Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:43 AM

29 posts, read 42,572 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Hi guys, I'm from New Zealand and I am looking at a job opportunity in Helena Western-Helena. Can anyone give me some inside information about what it is like to live there.

Also some ideas regarding rent, utilities and grocery prices would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 09:27 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
New Zealand? To Helena, Arkansas? Or are you just from NZ and already here in the US?

Old 11-29-2012, 11:42 AM

Not already in the US. It would certainly be a change I imagine! Since I can't really just pop over for a week or so to check it out, I need to try get some ideas from others.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Are you familiar with the Delta region at all? Arkansas at all?

Boy, this is a tough one - but Helena is flat. Very flat. Farming area primarily, and not a wealthier area of the state. West Helena has had it's share of issues with local law enforcement and there have been major drug problems there and in surrounding towns...not that drug activity is all that unusual, but it's sort of along a major route.

I'll be honest - and I LOVE the Delta - I'd have to have a really great job opportunity to consider it. Memphis isn't far, though, and it does give some type of diversity to the area and something to do. If you're looking for a vibrant lifestyle, I wouldn't think that area of the state is probably what you're looking for.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

Flat would be a bit of a change from here, but I currently live and work in Kaitaia which is a town of approximately 5,000 which (according to wikipedia) is known for its flourishing marijuana trade. What is of most concern to me is is it safe for me to walk around town in the day time? As a foreigner am I going to have trouble being accepted. I'm pretty laid back, not looking to bother anyone.

Any further advice would also be greatly appreciated!

Old 11-30-2012, 03:27 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Are you going to be assaulted? No. Are you going to fit in? Never. You may be a an oddity and the subject of some discussion and speculation, though. But you probably would be gossip fodder if you were from Blytheville...H/WH isn't that big, I'm sure newcomers are noted immediately, particularly without the Southern accent :-) It's sorta one of those places you have to be from, not migrate to.

I have to admit some curiosity as to what kind of job offer you could possibly have in WH that would cause you to move around the world to follow it, when many people in that area of the state would give anything just to have regular employment. It does seem a bit odd that a foreigner would be imported for a job - no offense to you, of course, but unemployment is rampant and lots of extremely qualified folks are looking for any job they can lay their hands on.

I would think grocery prices, etc. would be pretty much in line with the rest of the state. Rent and utilities may be a bit lower. Have you looked at the local paper there to get an idea? Entergy Arkansas would probably be the electric provider unless there is a co-op, and Centerpoint would probably be the natural gas provider.

I'm guessing it's just you, no schools or anything else to consider? Frankly, I'm not sure we have any Helena posters on this board. Anyone out there with any more info for this poster?

Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 AM

I'd rather be in New Zealand that Helena, Arkansas. New Zealand is such an outstandingly beautiful country! I know that parts of the US (and even Arkansas) are beautiful also, but to leave New Zealand and come to Helena, Arkansas??

Nope.

I'm with Sam....better check this job offer out thoroughly, if you haven't already.

Are things so bad in New Zealand? I'm trying to wrap my head around why anyone would want to move to Helena from New Zealand.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:23 PM

Things aren't bad in New Zealand at all, and yes, it is very beautiful here. I'm just looking for the chance to work overseas for awhile.

The job I'm looking in to is a teaching job for a high school - I understand that it will be hard work, but so is the school I work at here. It's not a definate yet, but I wanted to know more about Helena before proceeding further.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 12-02-2012, 12:53 PM

Helena is in the "delta" region of Arkansas, which is just flat farmland. Some people find that pretty, I suppose....I find it extremely boring.

I live in an area much like Helena, and let me tell you, I am bored silly with it. If you want to move to Arkansas, almost anything in the western part would be better than the eastern part, and more specifically, the northwest part....well, from about Hot Springs on up.

I would advise you to wait until you have a better offer somewhere nicer, prettier, and more interesting than Helena, Arkansas, to come to the US. In my opinion, it would be a wasted trip.

I know I'm probably gonna get grief from someone about this, but I just want you to know what you would be getting into!

Old 12-07-2012, 04:36 PM

490 posts, read 1,266,868 times
I lived and worked in Helena/West Helena (it was two separate towns then) from 1972 until 1976 and it was a great small town(s) then. Made a load if good friends, some I am still in contact with but like me, they no longer live there.

I had not been back to Helena since I left but had heard some bad things. I was on a business trip to Memphis in 2009 and decided to drive down to look for myself.

I was SHOCKED to say the least. The town is dead, run down and crime ridden. I did not feel that safe driving in my car much less walking. The downtown area (Cherry St) was a vibrant area when I lived there but now is mostly boarded up. If not for the annual blues festival (which is top notch by the way), I don't know if the area could survive.

I would think real heard about this move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas