Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2007, 01:32 AM

1 posts, read 6,608 times

Advertisements

Hello locals-

What's the safest (and affordable) city in AZ within an hour or so of Scottsdale?

Some cities post the crime calls online and some are outrageous compared to the small town I am moving from....not all cities post......

Any info is GREATLY appreciated!

Please advise -I have heard about traffic issues but cant find much info on a good city where you dont have to worry about car or home break ins and bad neighbor problems....one city had a million calls to people selling drugs in the parking lot of a preschool & elementary.....looking for a non drug, non gang problem area- is that possible? And exactly how bad is the gang problem at high schools etc there?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 03:13 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,452,731 times
I don't think there is any one generally accepted definition of "safest city." Crime statistics only go so far and can be interpreted many different ways. In addition, most cities and towns in the area are quite large, so it's really not possible to say that one city or town is safe in its entirety. You would have to be much more specific in discussing neighborhoods. My zip code in the heart of Phoenix, for example, has a moderate amount of crime, but when one considers my immediate neighborhood, using a major freeway as a dividing line between it and other neighborhoods, crime is virtually non-existent. It's higher at the other end of the zip code across the freeway.

It is interesting, however, that you've phrased your question as within one hour of Scottsdale. Keep in mind that Phoenix, not Scottsdale, is the center of the region. Scottsdale is but one of many suburbs. Are you really asking for the safest communities in the Phoenix Metro Area? If so, can you be more specific about your needs in terms of amount you're willing to pay; where you're likely to be working; preference for apartment, condominium, or house, etc.?

Last edited by exit2lef; 02-25-2007 at 03:43 AM..

Old 02-25-2007, 09:57 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
There isn't any place here in the Phx metro area that you cannot worry about car break-ins or stolen cars, and house break-ins. It happens EVERYWHERE! In the bad areas and a lot in the good areas, afterall the good areas are where the good things to steal, isn't it?

With that being said, you can live peacefully in many places, but that doesn't mean it still can't happen, you just worry less about it.

For example, I have lived in nicer areas, all in the northern parts of phx, glendale, peoria. I had the most problems with my car being broken into AND stolen in northeast phx, one block from scottsdale border. Where I live now in N. Glendale, we have had several small incidents concerning our home. Vandels, and a possible attempted break-in (we hadn't moved in yet). The police and neighbors believe it's HS kids playing pranks. We also are on the corner which doesn't help.

Anyway, we lived for about a year and a half down off of indian school and 3rd ave (that's close to downtown/central phx). We didn't have anything happen to us, however there was lots of crime there. Police holicopters overhead all the time and a shooting across the street. It was the one place that we didn't have anything happen to us (and we even bought a brand new sports car that we parked in the covered parking!)

For a safe and affordable place, that's hard to say. What does affordable mean to you?

Old 02-27-2007, 02:20 PM

56 posts, read 298,871 times
Default Safe

I have lived in the Phoenix area, and it seems every neigberhood has its crime circle.

But it is really not that bad. I would not want to live in South Phoenix and many places on the west side (ave.), but it also depends. Someone once broke into my car and stole my radio (the dogs saw it, I just didn't believe them, yea....) anyhow, I also left the door open, so that could have happened in Scottsdale, and it happened in Tempe. I never felt there unsafe. It is not that bad, or maybe not worse than in another city.

I personally like North Phoenix, the biltmore area.
An hour from Scottsdale, why????
A lot of people like Anthem, the are doing a lot for the kids, or
Prescott. Also North Phoenix seems to have a lot of happy families and
some newer places north west also.

good luck,
what do you want in Arizona? I'm moving out of here.
It can be hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona