Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 01:18 AM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times

Advertisements

Wrong to mistake a Thai smile for necessary friendliness. They are said to have a smile for most every occasion. If the smiling stops, best beat a hasty retreat. Do not get into arguments or attempt to intimidate a Thai through greater western body mass. You will more than likely come out second best. Getting into arguments especially with taxi drivers and the like or with groups of young Thai's in pubs also not a good idea.
I get the feeling many a Thai are somewhat jaded by so many foreign tourists coming to their country and barely tolerate it but hardly applaud it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 03:23 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,969,392 times
And where might be a good place to get into an argument at a pub? Or with a group of youths? Just make sure the cabin will use the meter...any problems the just call the Tourist Police, and you might be surprised how quickly and to what lengths they will go to get you a refund. There are many places where you can stay and not use cabs, tuktuks, or Moto taxis...Bus is only 25 cents us, for non aircon, which I often use because I get too much of.

Anyone watch the scammed in China YouTube videos..done by the South African guy, who has a Chinese wife. There are many similarities to some of the scams in BKK and Beijing.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:30 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
I get the feeling many a Thai are somewhat jaded by so many foreign tourists coming to their country and barely tolerate it but hardly applaud it.

Yes and no. Gotta remember that 80% of the tourists will be found in Sukhumvait, Khao Sao Road, Chiang Mai and Phuket. Thailand is a big country!

Even in Bangkok, once you get past Phrom Phong BTS it's mostly Thai.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:25 AM

1,136 posts, read 524,306 times
Foreigners will see more smiles in Thailand than HK.
In HK a smile is friendliness, don't believe some people say it means embarrassment or shyness.
Smiles in HK are rare but that is just differences in cultures, not really something bad.

HK is mostly safe unless you get into trouble with someone angry.
It is not rare foreigners are involved in violence incidents with travellers or foreigners living in HK in nightlife places of HK.

Quote:
Wrong to mistake a Thai smile for necessary friendliness. They are said to have a smile for most every occasion. If the smiling stops, best beat a hasty retreat. Do not get into arguments or attempt to intimidate a Thai through greater western body mass. You will more than likely come out second best. Getting into arguments especially with taxi drivers and the like or with groups of young Thai's in pubs also not a good idea.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:15 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
If just staying in the city either city is fine for a single traveller, as long as you take all the necessary precautions. The biggest thing to watch out for in Bangkok is scams, if anyone comes up to you with a deal, or if a tuk tuk driver tells you something, don't take his word for it. If he insists to take you to a travel agency just say no thanks - and if he does anyone don't pay for any tours or anything. Also, a lot of the bars in BKK basically extort you. Basically, like anywhere, stay away from the seedy side of things. Hong Kong is a lot safer than it was in the old days, so unless you go looking for a problem it should be very safe. In fact it's one of the safest cities in the world. Both are extremely tourist friendly, especially Hong Kong, and most people in the tourism industry speak passable English.
Right on target. I spent a lot of time visiting, and later living in Bangkok. I can't think of a single time that I felt afraid, whether day or night. One of my favorite things to do was to just pick an area of the city and go out walking with no particular destination. Never a problem...

Except, as you mention -- scams. But I didn't consider the scamming to be dangerous.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:17 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
I think this is a good point.

What I found about Thais was that they were generally friendly, but that was very shallow.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:59 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,160,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think this is a good point.

What I found about Thais was that they were generally friendly, but that was very shallow.

In a funny way, I think the Thai attitude towards the western farang is improved a bit for two main reasons:

1. Much of the party people have shifted from BKK to Phuket.
2. The Chinese are filling the void of #1. I've heard from many a mild mannered Thai how to have disdain for the Chinese. So if the Thais had to choose between the creepy 60 year old sex tourist or a Chinese tourist, I'm not entirely sure they wouldn't pick the sex tourist. Perhaps they now realize that things would revert back to the way they were before?

Just a hunch, would love to hear your guys thoughts?

Old 02-07-2020, 03:28 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,563 times
I would not mind going to Hong Kong alone, even as an older woman. But I would worry about Thailand. We get conned in one of the scams a few years ago. Also DD had her bag snatched from her shoulder in Bangkok, while riding in a tuk-tuk with her husband beside her. Could not prevent it and nearly threw her shoulder out while attempting to. I also loathe the weather in Thailand as well as the traffic.

Have been to HK about eight times and always felt safe and found it so easy to get around.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:54 PM

1,136 posts, read 524,306 times
On 7th Feb, a top Thai health official said the western tourists refusing to wear masks in Thailand now should be deported. He said Thais gave them free masks, but they refused. He also said Asians wear but Westerners don't.

A real example of Thais' dissatisfaction of foreigners' behaviours not acceptable in Thailand.

Most Asian health experts recommend wearing masks in public to protect everyone during respiratory viruses outbreaks. Westerners don't follow this recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia