Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 07:59 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
How much time have you actually spent in Asia and in China?
A fair bit. Been to China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and Sri Lanka. What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 09:25 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
A fair bit. Been to China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and Sri Lanka. What about you?
None. Too far away for me ATM I have to make do with my expat friends here in town from Vietnam, China, Taiwan, and Japan

Old 01-25-2014, 09:51 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,071,354 times
Quote:
Yeah compared to Norway maybe. Which areas are you most familiar with and what socio-economic groups?
I'm in Tianjin and I mostly know people from the upper middle class, meaning a family income between 10K to 20K. They are also among the more conservative people in China.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:03 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,071,354 times
Quote:
^ Yep that sums it up pretty well. I notice in Asia in general you see more women doing labouring jobs, more heavy lifting sort of work, than you do here. I'd say the majority of Chinese women, even the younger ones who make up etc, aren't exactly very feminine. The older ones who grew up under communism are very business-like and gruff, no dainty flowers at all, they're the opposite of romantic. In that sense they remind me of the typical Australian woman.
That's very true. Under communism both men and women were forced to work and the government decided what they will do. They should wear the same kind of clothes and be almost alike. That still remains and many Chinese women are not used to dressing up or use colors. They are also more accepting to do manual labor.

But that is changing. Skirts and dresses are becoming much more popular, people are starting to use more colors, make up is becoming more common and young girls often try to look cute. Chinese women are becoming more feminine, they are becoming more similar to countries like Taiwan, South Korea and Japan.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
That's very true. Under communism both men and women were forced to work and the government decided what they will do. They should wear the same kind of clothes and be almost alike. That still remains and many Chinese women are not used to dressing up or use colors. They are also more accepting to do manual labor.

But that is changing. Skirts and dresses are becoming much more popular, people are starting to use more colors, make up is becoming more common and young girls often try to look cute. Chinese women are becoming more feminine, they are becoming more similar to countries like Taiwan, South Korea and Japan.
Yep. In a way that's a step back, not that there's anything wrong with looking like that, but you seen an attendant rise in rather shallow, looks-obsessed people too. China is also becoming consumeristic.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
None. Too far away for me ATM I have to make do with my expat friends here in town from Vietnam, China, Taiwan, and Japan
Ah, well then it'll be an adventure when you do come! Don't miss Singapore or Malaysia, if only for the food!

Old 01-26-2014, 01:31 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Ah, well then it'll be an adventure when you do come! Don't miss Singapore or Malaysia, if only for the food!
Oh man I wouldn't miss it for the world. Singapore and Malaysia are at the top of my list. You're lucky you were born in Singapore!

Old 01-26-2014, 01:46 AM

372 posts, read 1,006,275 times
Quote:
Oh man I wouldn't miss it for the world. Singapore and Malaysia are at the top of my list. You're lucky you were born in Singapore!
" @ Postman " = he is a chinese descent of both parents coming from Malaysia and Singapore , so we are not surprised at see all his comment his was always proud of the "Malaysia and Singapore's" country of origin of his parents ^ ^

Old 01-26-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Haha i used to be annoyed I just missed out on being born in Australia, but now I embrace the fact I have 'another' hometown.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
" @ Postman " = he is a chinese descent of both parents coming from Malaysia and Singapore , so we are not surprised at see all his comment his was always proud of the "Malaysia and Singapore's" country of origin of his parents ^ ^
Actually I used to not be so proud, but now I embrace it more, including all the different food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia