Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:51 PM

103 posts, read 260,278 times

Advertisements

So I was wondering what do you guys think the future of Pine Bluff will be? I know if people actually reply back into this topic there will be alot of negative, but what about some good things as well. I have notice that in Pine Bluff or Arkansas for that matter alot of people think that Pine Bluff is a city, but to many who attend UAPB that are out of state students(including myself) don't see it as that. One thing I can see is a better future for Pine Bluff (HOPEFULLY). I mean if pine bluff actually build a way better mall or a nice size outdoor strip mall/ outlet mall and more resturants it would be an ok place. I mean If you think about it you have people who travel to Pine Bluff from star city, dumas, monticello, and many other small town in southern arkansas. Most don't ;like to go all the way to little rock, because Pine Bluff already is a far enough drive for them. Another reason as shocking as it was to me is there are alot of people that think little rock is too big and they don't want to drive that far on top of driving in traffic with that many cars. I think If Pine Bluff was to build up toward wal mart where they have alot of space and where it looks like they are building up at, they might attract more people. Even if they build a mall in white hall or Watson Chapel people would still come. If pine bluff would build up out here they would help sooo many people and they would save all of us poor college students from having to drive to little rock to do things all the time on top of people already traveling to pine bluff from southern arkansas. So what do yall think?????? (oh and I know my phrasing is horrible, but Im am in a rush right now LOL.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:26 AM

602 posts, read 1,517,963 times
The only way Pine Bluff can get better is by attracting JOBS. The big employers now are Tyson, the railroad, and the paper mills. Of course, the hospital and neighboring prison systems employ many too.

Building a new mall or strip mall isn't going to do it. People have to have good paying jobs (and the desire to work!). It was not too long ago that The Pines Mall was brand new. To see it now, it's a shell of itself.

Main Street used to be packed with mom and pop stores. I hope that somehow PB can return to some of its former glory! It was a great place to grow up!

Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 PM

Yeah I see what you mean, but its still sad to see this town like this lol. I have heard stories about how pine bluff use to be and it seem like it was an ok place. I get the jobs thing you mentioned but bringing stuff here will offer jobs.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,363,991 times
The local news (in Little Rock) was just talking about a new study that had PB listed at #1 in the nation in violent crime. That place will never get people to go there until the cops can control their own residents. What's more, the jobs that they do have are mostly low-paying, NIMBY jobs.

The Pines probably had at least 60% of its stores closed when I was there less than a year ago. Why would any company want to put a retail store in PB? It isn't logical.

The only people who live there are the ones who can't get out or students who got suckered into going there. What a sad place.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:38 AM

Some may have got suckered in, but most are there because they love the school. Yeah people dont move yo pine bluff and yeah its bad in areas, but little rock isn't the safest place either and has never been it has shown progress, but its still bot the best place either. People who only came here once or twice crack me up. They say all this Stuff bout how you will get killed if you come. I have been in way worse place not saying pine bluff is wonderland but u people crack me up. If not ping one In pine bluff why not white hall or watson chapel. People come from southern Arkansas to come to pine bluff to shop. All Im saying Is if you have this college town do something with it. It doesn't have to be a 3 floor mall, but a shopping strip or something. I do feel sad for people who are stuck here, but people that come to the university like the school.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:50 PM

602 posts, read 1,517,963 times
I read this morning in the paper that First Lady, Michelle Obama, will be giving the commencement speech for UAPB. This is HUGE!

Old 04-18-2010, 02:33 PM

Wow. Good for UAPB. That is a good score.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:08 PM

837 posts, read 2,251,591 times
wow, fantastic! congratulations, UAPB!

Old 04-20-2010, 09:50 PM

59 posts, read 192,833 times
If another couple business move into Pine Bluff, or are STARTED in Pine Bluff and succeed, then the way things are it will cascade. The economics of a city is really all about inertia a lot of the time, and Pine Bluff doesn't necessarily have that inertia on its side. I don't know enough about the area though to know what if any businesses would have a good shot.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:09 PM

Apparently nursing isn't the future of Pine Bluff... Ouch.

UAPB: Entire nursing class not eligible for degrees - FOX16.com Little Rock, AR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas