Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 05:22 PM

92 posts, read 585,206 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I have been reading the newspapers in Arkansas for employment. And it seems lately that the Hot Springs Paper has sure had a large amount of jobs. Is the economy doing pretty well in the area?
We currently live in Southern Louisiana. Live in a small town which is what we prefer..
He is a truck driver in the oilfields and it is so slow, and getting slower.. his vacation is coming up this month and he is planning on coming into Arkansas to look since it is closest to us.
It has been a few years since we have lived in the state.

Any input would be helpful..
Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 05:34 PM

8,994 posts, read 14,820,704 times
I think retail is doing pretty well. My mom has spent about 3 weeks in Hot Springs because her company decided to expand there.
I can't speak on other businesses but if people there are shopping, it must be some indication of the economy.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:03 PM

Thank You for the reply... this helps out alot.. hubby will definitly be headed that way then in a couple of weeks to do job searches..

Old 08-05-2009, 06:45 PM

11,531 posts, read 30,369,292 times
HS is a tourist town. Send clean, sterile, empty bottles with him. The water that flows out of the mountain is as pure as can be and it is free for the taking - or at least it used to be. There is a beautiful horse track, mineral baths, and some beautiful old homes. And the city is quaint. It is pretty quiet and more normal after tourist season ends.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:39 PM

I will definitly send bottles with him, would love to have some good clean mountain water.

I may send the digital camera with him so he can take some pics, wish I could come with him but finances are limited and there will only be enough for one to make this trip.
am excited about the possibilities of moving back to Arkansas and getting out and exploring everything.
The last time we lived in the state we lived in the Van Buren area.
Thank you all for the tips. Much appreciated.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:15 PM

31 posts, read 131,016 times
I would really encourage you to make the trip to Hot Springs, if at all possible. The hotel room for two would probably not be extra and there are several very good reasonable eating establishments. Colton's Steak has a good lunch menu; Ryan's is reasonable; New China has very good food. None of these are high-end.
We usually take our bottles and fill up at the springs at the base of the Hot Springs Mountain Tower. These are cold water springs and are said to have a better quality water than that which comes in those green bottles from a far. The springs by the visitors center are hot water springs. And yes, both are still free.
Going north on Hwy 7 from I-30 is some really beautiful scenery. It would be difficult to stop and take pictures. Here you could help by taking the pictures as he drives. Of course, there are many other sights in Hot Springs as well. Pictures help, but the eyes give it the depth and real beauty.
Hot Springs seems to be growing by leaps and bounds. With the race track, they have opened a gaming facility and as we passed by today, the parking lot was full. Banks seem to be sprouting up like wild weeds. You would think that every corner has one, like the old days of the service stations. Restaurants are everywhere. Olive Garden, Chili's, Cracker Barrel etc. from all price ranges.
Today was the grand opening of the Sam's Warehouse Club store and it was an open house on membership. It is larger than any Sam's that I have ever been in. A real monster store that is part of a new shopping center still under construction by the hospital. It was wall to wall with people and they were buying and buying and buying.
Please reconsider making the trip.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:31 PM

Oh how I wish I could come with him, but the way it is looking our oldest son maybe making the trip with his Dad, he was also laid off from his job.. and his family is living with us. Am enjoying having my grandbabies here with us,
Hubby is planning on camping, The last time we were in Arkansas was 2 years ago on vacation, we went to Diamond Crater State Park.. when we lived in Arkansas before we never did get the chance to visit..
I need to go over to our banks website and see if there is a branch of our bank in Hot springs..
Sounds like the economy is going strong in the area.. and there are a few other areas hubby will check out as well.
Thank you Arkand for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas