Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 08:52 AM

8 posts, read 32,384 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning to move and we are bringing our 2 cats, ferret, and a dog with us. What type of animals are down there?

My cats are in doors but will they be safe, along with my dog? Are there precautions I should take before I let my dog out or will my animals be able to handle themselves?

Oh, and we're planning on moving to Gilbert or the surrounding area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 01:45 PM

2 posts, read 14,485 times
We're getting ready to move to the St. John's area. What am I looking for up on the ridges where we bought our land? We're planning to go off the grid and everything about living out West is foreign to us as we both grew up on the East Coast. We deal with rabid raccoons, tons of squirrels a bunch of different types of bees and spiders....some snakes.....and way too many mosquitoes! Thanks!

Old 01-31-2009, 05:21 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,419,889 times
You can have outdoor and indoor cats, just like any state. You don't really have to worry about anything eating your cat unless you live near a desert, then you might have to worry about coyotes.

Nothing will bother your dog, what do you think the millions of us do with out dogs, make them crap indoors?

Old 01-31-2009, 05:32 PM

8 posts, read 32,384 times
Haha, no of course I was just wondering if you had to look outside for like a snake or something so the dog doesn't get bit when you let him outside. I have indoor cats to, and say a scorpion gets in the house, can the cat kill it or will the cat get stung and need to go to the vet?

Old 01-31-2009, 06:00 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Your questions have been asked and answered more times than I can count on this forum. Do a search. Bottom line is relax! Az is not overrun by snakes. I would guess that maybe 1 in 5000 people have ever seen a snake here outside of the zoo. You may chance upon one on desert trails if you take doggie walking there - particularly in the spring. If you have the dog on a leash, there is nothing to worry about - just back off quickly. If the dog is running free, dogs are dumb and will challenge the snake and get bit in the nose. Rattlesnake bites will kill even large dogs. But your chances of seeing one, even on the desert trails in spring are very low. If you must let the dog run loose on walks though the desert there is rattlesnake aversion training available.

Now scorpions. Many people have them, most deny they do (never see one). Which brings up the main point. They really aren't that much of a pest. Cats hear them and zero in on them. They swat at them etc. I never heard of a cat dying from a bite. Either they are too quick or their hair is too thick to get stung or they just don't react all that badly. Same with dogs, never heard of one dying from a scorpion or even being stung for that matter. No people have died in 40 some years either. A lot more people die of bee stings and West Nile fever. I, personally, have been stung a few times (I have lived about 36 years). No big deal.

On the matter of bees. One thing to be on the lookout for is killer bees. In March or so they swarm and can set up shop at your house overnite. They do not like dogs - I guess they look like bears to them - and will attack dogs without provocation. Just keep an eye on the eaves, trees etc in spring. It is not very likely that you will get them, but it happens. ALL bees in AZ should be considered Africanized (killer) bees. Don't mess with them.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:19 PM

861 posts, read 2,192,295 times
It is a proven fact that Az Gila Monsters, and overrown tarantulas will on a regular basis break down doors, and drag civilized doggies and kittys screaming into the night........

Naaahhhh...probably no more danger in the middle of Gilbert than in any other town in the US...

Old 01-31-2009, 11:51 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
And watch out for the "Jackalopes", they may kidnap your kids.
Your biggest worry here will be dealing the nutty drivers from all over the country bringing with them their crazy driving habits.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 AM

861 posts, read 2,192,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
And watch out for the "Jackalopes", they may kidnap your kids.
Your biggest worry here will be dealing the nutty drivers from all over the country bringing with them their crazy driving habits.

Chupacabras are especially bad around here too....keep them goats inside!!!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:04 PM

383 posts, read 641,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spordee View Post
Haha, no of course I was just wondering if you had to look outside for like a snake or something so the dog doesn't get bit when you let him outside. I have indoor cats to, and say a scorpion gets in the house, can the cat kill it or will the cat get stung and need to go to the vet?
I've only been here for six months and I have two dogs. We hike and run them a lot out in the desert. What I did was take my two and have them snake proofed with a wonderful dog trainer.

I found one in Tuscan, not the place I went to, but I'd advise you to talk to them if you like to hike or run with your dogs, it will be cheaper then the vet bill.. Here's a link....

Garvin's Pet Training - Dog Training, Obedience, Agility - Tucson Arizona Animal Training

Old 02-01-2009, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 14,485 times
Default Chupacabras!

hahaha! I've heard of the jackalopes.....but chupacabras????lolololol! Too funny!

Thanks for the humor....I needed that!
I've wanted nothing more than to go off the grid for years now and now that we are....I'M ABSOLUTELY TERRIFIED OF LIVING IN THE WILD!!! LOL!

I still wanna do it....so I'll be asking lots of questions on many forums like this one.

Again....thanks for making me laugh at my own silliness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post
Chupacabras are especially bad around here too....keep them goats inside!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona