Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 11:47 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,095 times

Advertisements

I am going to guess its somewhere around Mena, Waldron, Ola, or Booneville. Somewhere in that general area. There are some very remote mountain areas there, and National Forest lands dominate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 05:55 PM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. DarcyJones View Post
Brits???
Hell yeah, hoss.

As long as you don't show up and start telling us how backward we are and "how we did it back home", everything is cool.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:09 AM

124 posts, read 219,236 times
Default Most Rural Area of Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother mammal View Post
Thanks for that map, it confirmed something I thought would be the case, that a ways south of Harrison is a very sparsely populated area (dark green), encompassing southern Newton County and parts of Searcy and Pope counties. Might be a good area for the OP to look into. I think it has a name but I can't think of it.
It does have a name - Ozark National Forest.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:34 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,316,484 times
I've visited Newtown County in Jasper & things like "Lost Valley" in Ponca and the Ponca access bridge. It is a very pretty area. We've even pondered living there, but I don't know if I could tolerate the more hard-core winters there vs eastern TX where I currently am at. (Then again that could mean less hard-core summers, which themselves as of late are a drag.) Also, with seclusion comes more difficulty getting a job, and we're nowhere near retirement age yet. I also in recent years have found myself prone to becoming very irritated when dealing with bumpy roads, and many of the attractions we found require driving quite a distance on such roads, even more than what I've seen in other rural areas. But hey, nothing's perfect.

I will address the "how we did it back home" aspect a bit. I will preface this by saying that I grew up in eastern NC, which is a southern place somewhat, and spent 10 years in Tucson AZ before now living in eastern TX. I do think that sometimes southerners and rednecks etc, and I am one, having spent my 1st 27 years of life in eastern NC, can get a little defensive and touchy sometimes about thinking that someone sharing their experiences is insulting them when they're not. Even during my 27 years (0-27) living in eastern NC, I've always had a curiosity and open mind somewhat about how people do other things in other places, and that doesn't have to mean that we're putting down certain people as being ignorant or forgetting what our core values are.

Sometimes people talk about how things were done in other places, and this is the case with me for sure, simply because they're relating their life experiences (a) just to converse and talk in general and (b) for the purpose of exchanging ideas with others, and in doing so the "others" and the one talking both can often-times learn some new ideas and ways of doing things they would've never thought of otherwise. It is not at all always the case that someone speaking of how they did things where they're originally from etc is "talking down" to someone else, they're just talking and sharing ideas and nothing more. Besides, sometimes there IS a better way of doing things vs how they're currently being done, and it's a GOOD thing to be open-minded somewhat about certain things while still retaining your core value system.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:40 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,744,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Hello, long time lurker on the arkansas forum. My family travels around a loy although we have never been to arkansas. We live in the middle of nowhere in the Arizona High Desert. Completely off grid (solar) 36 miles down a washed out at times dirt road. An hour and a half to a town of anysize. I say this because we love rural areas and the benefits that come with them. So to my question..... what is the most rural woodsy out of the way place in arkansas. From my understanding it is possibly in North Central Arkansas. We want a lot of acreage on the cheap ( with all the problems that may come with it ) and also be within 45 mins- an hour of small hospital. Where is the wildest, most undeveloped hilly ozark type of place in Arkansas?

........" a lot of acreage on the cheap "...

I realize everything is relevant, but I always find that phrase to be an oxymoron ( in Arkansas and in most of the US )

Old 05-07-2014, 09:58 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times
This may be the most rural wooded area of Arkansas. Most of the counties along the Mississippi River have lost population since the 1940s.

http://goo.gl/maps/Jnazz

Old 05-07-2014, 12:31 PM

2,054 posts, read 2,567,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
This may be the most rural wooded area of Arkansas. Most of the counties along the Mississippi River have lost population since the 1940s.

http://goo.gl/maps/Jnazz
I could be wrong, but I think some of the film "Mud" was filmed in this area? I wasn't on set much, really only one day.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:32 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,400,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I could be wrong, but I think some of the film "Mud" was filmed in this area? I wasn't on set much, really only one day.

you are correct!

Old 05-14-2014, 07:21 AM

603 posts, read 931,075 times
OP, I would suggest you check out Newton County. I think it has everything you are looking for. I think the whole county would fit into the 45 min to 1 hr time frame to Harrison where there is a hospital. The county is definitely rural, with some of the most beautiful scenery in the whole state. It is inexpensive as well.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:45 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
My mother grew up at the base of Petit Jean Mountain. Not the side where Casa is located. We traveled there a lot when I was growing up, going through Centerville, Cotton Town and crossing the Pontoon Bridge, which was very scary to me. I would get in the backseat floor as if I would be protected. I thought the area was the boonie of the boonies, but it was fun to play on the side of the mountain. There was an empty home way up on the side of the mountain, said to have belonged to a physician who died from TB. There was a steep place covered in pine needles and we would sit on pieces of cardboard and slide. Practice helped.

The old bridge was replaced soon after Winthrop Rockefeller came to Arkansas. I've not been there in years, so have no idea what changes have occurred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas