Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2009, 03:12 AM

70 posts, read 77,087 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I was hoping to get some advice on a very unusual plan. Im wanting to build a private spot to fly radio controlled model airplanes and need it to be on very cheap land that is sizable enough to put neighbors at a distance due to the possible liability of noise and crashes. for my purpose Ive decided that 100 acres is about right which is why Im look at desert land that most others would deem "worthless". Ive heard that san bernardino mohave county is a great place to start my search. as well as western arizona

nearby schooling isnt an issue and the plan is to truck in water if necessary. I will use a converted shipping container to house the monitor of the land, It will be an "off the grid" setup. Mainly, access to the land, and low price are the biggest considerations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 05:54 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,416,255 times
100 acres would be pretty expensive to just use as a field like that. There is one of these on Cave Creek Rd just north of Deer Valley I believe.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:19 AM

572 posts, read 2,486,281 times
Why do you need 100 acres? The desert is an open area and all you need to do is drive out a mile or so off the beaten path and fly there. If you feel the need to own the land check out by Yucca or Golden Valley.
My Home (http://www.newtohavasu.net/index.html - broken link)
Aerial Photography

Old 07-03-2009, 04:32 PM

The need to own the land is due to the fact that you dont just go and start a business on land that you dont own. additionally, the plan is to eventually build support amenties to accent the club. why 100 acres? because if you lose signal on an airplane you will have an immediate crash or a flyaway. this club wont be under american model association rules and thus wont have thier insurance policy coverage, to counter this, I must minimize the risks as much as possible.
I posted the same question in the california mohave desert section and got accused of planning a meth lab! Im looking for USEFUL information, can anyone here help i that regard?

Old 07-03-2009, 08:03 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Good access, and low price are usually diametrically opposed criteria. Although, perhaps you should define what you mean by good access? Good access to a freeway? Or to a large city?

Businesses work by supply and demand. If you're going to need customers to make your plan succeed, then you need to determine whether the demographics work for you. You can buy land in AZ for as little as $500 to $2000 an acre. However, it will be in the middle of nowhere. If you can't find enough customers willing to travel to your business, then it won't succeed. Will they be willing to travel out to the middle of the desert, then down 20 miles or more of dirt road? They'll spend half the day traveling to get there. Then what? Everybody cram into the storage container and spend the night?

At least San Bernadino is close to LA. But western AZ? That's quite a haul from anywhere. I live here, I know.

BTW, there is a local club out here that I see flying RC planes. I think they just traipse out into the desert as was suggested above. When you're talking about isolated land like this, there aren't much in the way of neighbors to worry about.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:14 PM

By good access I mean access to the property even if only a dirt road. Would you happen to know if joshua trees on property are prohibited from being removed in arizona? Ive heard this from somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona