
Probably, I don't know though, this is not a light matter, better to look more. there not a lot of vietnamese here. Find the exchange rate between vietnamese currency and US currency. With the falling dollar you might want to ask for a hgih salary. IF the exchange rate is 1=1 or 1=2 then outlook not so good. even if the cost of living might be lower.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:25 PM

5 posts, read 29,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Probably, I don't know though, this is not a light matter, better to look more. there not a lot of vietnamese here. Find the exchange rate between vietnamese currency and US currency. With the falling dollar you might want to ask for a hgih salary. IF the exchange rate is 1=1 or 1=2 then outlook not so good. even if the cost of living might be lower.
I am Vietnamese, grew up in Hanoi, have been to HCM City many times. If I made what you will be making, I'd be able to save more than 1/2 of my salary. Unless you have a family to support, it's a great compensation.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:33 AM

37 posts, read 169,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabnas88 View Post
Hi all,
Iam about to go and work in Ho Chi Minh city in Vietnam, i will run a branch of a company there.
the company will cover my accomodation and transportation costs, and they will pay me a salary of US 1350...

thanks
Question is where are you moving from? If you can save $600/month and you are from papua new guinea you might be alright. If you want to move to NYC after your stay in Saigon you might need substantially more money.

I really investigated moving to HCMC from California last year for a business opportunity. I have been to VN three times and prices seem to increase every year. Decent expat housing will cost you $2,500/months. A nice house in District 2 will run $4,000/month or more.

Unless your company supplies you with a car and driver or pays your cab fare everywhere you will be stuck riding a scooter rain or shine. There is no usable public transportation in HCMC. Bangkok is about 15 years ahead of HCMC in that regard. I think I just read in the VN news that 2008 will actually break ground for a subway in HCMC.

I find a salary of $1,350/month very low for an expat managment position. My wife's cousin makes around $1,200/month in midlevel management as a local Vietnamese citizen. keep in mind that Vn is still a comunist country and they will tax the "rich" up the ying yang. You are considered rich if you make more than $400/month. YOu will pay 40% taxes to the corupt government as an expat.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:55 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabnas88 View Post
Hi all,

thanks
I just spent a month in VN last Feb/Mar. 1350USD will allow you to get by. You will not be in the lap of luxury.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 9,620 times
Default in the same boat, of sorts

i've been offered a post there as well. i go to HCMC several times a year so the price increases are not news to me. what i'm wondering about is how much should be the minimum i'd negotiate for. i was offered the same amount (US$1350) a month, plus an additional US$1000 living expenses BUT i'm bringing my family there. over here (in Manila) my husband and i earn money, but over there i would be the only one working. of course as an expat there isn't going to be any social insurance and my company doesn't really spring for medical insurance (at least from what i've seen from the other expats who have to pay for their own). my kid is too young for regular school, so toddler groups won't be covered by my company. based on my traveler experience and my standards of living of about US$20/day/person, i would need about US$1860 for my family to live on (food, transportation). this does not yet include rent, utilities and emergency funds - let alone savings. are my expectations/calculations realistic, considering i'm basing it on my business expenses (living in hotels, dining out)? is it really reasonable to have an ok standard of living at US$10/day/person?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia