Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 10:00 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,815,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The diesel engines are being used now, and it's a shame because they are much more polluting than steam engines. trance fee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Sorry, but you have that backwards. Diesel is less polluting for two reasons. Steam locomotives use wood or coal-fired boilers to make the steam, both of which generate much more pollution than do modern diesel engines which are actually very clean burning. Plus diesel engines are much more efficient than steam engines. That means they derive more power from their fuel, and so generate less pollution for that reason as well.
Over the years I have experienced both Steam and Diesel Engines and, in spite of the pollution issue, the engine up front has no bearing on the enjoyment level. Granted, the Steam Engine is a little more "romantic" and makes for better pictures . . .

MY TWO CENTS WORTH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 10:30 AM

24,645 posts, read 26,203,441 times
If I remember correctly from reading from a paper Xanterra put out, the steam engines actually used diesel fuel to create the steam and they actually used more diesel fuel that the diesel engines. So Xanterra was on a "green" kick and decided to drop the steam engines.

I think it was about the money. Wish I had kept that paper.

I did find this.

Grand Canyon Train at Depot - Williams Arizona on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7202153@N03/2694996282/ - broken link)

Old 05-23-2009, 12:25 AM

339 posts, read 1,265,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
If I remember correctly from reading from a paper Xanterra put out, the steam engines actually used diesel fuel to create the steam and they actually used more diesel fuel that the diesel engines. So Xanterra was on a "green" kick and decided to drop the steam engines.

I did find this.

Grand Canyon Train at Depot - Williams Arizona on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7202153@N03/2694996282/ - broken link)
You are correct - most restored steam engines have been modified to burn "bunker c" oil, or diesel oil, in place of wood or coal. but they still burn it in a converted firebox.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:09 AM

221 posts, read 537,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post

I did find this.

Yes that is correct, it's a low grade diesel. Another benefit of couse is not sparks to start fires from cinders cause by wood or coal when going thru the dry wilderness areas.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:36 PM

54,505 posts, read 33,951,959 times
The last time I remember riding a train was when I was a kid. It was infront of a grocery store and my parents put a coin in it...

I've heard from many people who have ridden on the Grand Canyon Railroad and they said it was very enjoyable, I'll have to try it out sometime... even though I'm more of an aviation enthusiast, but there aren't any flights from Williams International Airport to the Grand Canyon.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
The last time I remember riding a train was when I was a kid. It was infront of a grocery store and my parents put a coin in it...

I've heard from many people who have ridden on the Grand Canyon Railroad and they said it was very enjoyable, I'll have to try it out sometime... even though I'm more of an aviation enthusiast, but there aren't any flights from Williams International Airport to the Grand Canyon.
HELICOPTERS, Mike?

and, by the way, you should be ashamed of yourself as you call yourself an Arizona Native . . . definitely, one of the FUNNEST and BESTEST excursions available.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:02 PM

54,505 posts, read 33,951,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
HELICOPTERS, Mike?

and, by the way, you should be ashamed of yourself as you call yourself an Arizona Native . . . definitely, one of the FUNNEST and BESTEST excursions available.
LOL.. I have taken the Grand Canyon Helicopter tour.. on a real helicopter, not the ones you put coins in!

Does the light rail in Phoenix have excursions to the Grand Canyon?

I'll get on the GC railroad sometime in the near future.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
LOL.. I have taken the Grand Canyon Helicopter tour.. on a real helicopter, not the ones you put coins in!

Does the light rail in Phoenix have excursions to the Grand Canyon?

I'll get on the GC railroad sometime in the near future.
Deal, Mike . . . we'll be patiently waiting for a DETAILED REPORT on your Grand Canyon Railway - The Official Site trip!

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 06-01-2009, 09:16 PM

8,059 posts, read 12,356,928 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
HELICOPTERS, Mike?

I think I'll assist both of you with round trip tickets on the Grand Canyon train, and one way tickets to your respective rooms.
()

On a serious note: this is also the tourist season in northern Arizona, so anybody that is planning a Grand Canyon trip from now through Labor Day had better expect the usual crowds. The entire Grand Canyon Village was already packed with visitors when we went in the middle part of May. Obviously the so called "dreary economy" hasn't put a damper on the tourism industry ... which is good because this is beneficial for the economy in northern AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona