Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 08:58 PM

5 posts, read 18,104 times

Advertisements

I am retiring to Arizona from California. I am looking around Flagstaff, Parks, Paulden, Mountainaire areas. I do not like HOT weather, mountain areas are perfect, Coconino County looks nice on the internet??. Cabin style homes with some property. Looking for a place with mountain views with trees and that has a small town with little crime. All the homes in this county seem very reasonable. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2006, 02:32 AM

153 posts, read 1,247,586 times
Not sure where in CA you currently live, and what type of winters you're used to....Flag is gorgeous, no doubt about it. However, be prepared for long and cold winters, up to 84" of snow and ice. Hopefully they get heavy snowfall because that is the basis for their water supply. The cost of housing has escalated in the last 10+ years, but still nothing like CA. Flag also gets ice in the winter. If you are needing to work (not retired or filthy rich, lol) and must get out to go to work in the winter months, be forewarned that driving in extreme winter conditions is no fun, and very treacherous.

Maybe you've lived in severe winter areas and that would not bother you at all.

During the summer months, due to tourism, it is very crowded and getting across down on the Santa Fe, Milton, etc., is very time consuming. It is a college town also (NAU), but doesn't seem as crazy as some college towns. You would find many wonderful places to visit in and around Flag, and never be without something to do or see. As far as night light, it's not L.A. by any means (thank goodness), but this all depends on what you are looking for in your type of lifestyle.

The San Francisco Peaks can be very mystifying to some, and I am one of those who would love to live in Flag...but not until I retired so that I could stay home when the weather is at it's worst and just enjoy looking at the snow from the safety and warm of my home.

I hope I've been able to shed some light on Flag for you.

Katie

Old 07-22-2006, 12:06 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,471,934 times
Mountains in the desert sound appealing, but remember that water flows downhill, so contrary to what the vegetation might suggest, there is more ground water at the lower elevations than in the mountains. Many places in Coconino County, including Flagstaff have significant water supply issues.

Old 07-24-2006, 08:55 PM

35 posts, read 167,993 times
Have you looked into Payson. The summers are pretty warm but they don't get as much snow in the winter.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:44 PM

22 posts, read 191,768 times
One reason we rejected Payson in favor of Show Low was the water. Payson seems to have a real problem, while Show Low apparently has plenty of water. It's also getting enough rain that the fire danger has dropped to moderate or better. They're even allowing outdoor burning.

Old 09-02-2006, 05:22 PM

21 posts, read 133,083 times
Lived in Flagstaff for many many years............in the days (before the drought) when the winters were so harsh that you couldn't find your car for the high drifts of snow......where you were suffering from cabin fever because the roads were so bad you didn't want to risk driving. The past 10 to 15 years because of the drought have been very mild winters there.....but those winters will come back!!! Be warned!! Housing prices in Flag. are the highest in the state and if you are looking for work there, the jobs are few and far between and low-paying.........if you are retiring.......you can join all your fellow Californians that now live there and have made the city congested (and are also to blame for the high prices of homes and land!). Almost impossible to get around on the one and only main drag (Milton or Rt. 66) during rush hour. Good luck and glad I moved!!!!!!!

Old 08-22-2016, 06:56 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,702,020 times
We have lived in many cities/towns in AZ. They include Prescott/ Prescott Valley, Hereford/ Sierra Vista, Safford and Tucson. Until we relocated to Prescott and then Prescott Valley we looked at Payson, Flagstaff, Phoenix and others some 8 years ago. We wanted cooler WX and to get away from some of the border issues found in the SE section of the state.
How is your medical health? While it may not be an issue now it could be in the future. Many communities just don't have much in the way of doctors or hospitals/clinics that many require as we age.
AZ is a funny state and differs vastly by location more than many. I have been in and out of the state (born/raised in N. CA) since 1966 at first being in the Army.
Most travel through the Phoenix metro or Tucson area and think that is what the state is all about~~not quite.
The last time we relocated we spent a few days in each area to get a good feel for them and it's highly recommended.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:51 PM

273 posts, read 209,594 times
Wow. Awesome necro.

You do realize that this thread is from 2006, not 2016, right?

Old 08-22-2016, 03:40 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,096,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarney View Post
Wow. Awesome necro.

You do realize that this thread is from 2006, not 2016, right?
Agreed, ken. I had to do a double take since I thought the OP was the ultimate lurker for having five posts in ten years. Then I looked at the date(s).

Old 08-22-2016, 04:30 PM

4,506 posts, read 4,625,846 times
I was reading this thread because I thought it was current.

I posted on an old thread earlier today or yesterday. It's so easy to do.

I'm sure that happens a lot.

Why don't these old threads, say over a year of no activity, get stored someplace where it won't be so easy for somebody to click on?

Or have a warning signal that when you click on the "Post Reply" button, a question pops up that asks something like "You do realize the thread you are about to respond to has not had any activity in over a year, don't you?"

I did enjoy reading this thread about Flagstaff and snow, never the less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona