Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 02:36 PM

54 posts, read 248,389 times

Advertisements

what type of area is it- they have very nice priced apartments there.

anything you can tell me about the area?

Old 02-24-2007, 03:45 PM

68 posts, read 254,155 times
Default cottonwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona_chic View Post
what type of area is it- they have very nice priced apartments there.

anything you can tell me about the area?
Cottonwood is a town of about 10,000 people. It's a town that gets lots of tourists coming and going to Sedona and Jerome. Cottonwood has a old town nd new town (new sub-divisions). It sits under the Black hills (mingus mtn.) Jobs are mostly hospitality. We do have a large hospital and yavapai college. Cottonwood is not for everyone. If your a jetsetter don't move here. But if your like me who has a trade and love the slower life it's great. The weather is also a big reason i'm here. Ave. high 96 in August to Avg. high in Feb. is 58. To me is almost perfect. No snow (a bare trace here and there). Vegetation is sparse to green depending how close you are to the river. There are lots of manufactored homes and retirement villages. New homes have slowed but are starting up again. If you are young and single Cottonwood may or maynot be for you. I like it because i can scoot up the mountain for a bite and a view in Jerome, or head up 89a and watch the sunset and people go by at the Wildflower cafe. Hope this helped alittle

Old 02-24-2007, 08:34 PM

54 posts, read 248,389 times
i am young and single-looking for a small town feel kinda thing from the fast rush life of ny. but-i do love the nightclubs- anything close to cottonwood- i know phoenix is an hour or so away...i'm hoping to start with a condo or an apartment in cottonwood-and then buy a house *once i save up for it* in sedona. i love sedona.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:03 PM

Talking your right jbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
Arizona Chic...I'm hoping you can help me because I'm really really confused.
I'd like to think you're not just here wasteing good folks time but it sure looks like it to me. You have many many posts, and threads started by you for only having been a member since 02-21. In many of those posts you've mentioned that you will be attending the U. of Arizona come fall. You say you've been given a scholarship to same. Your stated goal is to become a 9th grade Enlish teacher. (hmmm tip #1; work on your spelling and grammer) Of course you also said your father gave you a coupe-de-ville but then in the "Other Topics" area, in a thread started by you, you said your father gave you a " 2007 jeep wrangler rubicon (in black)" In that same thread (as well as others) you mentioned and inquired about the town of Kingman. Kingman is a 5+ hour drive from Tucson where the Univ. of Arz is. !!
Now you're asking about the town of Cottonwood. Cottonwood is a 3 1/2 hr drive from the Univ. of Ariz. in Tucson. !!!
Tonight you said:
" i'm hoping to start with a condo or an apartment in cottonwood-and then buy a house *once i save up for it* in sedona. i love sedona."
Of course a couple of days ago you said:
" are there any apartment buildings in kingman? i've never been to arizona before!!! "

SO...I hope you can see why I'm confused...a not so well to do girl from NYC, whose just been given two expensive cars, wants to move to Cottonwood, buy a condo etc, and....apparently commute to the Univ. of Ariz. in Tucson.
Sounds like you're going to be busy.
If I were you I'd get a pen pal somewhere else and stop wasteing the time of people here with your Arizona fantasies.
On second thought i don't think Arizona is for you. You sound young and naive. Maybe Hollywood CA?

Old 02-25-2007, 09:36 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,652,324 times
Arizona Chic, have you considered buying a map of AZ? Do your time in college and live close to the school you attend. On weekends you can travel to your "dream cities". It is always best to see the places for yourself. Have you chosen a major yet? Get your degree and other things will fall into place. Many small towns, although charming, don't offer the jobs that pay the big bucks.

Last edited by Marka; 03-04-2007 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: edited quote

Old 02-27-2007, 02:14 PM

56 posts, read 298,910 times
Default Don't !

Don't move to Cottonwood, it is hell!

Flagstaff, Prescott, Tuscon are better choices!

Old 03-03-2007, 01:46 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
Bring the Jeep!

Old 03-03-2007, 04:12 PM

Default no class

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsava View Post
Don't move to Cottonwood, it is hell!

Flagstaff, Prescott, Tuscon are better choices!
It's hard posting a informative and honest opinion when you have people posting nasty comments about a town that come out from left field. I don't know why i even bother writing in these threads. When you read articles like cottonwood is hell it discourages you because you don't know who these people really are. You want to meet them face to face and have them explain and show you how they can just say something nasty like that. But oh well i just hope they don't live there. I live in Cottonwood and it's a nice little town. Don't let some of these posts scare you. They seem to have agenda's that only they know about. For someone like you i would stick to Tucson. It has more to do for someone your age. Cottonwood and little towns north of Phoenix are more for people who want a quieter, simpler life. Flagstaff is a younger town but gets snow and cold in the winter. Kingman is o.k. but not for a younger girl. You will get more of a feel for Arizona once you get here. Sorry if we were rude.

Hope it works out well for you

Old 03-03-2007, 05:12 PM

47 posts, read 229,894 times
here is why I would suggest checking out Sedona, or nearby. a lot of these small towns feel pretty remote. but one of the many things I like about Sedona is that I can walk to lunch, and hear French, German, Japanese, and a number of other european languages. there are only 20,000 residents here (less) but people from all over the world come here. so even though it's remote... it sure doesn't feel that way, with millions of tourists coming here. for me, its the best of both worlds...

Old 03-03-2007, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 6,642 times
Hi Arizona chick
I am totally new to this forum. I stumbled on it completely by accident. But after reading this thread I felt that I must sign up, and give you my opinion on life in Cottonwood.
First let me give you a brief summary on myself.
I was born in Prescott Az., about 35 miles from Cottonwood. In 1968, at the age of 6, my family moved me over the mountain to the town of Cottonwood. It is where I attended school all the way through my High School years.
Finally in 1988 at the age of 26 I got out of that quagmire and have never returned.
I think I speak from experience when I say:

Iif you're looking for a place to stagnate, to experience the exhilirating stab in the dreams that only small-town intrigue can produce, then Cottonwood is just what your looking for. Or perhaps you prefer a dead-end economy, based upon servicing the fortunes of the well-off Vortex Freaks of Sedona. That's Cottonwood. There are other cities in the Verde Valley.
There is always the charming Jerome, mining ghost town, tourist attraction, and also home to a satan church, Hell's Angels, burned out hippies, and remnants of radical political groups, and cults like The Family... Oh yeah, and the police chief and the entire town council were arrested for producing and trafficking in high-grade marijuana.

But there are always alternatives:

If you are looking for a place to broaden life experiences and have a real future, then stay away from Cottonwood. It and these other towns around it, are places of total deception and favoritism. It's sort of a Disneyland if you are in the right "social circles"(read Church) But the only ways to earn a living are to serve others in low-paying resort and service jobs, or develop your own service-based business in which you employ these people.
There is no real future for a bright young woman in that hell hole. You will spend most of your career just attempting to change the minds of people who have a good old boy network going back 150 years. I know this because I have grown up with many of these same people. In church, school, boy scouts, high school sports, Army, etc. I speak from living there for many years. Lots of small towns across America are not what they appear to be on the surface. It's called Public Relations. Always look closer before you jump. That nice soft pile of leaves might be actually be covering a pit full of slime and despair.... Just think about it, read the back newspapers from there, and visit more than a few times before actually moving there. That's true of any place, but especially this area of Arizona. Most of the state is not like this, or like Phoenix or Tucson either. It's mostly small town old fashioned friendly living. But you have to watch out where circumstances have made people desperate.

You made a statement about how rude the people are that have responded to your enquire about Cottonwood. The types of replies you have received to a simple request here, are exactly what you may expect of daily treatment in most any small town in the Verde Valley area. Between limited potential for earnings, inflated land values, and limited prospects for improvement outside of raising taxes, it's just not a smart bet to live in. It's great for visiting, but trust me, you do not want to get stuck in the "Twilight Zone", as the Verde Valley is referred to by many old-timer native Arizonans.... Your children will have no real creative or socially productive choices, and are at risk for drugs, violence, and crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona