Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 09:12 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,228,858 times

Advertisements

Is Lebanan a place you'd avoid traveling right now (2013)?

It seems there are always problems and risks with Beirut. With the unrest in Syria, it seems like there is more than enough stress in the region.

Would most of you absolutely avoid Lebanon altogether, or do you think it's relatively safe enough, and worthy of a visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,107,174 times
I haven't checked the travel advice for Lebanon but it's not on my travel radar at all. I'm sure it has it's attractions, but if I'm going to go anywhere risky in the Middle East I think I'd go to Israel first. I'm very interested in Iran, though, which I'm told is actually fairly safe to travel to.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,228,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I haven't checked the travel advice for Lebanon but it's not on my travel radar at all. I'm sure it has it's attractions, but if I'm going to go anywhere risky in the Middle East I think I'd go to Israel first. I'm very interested in Iran, though, which I'm told is actually fairly safe to travel to.
I've considered KISH ISLAND in Iran...as it's visa-free region and a popular Middle Eastern holiday. I'm sure its safe from crime, but not so safe for political suspicions - if a person is an American. Being that you're Asian-Australian, you might not face the same problems/issues. In that case, Iran could be easier for you than an American passport holder.

Lebanan. Seems like they have beautiful beaches, gorgeous archirecture, and bilingual with French. It certainly seems like the most interesting country in the Middle East by far. Plus about half are Christian, and half Muslim. It seems quite unique in the Middle East.

That being said, it seems there are continual unrest/war problems with Lebanan. I'd love to make a visit, even if for just a few days.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:02 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,781,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is Lebanon a place you'd avoid traveling right now (2013)?

It seems there are always problems and risks with Beirut. With the unrest in Syria, it seems like there is more than enough stress in the region.

Would most of you absolutely avoid Lebanon altogether, or do you think it's relatively safe enough, and worthy of a visit?

If you have no family there, now is not the time to visit Lebanon.

Lebanon travel advice

If you want to travel to the Middle East then go to the UAE, Saudia Arabia, Turkey, Jordan or Israel. If you really want to go to Lebanon choose places near Beirut and stay away from the eastern half.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:42 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 17 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,930,399 times
The only conflict that is discouraging to news media:
When Lebanon and Israel had the temporary 2006 land crossing invasions.
Fortunately, quickly stabilized. Even calm starting from the year 2008 or 2015. Continuing into 2020+.
Recently, Lebanon had some economic protests that isn't ever coinciding with the Iran-Iraq things.
Syria is polar opposite from Lebanon. That is just when Syria started to decline.
I want to visit Lebanon eventually, and there aren't any issues. Tons of error free international touristic flow
without any interruption. A unique country in the Middle East. Jordan is quite identical to Lebanon in this version.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:22 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,916,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Is Lebanan a place you'd avoid traveling right now (2013)?

Never been, but from what I understand, talking to people that lived there and still visit, is that some places in Beirut are as modern, safe, and secular as New York City. I think that is the "christian" side of town. Other places, you don't want to venture into. There is a distinct dividing line. But again this is second hand info.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:14 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 17 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,930,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Never been, but from what I understand, talking to people that lived there and still visit, is that some places in Beirut are as modern, safe, and secular as New York City. I think that is the "christian" side of town. Other places, you don't want to venture into. There is a distinct dividing line. But again this is second hand info.
What is vibrant with Lebanon is actually arriving from Muslim Middle Eastern Culture. The cuisine, Bazaars That Are Equal To Chandeliers, the music, and language. There are significant amount of Christians, yet aren't the ones producing the native atmosphere for that one. Beirut is not comparable to NYC. Too foreign.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:31 AM

271 posts, read 309,452 times
We went to Beirut in November 2017 (long weekend trip from Kuwait) and found it relatively safe. It is very historical and they are also redeveloping the center of town. Beirut museum, Byblos (about one hour outside city - seaside port and oldest city in world, and grottos are all worth saying. You can order alcohol and it definitely has a European vibe (like Athens) unlike other places in the Middle East Like Emirates or Oman. The geography reminded me of Israel (although the 2 countries have no relations) mainly because of the Mediterranean.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:08 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,916,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
What is vibrant with Lebanon is actually arriving from Muslim Middle Eastern Culture. The cuisine, Bazaars That Are Equal To Chandeliers, the music, and language. There are significant amount of Christians, yet aren't the ones producing the native atmosphere for that one. Beirut is not comparable to NYC. Too foreign.
Maybe akin to old style Europe in the middle east. Didn't they have that label decades ago "the Paris of the Middle East"?

She dreams of nineteen sixty-nine
Before the soldiers came
The life was cheap on bread and wine
And sharing meant no shame
She is awakened by the screams
Of rockets flying from nearby
And scared she clings onto her dreams
To beat the fear that she might die
And who will have won
When the soldiers have gone?
From the Lebanon, the Lebanon

Old 02-09-2020, 06:17 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,505,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Maybe akin to old style Europe in the middle east. Didn't they have that label decades ago "the Paris of the Middle East"?

She dreams of nineteen sixty-nine
Before the soldiers came
The life was cheap on bread and wine
And sharing meant no shame
She is awakened by the screams
Of rockets flying from nearby
And scared she clings onto her dreams
To beat the fear that she might die
And who will have won
When the soldiers have gone?
From the Lebanon, the Lebanon
They did. But that mostly applied to the city prior to the 70's civil war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia