Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 02:37 PM

16 posts, read 58,052 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am looking at some land near Ravenden, Arkansas. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the area. We have 3 kids, are very active in church and 4-H. My husband is a school teacher, but is possibly interested in doing something different. I LOVED Arkansas as a kid visiting relatives. We have also spent quite a bit of time in Missouri. My hubby went to Evangel College for a time.

I just wanted to kind of get a feel for the place and the people.

Thank you so much!
Kris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 12:38 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,819 times
Ravendon itself is very small, the highway that runs through it is busy, as it is a route to Jonesboro.

Ethnically & culturally non-diverse.

Farming is the main occupation in the near area, though I'm sure there are people commuting to Jonesboro, as a few do near me, which is even farther from Jonesboro.

There's a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant there, mom & pop operation, that's got the best burgers around.

It sounds like you may be getting ready to jump on the "rural" wagon, which is the same as my area, it's just not for everyone.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:55 AM

4 posts, read 19,807 times
Agree with Rogmar...Ravenden is VERY rural. Getting medical assist, going to Wal-Mart or doing any real shopping will take time and gas. Employment opportunities are limited and getting more so. When I was young, my dad 'dragged' us to rural Arkansas (even more rural than Ravenden, which is at least on a much travelled highway) and I never really forgave him for it. I eventually learned to appreciate the positives, but it was major culture shock and our options (my brothers and I) were really limited. I often wonder what our lives would have been like if we had grown up in an area with more opportunites for employment, learning and entertainment...

Old 04-18-2008, 07:18 AM

292 posts, read 1,308,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnthumber View Post
Agree with Rogmar...Ravenden is VERY rural. Getting medical assist, going to Wal-Mart or doing any real shopping will take time and gas. Employment opportunities are limited and getting more so. When I was young, my dad 'dragged' us to rural Arkansas (even more rural than Ravenden, which is at least on a much travelled highway) and I never really forgave him for it. I eventually learned to appreciate the positives, but it was major culture shock and our options (my brothers and I) were really limited. I often wonder what our lives would have been like if we had grown up in an area with more opportunites for employment, learning and entertainment...
Here is my reply to someone in another thread about a small town they were thinking of moving to:

I'm glad to see someone actually wanting to live in a small town! Small town life is the life for me! I get so tired of people coming on here, asking about small towns, and being pounced upon by people saying, "There's nothing to do except church or barbecues or school sports games", etc. Hey, some of us LIKE church socials and barbecues. We don't care about shopping, bar-hopping, gambling, etc.

People who live in small towns are not necessarily ignorant rednecks or hillbillies who just don't know any better. I've lived in cities....Dallas, for one....and I wouldn't live in a city again if you paid me to. My favorite things to do are growing things, being in the outdoors, and being with people I love (yes, sometimes at (gasp!) church socials!). Who needs shopping?

Remember, some of us have actually chosen small-town life because our priorities are different. So leave some space (and some small towns!) in this world for people like us, and stop trying to make every town in the country a metro area.

If you'd grown up in another area, you might not have the character you do today (hopefully)....you might just be another shallow, materialistic "yuppie" with no other goal in life but to make another dollar so you could spend it on some "entertainment".

Old 04-18-2008, 08:34 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Luvarkansas...I so agree with what you said!
I live in the boonies...and would never trade it for city life.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:57 PM

5 posts, read 19,582 times
I live in Williford, about 7 miles from Ravenden. Pocahontas would be the nearest Hospital (~25 miles, depending on route). There is a convenience store/gas station in Ravenden (currently cheapest gas in the area), and a Dollar General, Feed Store, Lumber Company, Flea Market, 3 decent cafes, and small Grocery in Imboden (5 miles down the highway). The nearest Wal-Mart is a Supercenter in Pocahontas. Job situation is improving - a rubber boot manufacturer from Newport is opening a plant in Pocahontas (and they are taking applications now - wages start at $8.00/hour, which is actually pretty good for here). Ravenden is right on the Lawrence & Sharp county lines, and both counties are dry, but Myrtle, MO isn't too far away if you want alcohol.

I don't remember what Ravenden's population is currently listed as, I think it's about 250, but I expect it to grow if Twin Rivers actually gets to build their new school campus on the 40 acres they bought at the edge of Ravenden. The millage increase didn't pass, but Gilliland is a pretty smart cookie and he'll figure out how to get the building project funded.

It's about an hours drive from Ravenden to Jonesboro, the nearest town of much size. Jonesboro has one big mall and one nearly empty mall that is being rebuilt with the hope of attracting more retailers. Use these links for more information: Jonesboro Sun KAIT - Jonesboro, AR: Home The Times Dispatch - News Welcome to the Villager Journal Online

There is no cable available in Ravenden, but you can get ABC on Channel 8 out of Jonesboro. Dishnetwork and DirecTv are both available.

Property tax is CHEAP (I have an 864 sf 3/1 frame home on 4 lots w/ a 730 sf garage and my taxes are less than $200/yr), but fire & hazard insurance will be high because the fire department is volunteer. (I pay $850/yr for my place, but it's insured for full replacement. Loan value would only be about $525/yr.)

My house is all electric w/ central heat/air. Electric (through Entergy) runs about $110 - $175/mo, water runs about $20/month (family of 3). Centurytel is the ONLY land-line phone carrier and the ONLY DSL provider, and the lack of competition means they are not cheap. I pay $72/month for local + unlimited long distance; I was paying about $90/mo when I also had DSL service. Dial up internet is available from www.pokynet.com for less money, but it's pretty slow because so many sites are adding all kinds of phancy doo-dads.

If you get a cell phone you have a choice of AllTel or AT&T. AT&T does not get any reception in Ravenden, I don't know whether AllTel does (but AllTel phones get signal in Williford where AT&T doesn't).

Old 08-31-2008, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 12,716 times
I am from Imboden about 5 miles from Ravenden. One of the best things about Ravenden is that the residents really stick together and take care of one another. If you need help there is usually someone there.

There IS cable in Ravenden from Independence County Cable.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:34 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,209,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio72 View Post
I am from Imboden about 5 miles from Ravenden. One of the best things about Ravenden is that the residents really stick together and take care of one another. If you need help there is usually someone there.
That's country....and that's great.

That's why I don't gripe a bit when neighbors pull in at the "wrong" time.

Man....if you got the time to drive over.....I sure nuff got the time to pour you a drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas