Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:59 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times

Advertisements

Harrison is pretty much just like the rest of Arkansas outside of NWA or Little Rock. Still stuck in reconstruction days. If you are white and Baptist, you'll fit right in. But oh you better not be Catholic and you sure as heck better not be black.

You also may find it difficult to make friends in Arkansas where you didn't grow up. Most Arkansans are very cliquish as they make their friends in Kindergarten and keep pretty much the same friends for life. Thats at least how it is here in the Fort Smith area.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:44 PM

109 posts, read 292,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Harrison is pretty much just like the rest of Arkansas outside of NWA or Little Rock. Still stuck in reconstruction days. If you are white and Baptist, you'll fit right in. But oh you better not be Catholic and you sure as heck better not be black.

You also may find it difficult to make friends in Arkansas where you didn't grow up. Most Arkansans are very cliquish as they make their friends in Kindergarten and keep pretty much the same friends for life. Thats at least how it is here in the Fort Smith area.
Since the OP posted some time ago and has long since found an answer for their question, your overgeneralizing isn't really needed at this juncture.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 PM

109 posts, read 292,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post

Arkansas is the only redneck state
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Sorry kiddo. There are rednecks in EVERY state. Thanks for playing.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:31 AM

156 posts, read 350,914 times
No way will hippie or progressive types be looked at favorably in Harrison. I also looked at moving there. I got so many lectures about how we need to put the bible back in school, kill all the ****, cut off the hands of people who steal ect. There is a huge white nation property just 5 miles outside of Harrison and a big KKK group that meets there. Move more north toward Branson and it is a bit better. Look at Eureka Springs, a true Hippie enclave. Leave Harrison to the neocons Christian fanatics.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:06 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upandrunning View Post
No way will hippie or progressive types be looked at favorably in Harrison. I also looked at moving there. I got so many lectures about how we need to put the bible back in school, kill all the ****, cut off the hands of people who steal ect. There is a huge white nation property just 5 miles outside of Harrison and a big KKK group that meets there. Move more north toward Branson and it is a bit better. Look at Eureka Springs, a true Hippie enclave. Leave Harrison to the neocons Christian fanatics.
Funny how when I grew up in this area I never really heard this sort of thing. The kkk is on it's last legs everywhere, thankfully. Just because a group owns some property in the area does not mean the area embraces them.

Branson and Springfield are no better at least according to my sister who lives up that way. She had a friend assaulted on the side of the road in Springfield for having an Obama sticker on his car.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:58 AM

570 posts, read 1,582,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
Harrison has a KKK chapter so stay out if you aint white.

Arkansas is the only redneck state
YES, And we want too keep it that way.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Lets be real here.
The reasons that you don't want too move too Harrison or maybe Arkansas is the same reasons that others do. If you can't fit into the Harrison/ Arkansas lifestyle then this is not the place for you.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Funny how when I grew up in this area I never really heard this sort of thing. The kkk is on it's last legs everywhere, thankfully. Just because a group owns some property in the area does not mean the area embraces them.

Branson and Springfield are no better at least according to my sister who lives up that way. She had a friend assaulted on the side of the road in Springfield for having an Obama sticker on his car.
It is never a good idea too have campaign stickers of a car. It was on the news that someone with a McCain sticker was assaulted in Los Angeles. so it does go both ways.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:42 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
There is a huge white nation property just 5 miles outside of Harrison and a big KKK group that meets there.
You should read some of the things written about that *huge* property before affirming it.

According to people who have gone out there and posted it, the whole thing would fit on a 1/4 acres, and appears to be abandoned.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
You should read some of the things written about that *huge* property before affirming it.

According to people who have gone out there and posted it, the whole thing would fit on a 1/4 acres, and appears to be abandoned.
It's more like 10 acres and anything but abandoned. You must be thinking about something els.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas