Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 11:12 PM

112 posts, read 581,505 times

Advertisements

My hubby recently lost his job. He got a job offer from an old friend in Arkansas. The position is in Lake Village. I've been there once about 17 ro 18 years ago but have no idea what to expect today. He hasn't taken the job just yet. He wanted to talk it over with me. He has until Friday to make up his mind. I thought the area was very pretty. I liked the lake. My problem is the schools there. I'm from the South but mostly lived in the West where the schools are so much better. Right now I'm back in the south but not in Arkansas. I'm currently homeschooling my kids but I have one daughter who needs speech. My son might need it too. How does a homeschooling kids get those kinds of services? My daughter also has medical issues and where would we take her that's close by? Also, where do you shop? Is there anywhere else besides Greenville. After looking at city-data, I think I want to avoid Greenville at all cost! Private school is out of the question. We can't afford it with five kids. Are there any parks for young children? Is the town safe? We're not the outdoorsy type of people. We don't fish, hunt, stuff like that. Is there anything besides that or something nearby for our family to enjoy? Like I said, I haven't been there in years and I was only there for one day. We're not sure what to do. With the job market the way it is he might have to take this job. Or would it be better to decline it and hope and pray that God will give him a job in a better place. We're torn on what to do. He needs a job but we feel uneasy about the place. I don't think he can live outside the town, it might be a job requirement. But I'll get my hubby to ask this guy tomorrow. If we didn't have children, he would take the job. But we do and this matters to us a great deal. Also, I would like to get a part time job in the afternoon or night, would an employer be ok with working only during those hours so that I could homeschool during the day? Are there good churches their too with lots of young children and teens. I'm very picky when it comes to my kids, sorry, I know it's a lot of questions. Grateful for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 12:16 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,871 times
Quote:
My daughter also has medical issues and where would we take her that's close by?
Maybe the hospital in LV? I've had family in there over the years. Is it the Mayo Clinic? No. But it is better than nothing at all.

Quote:
Also, where do you shop? Is there anywhere else besides Greenville.
Pine Bluff, AR or "Fun-roe" Monroe, LA.

Quote:
Are there any parks for young children?
No. Then again, I grew up 20 miles north of LV and there were no parks there either. It didn't slow me down.

Quote:
Is the town safe?
Relatively safe. I have a LOT of friends and some family that live there.

Quote:
We're not the outdoorsy type of people. We don't fish, hunt, stuff like that. Is there anything besides that or something nearby for our family to enjoy?
You can do other things outside besides hunt and fish. Until the jumping carp invaded Lake Chicot, skiing was great. I haven't been on the lake in 2 years and they were going to try to eliminate the invasive fish but I don't know how that went.

Quote:
Also, I would like to get a part time job in the afternoon or night, would an employer be ok with working only during those hours so that I could homeschool during the day?
That depends on the employer.

Quote:
Are there good churches their too with lots of young children and teens. I'm very picky when it comes to my kids, sorry, I know it's a lot of questions.
There are lots of churches. Good ones? What is your criteria?

If you don't have to live in town, you can live west of town and get into the Hamburg school district. It could mean going as far as Portland or Montrose which are even smaller than LV. Not that they are bad. In fact, my wife and I are planning to move to Portland in the next couple of years.

If you don't mind, can you PM me who your husband's job will be with? Between me and my wife, we probably know about 100 people in Lake Village.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:06 PM

Robert,
Thanks for the advice.
To be honest with you. I don't even know the name of the company. He didn't tell me. He just said that an old friend from way back said he had something in LV.
We spent an hour on the phone and internet looking stuff up about the town. I didn't see much so I told him to let me get on here and ask about the town. I haven't talked to my hubby today. He's out of state still drawing unemployment from there. Me and kids are staying with family in the South. My husband is really torn about this job. He likes his old friend and it would great for them to work together again, but we both have concerns about our kids, if LV will meet our needs.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:13 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
I would look into living in Portland and driving to LV to work. Portland is a small safe community in the Hamburg School District. I don't know where you live now, but the humidity and mosquitoes in that area are insane. To shop you go to Monroe.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:12 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
humidity and mosquitoes in that area are insane.
You can adjust to the humidity. Nights in the summer are horrible. After all of these years I still hate skeeters. The only time they weren't bad was the middle of Lake Chicot at about 2am. We had about 30 people on 2 party barges doing some late night swimming under a full moon.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:07 PM

I didn't get to talk with my hubby last night. I'm sick with the flu and feel like I'm on my death bed.
I know about skeeters. But I think that's all of the South. It's humid here too where I live. We're still up in the air if we want to take the job or not. Hubby wants to stay in the west. I can't blame him. But the cost of living is more expensive than the south. But the wages are very low.
I did miss the mud-bugs though. So sad, in the spring you can't get crawfish out west. I guess we'll have to see what happens.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:44 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicBoxBallerina74 View Post
I didn't get to talk with my hubby last night. I'm sick with the flu and feel like I'm on my death bed.
I know about skeeters. But I think that's all of the South. It's humid here too where I live. We're still up in the air if we want to take the job or not. Hubby wants to stay in the west. I can't blame him. But the cost of living is more expensive than the south. But the wages are very low.
I did miss the mud-bugs though. So sad, in the spring you can't get crawfish out west. I guess we'll have to see what happens.
Hope you get to feeling better. I know about the mud bugs. When I moved to Colorado I wanted to hold a crawfish boil. Everyone just looked at me and went "EW". Good luck to yall. The good thing is if it doesn't work out, you can always move back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas