Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 11:53 AM

9 posts, read 23,697 times

Advertisements

I am looking at moving to Arkansas from Colorado. I have a few horses, and currently am the administative assistant at an assisted living. My boyfriend works as the foreman for cleary building comapnys. We like the simple life, and beautiful scenery. Nature, hiking, camping, fishing and all the good stuff. We will probully be moving sometime this summer, but i dont know what part of Arkansas to live in!!!! I want to buy a house, right now I rent. Ideally I would like to move to a new area where we would rent for 3 months, and then buy a house. We will go down to the new town about 1 month before our planned move t secure our jobs and housing situations. Does any one have any suggestions of where in Arkansas would be nice to live? I want to be no more then 30 minutes from the city. I would like to rent where i can keep my horses some where, preferablly on the same land as i am. Please let me know if anyone has any ideas for me about any of this!!! Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 12:45 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,212,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaultingcowgirl View Post
I want to be no more then 30 minutes from the city.
What city would that be?

If you are talking about just a generic town where you can get gas, grocerys, eat, socialize, you could just about throw a dart at the map.

The problem you'll encounter is finding a place to rent with land that is fenced/cross fenced for horses.

Most anything that you find in the country will be a house, on land, and the land is either utilized by the owner or leased out for cattle or hay production.

There are a variety of grasses that are raised here, primarily bermuda and fescue, so your going to have to supplement those horses diets.

The good news is, horses here are even cheaper than cattle, which means a lot are *free*.

I get asked about once a month if I want a horse, and they'll deliver.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:19 PM

Well, the horse market there is good and bad for me. I train horses, and with the industry bein as bad as it is, I pretty much had to cut back on that, and do more office work.

I am looking at the outskirts Conway, because there is a Morton Buildings that my boyfriend could work for, and i can work either at the city or just another assisted living, like i am now.

I just dont want to end up in a huge city that i dont like. I want to be close to trees, rivers, lakes. But within 30 minutes of town. I know there are alot of pretty places in Arkansas, we just dont have any huge reason to move to one part over another.

We are a young couple, and right now we live in one of the biggest retirement communitys around here. So there is not much for a young couple to do. He is sick of the winters out here, and also wants to be closer to more outdoors things. And i just miss all the green trees and grass (I am origionally from MI).

Old 01-01-2009, 04:48 PM

731 posts, read 1,368,766 times
Take a look at the Fayetteville, Bentonville, Rogers, & Bella Vista area in NW Arkansas.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:36 PM

Default What is the weather like in arkansas?

I have lived in Michgan, and I am used to the humidity, but got very sick of all the snow and cold. I now live in Colorado. It's not half as bad here, but we still get sick of all the snow and cold.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:32 PM

99 posts, read 350,617 times
As for all the nature/outdoor activities you are looking for, the Hot Springs area has it all. There is land available for horses, as they are quite popular for many around here. You can find some great rural areas around here and still be only 45 minutes max. from Little Rock. I know that the Hot Springs area, especially Hot Springs Village, is known as a retirement area. HOWEVER, we are a young couple and there is plenty for us to do. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good Luck.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:56 AM

465 posts, read 1,418,263 times
Well if you are looking for the simple life I would say the Fort Smith area would be a better choice than NWA. There is also a lot of assisted living places in Fort Smith.

Greenwood or Van Buren would both be good choices.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaultingcowgirl View Post
Well, the horse market there is good and bad for me. I train horses, and with the industry bein as bad as it is, I pretty much had to cut back on that, and do more office work.

I am looking at the outskirts Conway, because there is a Morton Buildings that my boyfriend could work for, and i can work either at the city or just another assisted living, like i am now.

I just dont want to end up in a huge city that i dont like. I want to be close to trees, rivers, lakes. But within 30 minutes of town. I know there are alot of pretty places in Arkansas, we just dont have any huge reason to move to one part over another.

We are a young couple, and right now we live in one of the biggest retirement communitys around here. So there is not much for a young couple to do. He is sick of the winters out here, and also wants to be closer to more outdoors things. And i just miss all the green trees and grass (I am origionally from MI).
If you are looking for a younger group of people I would suggest you consentrate on the Fayetteville area. Of course the college is there, thus lots of young college kids. If you want to be even a little further out, maybe Lowell, or yes, Rogers. BV is absolutely beautiful but there are not many truely young couples here and not many places to party or meet those in their 20s. NWA is beautiful, you will not be disappointed.

Fort Smith would be nice but maybe a little bigger than you would like plus I don't think it is as pretty as the NW section of the state, the true NW area that is. Actually Fayetteville is probably bigger than you would like as well. You should probably consider some of the areas close to Fayetteville.

Nita

Old 01-03-2009, 10:18 AM

465 posts, read 1,418,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If you are looking for a younger group of people I would suggest you consentrate on the Fayetteville area. Of course the college is there, thus lots of young college kids. If you want to be even a little further out, maybe Lowell, or yes, Rogers. BV is absolutely beautiful but there are not many truely young couples here and not many places to party or meet those in their 20s. NWA is beautiful, you will not be disappointed.

Fort Smith would be nice but maybe a little bigger than you would like plus I don't think it is as pretty as the NW section of the state, the true NW area that is. Actually Fayetteville is probably bigger than you would like as well. You should probably consider some of the areas close to Fayetteville.

Nita
Fort Smith is Tiny. It's only big in relation to the areas around it. It is only a matter of time before either Fayettville or Springdale overtake Fort Smith population wise.

Vaultingcowgirl If you are looking for a real southern town (as your name would suggest) I would go with Fort Smith. If you want the scenery but not the culture go with NWA, really just a personal choice.

Personally I prefer OKC over either area.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bail_Khan View Post
Fort Smith is Tiny. It's only big in relation to the areas around it. It is only a matter of time before either Fayettville or Springdale overtake Fort Smith population wise.

Vaultingcowgirl If you are looking for a real southern town (as your name would suggest) I would go with Fort Smith. If you want the scenery but not the culture go with NWA, really just a personal choice.

Personally I prefer OKC over either area.
golly I don't think of it as being tiny, but we all have our ideas. As for OKC, from what she seems to want I really can't imagine OKC appealing to anyone looking for beauty and the wonders of nature. Right now it is growing fast, isn't exactly filled with the beauty we have here and really is just another BIG City..

Yes, I think you are right about the growth in NWA, especially Springdale, I am not sure about Fayetteville. I think I was thinking more in the area of checking outside these cities.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas