Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 01:26 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse48 View Post
People here are friendly and helpful, for the most part. But if you are not a religious person, go somewhere else. It is EXTREMELY conservative, both religiously/socially and politically. Lived here 5 years, and, since I'm not a church-goer, basically don't know anyone that isn't an immediate neighbor. The whole county is like that, and, even though we finally "went wet", and have some good liquor stores, there isn't much else. You will need the liquor if you aren't into this conservative culture, LOL.

There is a good grocery store in Cave City - though Cave City is awful otherwise, and a good one with a Deli and Bakery (Croissants are delightful!) in Highland. There is a Walmart Supercenter in Ash Flat. All are 8-10 miles. Batesville has real shopping and a Kroger's at 20 miles. Evening Shade has a huge new Dollar Store with groceries, but that's it, besides the gas station, which has pizza (actually decent!).

Mosquitoes are not too bad, but the chiggers and ticks will eat you alive. There are poisonous snakes, too, though I rarely see anything but garter snakes and (yuge) blacksnakes. Coyotes abound - keep your small pets indoors. And if you have cats, keep them in. Tick-borne cytauxzoonosis will kill them without prompt veterinary care. Two vet clinics in Ash Flat/Highland are both EXCELLENT, but a tad pricey for the country. The vets are the best thing about the area, given how much we love our critters!

CenturyTel has the lock on communications, and if you live here, 1.5 Mb DSL is the best you can get. At least it will let you have Pandora (local radio is limited to God stations and country music, mostly) and connect with the real world out there. (There are places in Highland/Hardy with FiOS from Fidelity. Go there, instead, if you want to come to this area for some reason.)

We bought here not knowing that once you get it, you can't get rid of it again. We wish we'd known that when we came here. There are no jobs, and real estate isn't just cold, it's FROZEN. I hate it here, as you can tell, but we're stuck.
sorry for your problems; that is why it is important to be sure or as sure as you can be when relocating and buying property unless you are moving because of a company transfer or promotion.

I hope someone will read this and gain something; certainly the OP could care less, the thread is 3 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 04:10 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
sorry for your problems; that is why it is important to be sure or as sure as you can be when relocating and buying property unless you are moving because of a company transfer or promotion.

I hope someone will read this and gain something; certainly the OP could care less, the thread is 3 years old.
When you are attracted to scenic areas of Arkansas due to real low prices on houses there is a reason why houses are so reasonable.

The main reason usually is no jobs.
Low price houses are great when buying but one must realize selling those houses later will be tough to do.

It doesn't bother me as I am retired and my kids can worry about my house when I pass away.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
When you are attracted to scenic areas of Arkansas due to real low prices on houses there is a reason why houses are so reasonable.

The main reason usually is no jobs.
Low price houses are great when buying but one must realize selling those houses later will be tough to do.

It doesn't bother me as I am retired and my kids can worry about my house when I pass awany.
b

I am not quite sure what you are talking about? Of course property values are lower in places with no jobs. As for AR you do know we have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country don't you? BTW, there is more to the low cost housing than just the availability of employment; proximity to amenities, cost of land, size of the town or city, and supply and demand. The overall accessibility plays a part as well.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
b

I am not quite sure what you are talking about? Of course property values are lower in places with no jobs. As for AR you do know we have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country don't you? BTW, there is more to the low cost housing than just the availability of employment; proximity to amenities, cost of land, size of the town or city, and supply and demand. The overall accessibility plays a part as well.
This was about Evening Shade ( Sharp County) and thus my comments were specifically for that area.
I certainly was not referring to your area (NWA) Little Rock area or Jonesboro area.

Yes, Sharp County is very scenic and has some of the most reasonable priced housing in the state.
However, with the glut of houses for sale it is very hard to re-sell when younger people moved here attracted by low cost housing and then realized there are no jobs.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:15 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
Quote:
Yes, Sharp County is very scenic and has some of the most reasonable priced housing in the state.
However, with the glut of houses for sale it is very hard to re-sell when younger people moved here attracted by low cost housing and then realized there are no jobs.
I guess my question would be how are young people buying houses there without jobs to begin with......or am I misunderstanding the point of the discussion?

Old 07-23-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I guess my question would be how are young people buying houses there without jobs to begin with......or am I misunderstanding the point of the discussion?
Many are ........."rent to own"

When houses aren't selling, buyers get desperate.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Many are ........."rent to own"

When houses aren't selling, buyers get desperate.
Okaaayy....

Sorry, really not trying to be a smart aleck, but you still have to be employed to rent a place, yes? Surely not all of these people are renting places and still getting by from what they get from welfare checks, or am I just that ignorant (don't hesitate to tell me if I am!)?

Old 07-23-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Okaaayy....

Sorry, really not trying to be a smart aleck, but you still have to be employed to rent a place, yes? Surely not all of these people are renting places and still getting by from what they get from welfare checks, or am I just that ignorant (don't hesitate to tell me if I am!)?
Section 8 Housing is running rampant in many areas of Sharp County.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Section 8 Housing is running rampant in many areas of Sharp County.
Ohhh......gotcha.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:51 AM

92 posts, read 229,869 times
We agree with RogMar. We bought retirement land there over 10 years ago and it's the best thing we've done!! We plan to move there this fall (if our house sells in Maryland/PA area). We have some of the best neighbors in Evening Shade. Plus we're still friends with the realtor that sold us the land over 10 years ago even though he retired a long time ago. We visit every spring and fall!! As soon as we leave from each trip to head back east we miss Evening Shade and can't wait to get back out again!!!

We have to admit that if you are still working age it's not the ideal place to be but if you are retired it's amazing!! That's the reason our kids (30s and 40s) can't move there. They have to make their money back east. But the youngest son would love to be in Sharp County. We think that when he gets to be in his 60s he may be the one that takes over our place out in AR.

To sum it up, my wife and I can't wait to be in Evening Shade full time!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas