Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 01:27 PM

6 posts, read 24,741 times

Advertisements

Am from Florida and thinking of moving to Tennessee can anyone tell me about Knoxville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 01:36 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn or ozark bound View Post
Good luck with your decision. You could always move to LA to give it a try, then back to AR if you don't like LA.
That's kinda what we're thinking. The LA thing mostly hinges on what I'd get paid. I don't have a job lined up back in AR and I'd probably have a hard time finding one now. I'm an engineer and about 90% of the real engineering jobs (not network admin, never have been able to figure out why people try to call them systems engineers....) are in heavy manufacturing or plumbing/HVAC. I'd almost have to go back to entry level to take those jobs. So, in reality, the decision may actually get made for us.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:14 PM

138 posts, read 637,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
That's kinda what we're thinking. The LA thing mostly hinges on what I'd get paid. I don't have a job lined up back in AR and I'd probably have a hard time finding one now. I'm an engineer and about 90% of the real engineering jobs (not network admin, never have been able to figure out why people try to call them systems engineers....) are in heavy manufacturing or plumbing/HVAC. I'd almost have to go back to entry level to take those jobs. So, in reality, the decision may actually get made for us.
Wow, that's interesting you're an engineer. I'm an engineer too, for the last 20 years in CA, but wanting to give it up. So I'm not planning on doing engineering in AR. But in case I have to or change my mind, I'm curious, what kind of heavy manufacturing jobs are there?

Old 12-28-2006, 04:18 PM

93 posts, read 417,861 times
moved to NWA from South Carolina and LOVING IT HERE!!!

Old 12-28-2006, 04:37 PM

That's good to hear. What do you like about it? Which part of NW Arkansas do you live in?

Old 01-01-2007, 01:01 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Seems like allot of people getting out of California, Wonder why??
Too crowded, too expensive, too fast-paced, infrastructure shabby, people not particularly friendly, open areas disappearing, too many immigrants who don't even try to assimilate, need I go on?

Oh, yeah! I live in CA. Born in the south, lived in the central, now in the north. When I retire in three years we're strongly considering NWA. My wife lived there in the 70s and there's a lot about it that's attractive to to me.

For me, retirement will be ABC -- Anywhere But California!

Old 01-02-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Wow, that's interesting you're an engineer. I'm an engineer too, for the last 20 years in CA, but wanting to give it up. So I'm not planning on doing engineering in AR. But in case I have to or change my mind, I'm curious, what kind of heavy manufacturing jobs are there?
There's a pretty good bit of heavy manufacturing. There's a major aluminum wheel maker in Fayetteville, a new Denso(?) plant in Marion, a passenger bus maker in Conway, etc. If you're a manufacturing or quality engineer, then you'd have little trouble finding something. I have a mechanical degree but i specialize in thermal system analysis and design so there isn't much call for the skills and knowledge I've developed. I thought very seriously about moving back last summer and got an offer but after I took into account everything I could possibly think of in terms of reductions in cost of living, the salary they offered was still about 20% less I make here!! We don't live high on the hog by any means so to take a huge reduction in spending power like that was unacceptable.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:04 AM

113 posts, read 570,599 times
I grew up in Piggott which is about 1 hour north east of Jonesboro, right on the Missouri line. Went to college in Russellville. I've lived in Sherwood (Little Rock community) and Conway since. I'm presently living in Conway.

Of all these places Russellville has been my fav!

Someone was asking about Paragould earlier. paragould is a nice town of about 12k people, but there's not much to do there except go to Jonesboro.

Old 01-02-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
There's a pretty good bit of heavy manufacturing. There's a major aluminum wheel maker in Fayetteville, a new Denso(?) plant in Marion, a passenger bus maker in Conway, etc. If you're a manufacturing or quality engineer, then you'd have little trouble finding something. I have a mechanical degree but i specialize in thermal system analysis and design so there isn't much call for the skills and knowledge I've developed. I thought very seriously about moving back last summer and got an offer but after I took into account everything I could possibly think of in terms of reductions in cost of living, the salary they offered was still about 20% less I make here!! We don't live high on the hog by any means so to take a huge reduction in spending power like that was unacceptable.
I'm an electrical engineer. It sounds like there may not be much call for that?

Old 01-02-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I'm an electrical engineer. It sounds like there may not be much call for that?
Depends on what type of electrical engineer I guess. If your background is in power distribution/construction electric then you'd have no problems but if its more board level design or consumer products type electrical then your options become more limited. There's Baldor electric (motor manufacturer) and Trane HVAC around Fort Smith. There are some other consumer products manufacturers that will have a few electricals on staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas