Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:48 PM

723 posts, read 1,050,205 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My wife and I are going to be relocating to Arkansas in the next year or so. She has family in Flippin and we are wanting to be within an hours drive from there, at the most two hours drive. I am originally from Chicago......... but we now live in a small town of 13,000 people in Illinois. I am not very interested in living in a "city" unless need be. We have 2 daughters under the age of 2, and a 12yr old son. I love to hike!!! Being the reason we chose Arkansas!! We want to be where nature is. Where better, of course, than the natural state

The only specifics I have for a place is safety for my babies!!! I was hoping to live somewhere close to the population of where we live now. But given the right circumstances I will live anywhere that is a good place to raise my children!! I was looking into Branson, MO as well. As it is only an hour and a half from Flippin. If anyone could PLEASE, offer some suggestions IN Arkansas, I am up for a little research. Plus, I would LOVE to hear what the locals have to say concerning life in the Ozarks!!! Thank you all in advance!!!

GOD BLESS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 05:58 PM

We have made a decision!!!!

Thanks to all for the hospitality!!!!! I think????

Old 08-09-2010, 09:12 PM

36 posts, read 111,856 times
Default What did you decide?

I'm no help but I wish you the best.

We live in southeast MO so can't offer advice, don't know the area, only drove through that area once.

I personally like the mostly laid back people I've met in AR. Friendly, and no-one has asked me "Where are you from"? Of course they won't, I have a southern accent. LOL! People in MO do ask and sometimes in a not nice way. Oh well, I KNOW they aren't better than me but they will never see it.

I wish you well in your move and hope you will be satisfied where you go.

Last edited by southerngurl; 08-09-2010 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: mistake

Old 08-09-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngurl View Post
I'm no help but I wish you the best.

We live in southeast MO so can't offer advice, don't know the area, only drove through that area once.

I personally like the mostly laid back people I've met in AR. Friendly, and no-one has asked me "Where are you from"? Of course they won't, I have a southern accent. LOL! People in MO do ask and sometimes in a not nice way. Oh well, I KNOW they aren't better than me but they will never see it.

I wish you well in your move and hope you will be satisfied where you go.

Thank you southerngurl!! You are most polite. I appreciate the kind words.
I love Arkansas!! Though, I have only been through the state once. The nature is the reason we chose Arkansas over Missouri. Well, that and my wife's family!!! LOL

GOD BLESS!!!

Old 08-10-2010, 04:06 AM

59 posts, read 195,640 times
You seem so excited to come to AR I hope you can find a deal like we did.Moved here 2 yrs ago from N.H.Got a 5 bdr 2600 sq ft house on .5 acre for 108k ! 13 Mature oak trees in front yard. Am actually in Bryant,next to LR.Dont know if you're looking to buy or rent,rents are reasonable also.Is hot though,had 8 or 9 days of triple digit temps,up to 107 plus humidity,heat indexes of 115+.yesterday at 3.15 pm it was 100 same temp as Phoenix.the difference,thier heat index felt like 97 ours like 108 w/humidity.(I lived in Phx for 30 yrs ).

good luck,you'll like living in AR

Old 08-10-2010, 05:38 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,221,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST2L8 View Post
Thank you southerngurl!! You are most polite. I appreciate the kind words.
I love Arkansas!! Though, I have only been through the state once. The nature is the reason we chose Arkansas over Missouri. Well, that and my wife's family!!! LOL

GOD BLESS!!!
Hope it works for you as well as it has worked for us. We have been here over 2 years (it doesn't seem possilbe) and do not regret it for one minute. Is it perfect? Of course not, nothing is, do we sometimes miss some of what we left behind? Yes, but we have gained more than we have lost.

Of course we have the Hogs to cheer on as well.

NIta

Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 AM

3 posts, read 6,098 times
We've been here (after we retired) since 2004. We purchased 20 acres in Jordan, AR, about 20 miles SE of Mountain Home. The scenery is wonderful, the folks are friendly. There is (truth be told) a bit of a problem between the locals and northerners, but as more of us move down we are starting to out number them. The skies area beautiful blue and the snow is maybe a couple of times a year. The summers are hot but I love hot. Going out on one of the lakes is wonderful. Lake Norfork is cleaner and clearer than any lake I'd seen in MN. The property taxes are very reasonable and income taxes favor the retirees. I took a few courses at ASUMH which is a lovely campus. It's growing and more programs are being added all the time. In MH we have a Chili's El Chico's, a Colton's, and now even a Papa Murphy's. That let's us take home an uncooked pizza and cook it here and not worry about it cooling off between MH and home. We bought a pontoon boat here and boating and swimming on the lake is wonderful. If you like to hike and fish, this is the place and every turn in the road is a scenic beauty. There are a couple of movie houses in town, but when "The Queen" came out, they decided to show "Jack Ass II". It's about 1.5 hours to Branson, and about 2.5 hrs to Springfield. There is a JC penney's in West Plains, MO. We have a Home Depot and Lowe's in MH, along with a Staples and a TJ Max. Would sure like to see a Kohl's or a Target, but right now the nation's economy is putting a damper on those. I think once the economy starts to come back things will start to come to MH. A lot of right wingers here, but there are more registered Democrats. Lots of hunting, but we don't hunt. It's not overwhelming. The state actively encourages retirees to come here.But working at the hospital, we sure see a lot of babies being born. Arkansas has a great health care program for children called ARKids.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:16 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,064,423 times
MH and the Norfolk Lake area is indeed a beautiful part of the state. Have friends who live in that area and spent some time there on a couple of occasions. If I chose to leave my state the MH area would be near the top of the list. Not too small but not too crowded either.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,604 times
You might consider Mountain Home, Gassville, or Harrison.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:13 PM

3,326 posts, read 3,180,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzypat View Post
We've been here (after we retired) since 2004. We purchased 20 acres in Jordan, AR, about 20 miles SE of Mountain Home. The scenery is wonderful, the folks are friendly. There is (truth be told) a bit of a problem between the locals and northerners, but as more of us move down we are starting to out number them. The skies area beautiful blue and the snow is maybe a couple of times a year. The summers are hot but I love hot. Going out on one of the lakes is wonderful. Lake Norfork is cleaner and clearer than any lake I'd seen in MN. The property taxes are very reasonable and income taxes favor the retirees. I took a few courses at ASUMH which is a lovely campus. It's growing and more programs are being added all the time. In MH we have a Chili's El Chico's, a Colton's, and now even a Papa Murphy's. That let's us take home an uncooked pizza and cook it here and not worry about it cooling off between MH and home. We bought a pontoon boat here and boating and swimming on the lake is wonderful. If you like to hike and fish, this is the place and every turn in the road is a scenic beauty. There are a couple of movie houses in town, but when "The Queen" came out, they decided to show "Jack Ass II". It's about 1.5 hours to Branson, and about 2.5 hrs to Springfield. There is a JC penney's in West Plains, MO. We have a Home Depot and Lowe's in MH, along with a Staples and a TJ Max. Would sure like to see a Kohl's or a Target, but right now the nation's economy is putting a damper on those. I think once the economy starts to come back things will start to come to MH. A lot of right wingers here, but there are more registered Democrats. Lots of hunting, but we don't hunt. It's not overwhelming. The state actively encourages retirees to come here.But working at the hospital, we sure see a lot of babies being born. Arkansas has a great health care program for children called ARKids.
We're not worried about it. We're the ones having kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas