Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 02:51 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,844,245 times

Advertisements

So I watched the movie 3:10 to Yuma last night and in the special features they talk about how they built the town of Contention, AZ from the ground up. I would imagine the city/set they created wasn't destroyed given all the work and money that went into it... do any of you know where that set is located? Are there any intact old western/ghost towns in AZ where you can really get a feel for what life was like back in those days? Seems like a really fascinating part of american history... and particulary history of the southwest. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 04:26 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,291 times
Tombstone, AZ is a neat western place..

Old 06-30-2009, 04:31 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,533,313 times
Contention City - Arizona Ghost Town

As mentioned above, tombstone is going to be your best bet as far as seeing any preserved buildings from the that time period. It is anything but a ghost town though - 1500 some residents, thousands of tourists monthly. It still looks like a bustling mining town if you can get past the anachronisms.

Most of the ghost towns in AZ are nothing but remnants of old walls or foundations. Some still have enough that it actually looks like a building of some sort.

One of my favorites: Total Wreck - Arizona Ghost Town

Edit, as for the movie and its set. It was not even filmed in Arizona - it was filmed in New Mexico.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
After filming concluded, the owners of the Cerro Pelon Ranch petitioned to keep a $2 million expansion to the movie set on their property, which was supposed to be dismantled within 90 days. The set of 3:10 to Yuma made up 75% of the overall sets on the ranch.[12] In April 2007, the request was met by the county's development review committee to keep the expansion, which would potentially generate revenue in the future.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:48 PM

148 posts, read 757,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
I would imagine the city/set they created wasn't destroyed given all the work and money that went into it... do any of you know where that set is located?
New Mexico.... I think.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:00 PM

Just looked around on the maps a little bit and it looks like Bisbee is still pretty intact... not too far from Tombstone. Is that place worth visiting?

Old 06-30-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSet View Post
New Mexico.... I think.
I think you're right... looks like it was built near Santa Fe.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:25 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,533,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Just looked around on the maps a little bit and it looks like Bisbee is still pretty intact... not too far from Tombstone. Is that place worth visiting?
Bisbee is still an 'alive' town also. It has some historic sights to see as well.
Bisbee Attractions

The Copper Queen hotel there, is said to be pretty haunted.
Welcome to the Copper Queen Hotel in Historic Bisbee Arizona!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:38 AM

I think you can actually see the set they used for Contention on the satellite aerial with Bing maps! It looks like it's just southwest of those cooridinates. Very cool!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:46 PM

641 posts, read 2,366,324 times
There is a real good one on the highway going from New Mexico to Phoenix , the route you take through Sholo, not the flagstaff route. I can not remember if it was before or after going through quamado.

I forget the town, but halfway through, there is a town you drive through that is abandoned. The highway goes rite though it. A lot of buildings intact, and a lot falling down. Anyone know what I am talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona