Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 05:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,909,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USERXXXX View Post
Van Buren is obviously the best part of the FS area. According to your file, you live in Houston. I do not believe kids will like small town like FS.
that is something none of us know. Only the OP knows what his children will like. FT Smith has the same activities other cities have for kids. They have youth sports, family activities, movie theaters, decent schools, etc. Why are you thinking the kids will not like a small town? I know from your past posts you are not a lover of the area, that doesn't mean it doesn't work for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 10:26 AM

188 posts, read 255,162 times
Kids are grown and living in the small safe town of Houston- where nothing bad ever happens. I can have areas of interest, but it finally comes down to where there are houses for rent. Not planning to buy, since we will move again in a year or two anyway.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:50 AM

139 posts, read 137,334 times
Honestly I think Greenwood might be a little nicer than VB overall. VB has some nice neighborhoods but in the downtown area you have chicken plants and the cook plant stinks, as well as homeless camps and homeless people walking over the Midland bridge to buy alcohol. VB and Greenwood are both dry.
I've seen some run down looking neighborhoods off of industrial park road in VB too. There are some really nice looking houses and some new apartments on Chaffee Crossing although I haven't been out that way in about a year. About the only thing I go to Fort Smith for anymore is laser hair removal.

Old 11-07-2016, 10:55 AM

188 posts, read 255,162 times
Greenwood is a pretty good drive (especially in the morning traffic) into FS, isn't it? My darling will be working point mark downtown FS. I am not sure where I will be, since I have to look for schools and get hired.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
Greenwood is a pretty good drive (especially in the morning traffic) into FS, isn't it? My darling will be working point mark downtown FS. I am not sure where I will be, since I have to look for schools and get hired.
Its probably about 10 minutes from Fort Smith maybe another 10-15 to get downtown I would guesstimate. Depending on where you where in VB I would guesstimate 10-20 minutes to get to downtown FS. Traffic can get pretty bad in parts of VB during the morning rush though, I did my phlebotomy clinicals off of Fayetteville rd. in Van Buren and the traffic was a hassle.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes59 View Post
stick with Van Buren or give FS a try. I don't think you will be sorry. BTW anyone who comes here and says how horrible FS is: calling the town every name they can get away with has a personal gruge and not a realistic opinion of the city. Would I live there? Probably not, certainly I would not make it my permanent home but for someone thinking of a short few years I would have no problems. In fact the only reason I said it wouldn't be for me, on a permanent basis is: it is a little to bible thumping for me and we are regular church goers.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:36 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,624,770 times
^ Did you ever live there, or are you a transplant from another location who chose NW Arkansas for retirement? I think I remember that is the latter.

If you had experienced actually living and working in Fort Smith for several years you would stop posting positive reviews of that city.

OP, Fort Smith is disgusting and your lives there will be miserable.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:23 PM

One time I got bit by a dog there and it really hurt.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
^ Did you ever live there, or are you a transplant from another location who chose NW Arkansas for retirement? I think I remember that is the latter.

If you had experienced actually living and working in Fort Smith for several years you would stop posting positive reviews of that city.

We did choose NWA for retirement based on our recommendation from our granddaughter who is a grad from U of A. Since then she has married, has 2 kids and lives in NWA. Her parents now live here and her older sister, husband and 3 kids also live here. She has a 2 sorority sisters that live in Fort Smith and she went there for dental hygene school. So, no I do not live there, have only visited which I have mentioned several times, but do know people who are residence including a couple from our church who chose to relocate from Bella Vista to Ft Smith to be near their kids.

I am not saying it is the perfect region of the state or country. I have mentioned I have a reason why it would not be for me, but anyone who blasts anyplace like you have done many times has an agenda. If it isn't balanced no one can take it seriously. WE did not enjoy living in Eureka, CA and were glad when we could leave, but I would never say in was a disgusting place to live. There were positive eliments about or live there. This is the same with NM> It wasn't for us, it has a lot of problems, starting with poverty and crime, but it has lots of pluses and is fine for some people.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:09 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,462,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
There are 300,000 people living in the Ft. Smith metro area, and there are that many because it has grown, not declined. It's a mid sized city with a fair share of big city amenities. I highly doubt this could have been achieved and maintained if the place is as you describe. You're throwing a soiled blanket over an entire region based on one person's (yours) negative experience, and that isn't fair to someone else who may eventually be able to settle and prosper there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas