Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 06:11 PM

383 posts, read 400,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
My experience is the same as yours. Btw: You need to come visit Jasper, Ponca, and Boxley valley next time. In my opinion, it's the most beautiful area of the state, but I'm also possibly biased because I get to see it everyday.
It's on my list as I want to fish the Buffalo where I can walk it. Been eyeing up the area between Erbie and Ponca. Probably next Spring at this point. Will make a point of passing thru Jasper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 08:07 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,406,335 times
Quote:
My experience is the same as yours. Btw: You need to come visit Jasper, Ponca, and Boxley valley next time. In my opinion, it's the most beautiful area of the state, but I'm also possibly biased because I get to see it everyday.
You know, there are two places in Arkansas that I discovered when I was 17-18 and have returned to on a regular basis ever since. One is hot springs and the other is the buffalo river. In the early years, it was the lower buffalo river area. For the last several decades, it has been jasper and the boxley valley area. ( going in a few weeks)

Now on a more relevant note, hot springs is where I bought lake property. I am not into art, but the downtown area is littered with artsy stores and they have a monthly gallery walk. We have done that several times and usually bought something. The town has so much to offer, it would check several of your listed boxes.

Back to the jasper area for a minute, it has changed very little in decades. ( and that is a great thing!). The river and the area is still pristine, especially considering the amount of visitors it has each year.

I go to hot springs to be entertained for the most part. I go to the buffalo to recharge.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorearkansas View Post
I'm a conservative. When we visited Eureka Springs I noticed it leaned liberal in subtle ways. We don't care. We went for a good time and found it. The other areas we visited were as Nmnita mentions. Unchurched to whatever. We found all the folks we did business with as very pleasant. No political discussions, no signs, no weirdness. We visited Mountain Home, Bull Shoals, Yellville, Flippin, Cotter, Petit Jean, Toad Suck and a few others I can't recall off the top of my head. Even when we were off the main roads in redneck territory, I never felt threatened. Matter of fact, it kinda felt like home. Everywhere we went we ran into what I call "regular folk". Been back 4 times now. We usually return to the same places as the residents/business owners treat us so kindly.
Smiling when I think of the names of places you have visited: Toad Suck for starters. I remember the first few years we lived here, every time we traveled we took some back roads and went though some really small towns with unusual names to say the least. It makes me smile and what better way to start the day than with a smile?

Old 03-21-2019, 11:33 AM

697 posts, read 1,776,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Oh my goodness, you certainly have a slanted view of AR or at least NWA> Yes, the region leans right but it is a very ethnic and diverse region. We know people of all walks of life and all political as well a relegious views living here. We know a few who have no religion at all, some are holier than thou or would like to think they are and the rest are middle of the road. The most important thing is don't flaunt your views period, no one likes someone who goes around flaunting their view, especially if they are inclined to be a bit over the top.

Now when you talk about Mountain Home, they are anything but liberal or progressive as you say.

You overall view of life in Ar is as you see it and somewhat accurate but certainly slanted toward the thinking of a true liberal. And tornados are not common at all in NWA, winter or summer. Yes, we do have them, but rarely are they more than just a scary spring storm. We have lived here for 11 years, only had one that did any serious damage and that was the fall out from the Joplin tornado many years ago.
I'm going to disagree with this a bit. Mountain Home itself is pretty conservative/religious not because of location, but rather the demographic that has migrated there. Keep in mind that roughly 60-70% of the residents of Mtn. Home moved there from other places (the biggest contributors being California and Chicago) to retire and are elderly, which is a demographic that leans a lot farther right than most. That said, it's not fair to blanket it as similar to other places where "liberal or progressive" views are attacked. These people are often from very liberal places originally (and may not vote that way), but I've never had any issues, nor have my more liberal friends, about voicing my opinions or views.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:51 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
I don't think you're biased. Boxley Valley is just one of the loveliest places I've ever seen. Particularly in the spring.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:58 PM

25 posts, read 29,184 times
Default Looking for retirement town for artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
From an amenities standpoint Bella Vista is probably a good fit, but Bentonville and Fayetteville may also interest you due to the arts/culture atmosphere in those cities. Eureka Springs is a very artistic community but it is much smaller depending on the size of the area you are looking for. Mountain Home is a beautiful retirement area with a lot of waterfront properties but it is not quite as artistically focused (there is a small arts scene there, it's just a smaller city) as the others.

Last time i was in Eureka Springs, it had all but dried up. ( about 2 years ago )
All I saw was bikers and Mexicans. The hospital was pretty bad. Most everything was shut down too. Even in the middle of the week. The only business I saw open was the resale shops. Sad.

My advice is don't go there. It isn't worth it. It isn't like it used to be at all.
I am a artist, but here in Arkansas, it is pretty hard for a artist. Most people don't have the money to spend or do not want to. But i did see a lot of dried corn on the cob tooth brushes, and other ( what we call pukey duck art ) corn on the cob art.
Little Rock is a little bit different.

In this state a artist can starve to death.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:08 PM

383 posts, read 400,602 times
I was in ES two years ago and on Black Friday a year and a half ago. Both times the down town was busy and almost all the shops were open. I saw very few shops that were empty. If business is bad, you will see lots of empty shops. I will certainly go back to visit again. Black Friday was a gas. I took the whole family. Not sure I would plan to visit in late July thru August as everything is made out of rock. I'll bet it gets a bit warm in town during the dog days.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:26 PM

52 posts, read 68,943 times
Thank you, good information to continue my research!

Old 05-12-2019, 05:32 PM

Default Thank you!

Thank you for taking the time to post your opinions and experience. I haven't checked back on my post in awhile after there weren't any responses after the original post. I am so itchy to go exploring in your region and have to wait until the Fall.

My appreciation to everyone for their thoughtful insights. BTW I am a conservative and most of my frients are liberal but our personal beliefs are irrelevant to our friendships. IOW - we CAN all get along as long as we maintain perspective and good cheer!

~S

Old 05-12-2019, 05:34 PM

I'm sorry to hear that their is little support of artists in the area although it's not a surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas