Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 12:51 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times

Advertisements

We have vacationed twice in Arkansas.
Once during the Christmas holidays in the Ozarks.
Once on a Dude Ranch in El Dorado during Thanksgiving.
We are driving to Pine Bluff in a few days. ( see my other post)

I have to say your state is absolutely beautiful. Your people are the most friendliest, unpretentious,
Helpful, folks ever.

I am a city girl with a different look and knew I'd probably catch some hell when we visited.
Picture the movie My Cousin Vinny.
The dude ranch boss lady saw me coming with my big hooped earrings and all....and was sweet as hell
To me and our family.

I know my husband will be wishful thinking and talking about " wouldn't you just love to live here in this beautiful natural colorful state" while we are driving up there....

jUst wanted to say THANK YOU for making us feel welcomed .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 04:08 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
I think you should listen to your very wise husband! It's a great place to be - if you can't be from here, at least visit often!

Thanks for your kind words for the people of Arkansas - this is what we try so hard to get across...for folks who have never been here, it ain't whatever it is you have imagined in your head if your connotations are negative.

Hoping the rescue dog is all you dream of - and keep us posted in the Pets forum, okay?

Old 07-10-2013, 05:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post

I have to say your state is absolutely beautiful. Your people are the most friendliest, unpretentious,
Helpful, folks ever.

I am a city girl with a different look and knew I'd probably catch some hell when we visited.
The dude ranch boss lady saw me coming with my big hooped earrings and all....and was sweet as hell
To me and our family.

I know my husband will be wishful thinking and talking about " wouldn't you just love to live here in this beautiful natural colorful state" while we are driving up there....

We have lived in 5 states since we were married (many years ago) and we wouldn't think of living in any of them again except here in AR. Every state has it's own beauty and every state has pros and cons, but AR is just special. WE have the both of both worlds or should we say the best of everything, from natural beauty, rural living, nice, down to earth people and yes, most everything is near enough to a major city that people can have city conveniences The Delta is the area that is sad..

We welcome visitors and new residence as long as they don't try and make us like the place they left. We are what we are!!!

Old 07-10-2013, 05:25 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,417,337 times
Two of the main reasons that my wife and I moved to Arkansas were the friendliness of the people and the beauty of the state. The fact that the CMA was having it's fall rally at the time didn't hurt either.

Christian Motorcyclists Association | CMA USA

Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,404,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We have lived in 5 states since we were married (many years ago) and we wouldn't think of living in any of them again except here in AR. Every state has it's own beauty and every state has pros and cons, but AR is just special. WE have the both of both worlds or should we say the best of everything, from natural beauty, rural living, nice, down to earth people and yes, most everything is near enough to a major city that people can have city conveniences The Delta is the area that is sad..

We welcome visitors and new residence as long as they don't try and make us like the place they left. We are what we are!!!
well, i guess i am a little shocked by the unprovoked slam on the delta area. have you visited or lived in the delta? just exactly what is so sad about this area?

have you driven through the delta lately? the crops are beautiful and these farmers feed and clothe you.

i have lived in northwest arkansas and southeast arkansas, they are both good places to live. i currently have 3 homes in different areas of arkansas and none of them are sad areas to visit or live.

sorry for the rant, just didn't take the criticism well, especially if it is unfounded.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post

Helpful, folks ever.

To me and our family.

Thank you Gilah. It's nice to hear positive things about Arkansas.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
well, i guess i am a little shocked by the unprovoked slam on the delta area. have you visited or lived in the delta? just exactly what is so sad about this area?

have you driven through the delta lately? the crops are beautiful and these farmers feed and clothe you.

i have lived in northwest arkansas and southeast arkansas, they are both good places to live. i currently have 3 homes in different areas of arkansas and none of them are sad areas to visit or live.

sorry for the rant, just didn't take the criticism well, especially if it is unfounded.
Of course I have been there, I am not someone who posts if I haven't experienced something. I didn't mean the statement as a slam, but the poverty but the poverty rate is what is sad. Of course there are positive things about the Delta, just like there are negative things about the NW part of the state, but are you really going to say the poverty rate and lack of facilities, and the unemployment rate isn't a serious concern for those who live in the Delta area? If you don't see that, you might be one of the few.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:15 PM

6 posts, read 10,827 times
Default Couldn't agree more!

I just got back yesterday from moving my mother to Arkansas (from Northern California). It was the most beautiful part of the country I have seen and the people were FABULOUS! I didn't run into even one rude person. Being from CA people do not normally say hello, good morning, or ask you how you are doing if they do not know you. It was so refreshing. I really hope we can join her in the next year or so. I can't imagine why anyone would ever leave such an amazing place.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamin_country View Post
I just got back yesterday from moving my mother to Arkansas (from Northern California). It was the most beautiful part of the country I have seen and the people were FABULOUS! I didn't run into even one rude person. Being from CA people do not normally say hello, good morning, or ask you how you are doing if they do not know you. It was so refreshing. I really hope we can join her in the next year or so. I can't imagine why anyone would ever leave such an amazing place.
I hope she is happy here. It really is a great place to live. We are from CA originally and there are things I miss about the state but I love living here, so does my family and who would ever have guessed we would end up in this state. The interesting thing, my Aunt was born in Vinita OK and dad in cement OK, they are both long gone, but I bet they are in heaven thinking how we have made the circle. Vinita, OK is only about an hour away from where we now live.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:13 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,912,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Of course I have been there, I am not someone who posts if I haven't experienced something. I didn't mean the statement as a slam, but the poverty but the poverty rate is what is sad. Of course there are positive things about the Delta, just like there are negative things about the NW part of the state, but are you really going to say the poverty rate and lack of facilities, and the unemployment rate isn't a serious concern for those who live in the Delta area? If you don't see that, you might be one of the few.
Chicot county is wasting away. It's sad when you know what it was like compared to what it is now. My hometown of Dermott has lost 1/2 of it's population since I left in 1987. Eudora is the same. They even consolidated schools with Lake Village. I'm surprised Dermott hasn't done the same with McGehee. LV is the only bright spot and that is because of the lake.

Although not in Chicot county, the little towns on highway 165 are having the same issues. Montrose, Portland and Wilmont. The last time I was in Portland, I had to drive through town and find a vending machine to buy a Coke. There are no stores outside of ones that cater to farmers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas