Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 02:07 PM

8 posts, read 26,840 times

Advertisements

This area is to be ignored and underrated in Asia and the rest of the world. Especially when it comes to travel/tourism.

Central Asia which is the following: Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 02:33 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,607,012 times
it has to be a nice place in order to be underrated.

i personally don't like any of those countries.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:50 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,810,293 times
I used to live there, it is a garbage pit.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:42 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Definitely agree. Central Asia was where East and West met, the Silk Route, great Empires, amazing scenery (highest mountains outside Himalayas, Gobi, vast steppes, tundra). Kazakhstan is coming up, it seems, but they are still recovering from years of Soviet rule.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Definitely agree. Central Asia was where East and West met, the Silk Route, great Empires, amazing scenery (highest mountains outside Himalayas, Gobi, vast steppes, tundra). Kazakhstan is coming up, it seems, but they are still recovering from years of Soviet rule.
Recovering from Soviet rule? Soviet rule is what gave them their infrastructure and brought them into the 20th century, I would hardly call autocratic dictatorships and the suppression of rights and people a "recovery".

Venture further into Kyrgyzstan, where you have two revolts since 2005, you will see the crumbling infrastructure of what was once the beautiful city of Frunze, now Bishkek. Go on to other countries like Tajikistan and Uzbekistan and you will find appalling conditions; those societies had it best under Soviet rule.

Yes, beautiful scenery, I own a property there still and visit frequently, but the government and society has had a massive breakdown since Soviet times. I will say Kazakhstan came out the best, but has some of the worst corruption, cannot even drive five miles without some cop stopping to get some money out of you, it is a relief to get out of that country just due to that.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:54 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Can you recommend any particular resort and which town to stay in to really capture in all the natural beauty? I like to do eco adventures. I wouldnt mind hiking through some treacherous pass that the ancient merchants had to take, or some secret passage for escaping any invading army of nomads. Heck I hear they do Horse Wrestling in Kyrgyzstan. That is right "horse wrestling", they try and pull you off your horse.

Do they have nadaam festivals similar to Mongolia, in which, every just gathers in a pit and wrestles simultaneously. I would not mind testing my testicular fortitude in something like that. Better than running away from a bull in Spain because I would at least have a chance. I would love to go on a classic merchant caravan trek and live like a nomad for about a week or so.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:22 AM

^ Like how the Soviets basically destroyed the Aral sea, hunted the Caspian tiger to extinction, and built countless ugly grey flats? And what about the nuclear meltdowns?

Kazakhstan will rise again, and no help to it's Soviet past or the Russians either.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Can you recommend any particular resort and which town to stay in to really capture in all the natural beauty? I like to do eco adventures. I wouldnt mind hiking through some treacherous pass that the ancient merchants had to take, or some secret passage for escaping any invading army of nomads. Heck I hear they do Horse Wrestling in Kyrgyzstan. That is right "horse wrestling", they try and pull you off your horse.

Do they have nadaam festivals similar to Mongolia, in which, every just gathers in a pit and wrestles simultaneously. I would not mind testing my testicular fortitude in something like that. Better than running away from a bull in Spain because I would at least have a chance. I would love to go on a classic merchant caravan trek and live like a nomad for about a week or so.
Central Asia is a place for 'adventurer travellers' - it's not exactly the place the typical family or package holiday traveller visits. For scenery, Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan seems the best.

I think Western China is probably more accessible than Central Asia itself, but I'm sure it's doable with the right travel agency and guide. Let me know how it goes though if you ever make it over there!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
^ Like how the Soviets basically destroyed the Aral sea, hunted the Caspian tiger to extinction, and built countless ugly grey flats? And what about the nuclear meltdowns?

Kazakhstan will rise again, and no help to it's Soviet past or the Russians either.
Do not worry, many countries are guilty of environmental damage, I can list what the US has done in terms of environmental damage and animal extinctions, along with eradication of native populations.

Those ugly grey flats are basically fought over from people trying to get one, and they are much better made than recent ones built by SK and locally, that is why the value is higher. They still build those grey flats, so I guess they are satisfied with the style.

In the mean time, statistics like one out of every five Kyrgyzs live abroad just to escape Kyrgyzstan, or you have the massive amounts of Tajiks living in Russia, considered the Mexicans of Russia.

But this is not about living there (which I use to and still go back often as I own property), but about travel/tourism.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Central Asia is a place for 'adventurer travellers' - it's not exactly the place the typical family or package holiday traveller visits. For scenery, Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan seems the best.

I think Western China is probably more accessible than Central Asia itself, but I'm sure it's doable with the right travel agency and guide. Let me know how it goes though if you ever make it over there!
Central Asia is easily accessible, you will need a sponsor (a travel agency) for going to Uzbekistan, but just simple visas for Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan. Going to/from China can be difficult on the Chinese end depending on the situation, back during the Uyghur conflict, China restricted the border crossing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia