Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:07 AM

163 posts, read 249,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconut2012 View Post
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 05:51 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,586,818 times
Crowds, Tiny apartments, skyscrapers, steep hills, neon lights...

Old 04-05-2015, 11:20 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Crowded
Good food(I love Cantonese food)
Way too expensive
Oppressed
Shopping

Basically a terrible place to live in.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:11 PM

510 posts, read 609,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Crowded
Good food(I love Cantonese food)
Way too expensive
Oppressed
Shopping

Basically a terrible place to live in.
I think Hong Kong is a great place to live--great public transit, good food, very convenient, easy access to entertainment and hiking and other activities, great and efficient airport with easy connections to everywhere, very safe, high quality of services (Internet, phone, utilities, etc.)

However I think it is a terrible place to work for all but a few jobs in a few industries. Long hours & low pay in a very expensive city, and the government is totally uninterested in trying to move off or expand the current finance/real estate based economy :-(

Old 04-06-2015, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I think Hong Kong is a great place to live--great public transit, good food, very convenient, easy access to entertainment and hiking and other activities, great and efficient airport with easy connections to everywhere, very safe, high quality of services (Internet, phone, utilities, etc.)

However I think it is a terrible place to work for all but a few jobs in a few industries. Long hours & low pay in a very expensive city, and the government is totally uninterested in trying to move off or expand the current finance/real estate based economy :-(
I think a city where you can only rent an apartment 3 times smaller than what you can get in Taipei with thrice the price is called a terrible place to live in. Especially when you have kids.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:03 AM

647 posts, read 1,216,552 times
Quote:
I think a city where you can only rent an apartment 3 times smaller than what you can get in Taipei with thrice the price is called a terrible place to live in. Especially when you have kids.
Then you probably badmouth Manhattan too.

HK is way above Taipei in financial stature, job opportunities and international image.

I ran a financial public relations firm in another (smaller) Asian city, run and populated by majority ethnic Chinese (not HK). All the regional HQ bosses of banks Nomura, JP Morgan, Goldman, Barclays, UBS, State Street, Morgan Stanley, ML BoA are in HK. Not in Singapore and certainly for sure not in Taipei.

The job situation in Taipei sucks. When I lived in Singapore, many Taiwanese and South Koreans tried to look for opportunities there. The per capita income of Taipei (not talking about Taiwan, but Taipei) is way below HK's

Old 04-06-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Then you probably badmouth Manhattan too.

HK is way above Taipei in financial stature, job opportunities and international image.

I ran a financial public relations firm in another (smaller) Asian city, run and populated by majority ethnic Chinese (not HK). All the regional HQ bosses of banks Nomura, JP Morgan, Goldman, Barclays, UBS, State Street, Morgan Stanley, ML BoA are in HK. Not in Singapore and certainly for sure not in Taipei.

The job situation in Taipei sucks. When I lived in Singapore, many Taiwanese and South Koreans tried to look for opportunities there. The per capita income of Taipei (not talking about Taiwan, but Taipei) is way below HK's
I'm not gonna jump into a Taipei vs Hong Kong debate with you. I think Taipei is a much better place to live in compares to Hong Kong and many HKers think the same way. Job prospects suck big time here, indeed, but quality of life is just better. Way better.
And for the record, Taipei is probably twice cheaper than Hong Kong, the rent is probably 5 times cheaper, so sure, HKers earn more, but their purchasing power is tragic.

http://www.cna.com.tw/news/acn/201502230118-1.aspx
This media outlet is basically a China propagandist machine and it says that Taiwan is receiving more and more immigrants from Hong Kong. I'd personally choose New Zealand and Canada if I were from Hong Kong, though, lol.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I'm not gonna jump into a Taipei vs Hong Kong debate with you. I think Taipei is a much better place to live in compares to Hong Kong and many HKers think the same way. Job prospects suck big time here, indeed, but quality of life is just better. Way better.
And for the record, Taipei is probably twice cheaper than Hong Kong, the rent is probably 5 times cheaper, so sure, HKers earn more, but their purchasing power is tragic.

http://www.cna.com.tw/news/acn/201502230118-1.aspx
This media outlet is basically a China propagandist machine and it says that Taiwan is receiving more and more immigrants from Hong Kong. I'd personally choose New Zealand and Canada if I were from Hong Kong, though, lol.
Hong Kongers move to Taipei in the same way people move out of Manhattan to Buffalo. To "slow down".

HK has far more expats than Taipei and when I was there, all the expats loved it.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Hong Kongers move to Taipei in the same way people move out of Manhattan to Buffalo. To "slow down".

HK has far more expats than Taipei and when I was there, all the expats loved it.
Yeah yeah yeah, carry on, whatever.

Last edited by Greysholic; 04-06-2015 at 06:23 AM..

Old 04-06-2015, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Yeah yeah yeah, carry on, whatever.
Bitter much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia