Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 05:13 AM

30 posts, read 236,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
If you are looking to a more reasonable value in the Sedona area check out the Village of Oak Creek. My sister-in-law lived there for many years. The prices are more reasonable (still expensive) and it's location is somewhat closer to the freeway to Phoenix. You also avoid the TERRIBLE TRAFFIC near the "Y" in central Sedona.
THANK YOU, Kirk! We are definitely going to be considering Sedona area, and tips like this will come in very handy, I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,916 times
I have to agree that the Village of Oak Creek probably would meet all your needs. But if your looking for more room for your buck their are some nice properties here off of Salt Mine Rd. in Camp Verde-less congestion, open and still close to many many towns.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:00 AM

3 posts, read 11,041 times
Alex,
I notice that no one has posted any information about being up on the rim. We relocated to AZ from Md about 4 years ago. We are north of Williams and west of Flag. We are near the Grand Canyon. We have 4 seasons, but very little snow(so far). Flagstaff is a very environmental, generally progressive (NAU) and we love the area. It is a little more than you 1-1/12 hrs from the airport - takes us about 3 to get to PHX - also about that to Vegas, but any area we would recommend
Good luck,
Linda

Old 04-03-2007, 01:53 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,284,377 times
MsAlex,

I wouldn't rule out Carefree, north of Phoenix, just yet. There is definitely a strong little arts culture up there in the Cave Creek/Carefree area. I lived on the Carefree border for 4 years and just moved last summer out of state. There are lots of empty nesters/retirees, but it's quite different than the active adult community type of setup. The median age is 55. There is a branch of the Heard Museum up there, lots of little art galleries and things.

It's a very old town that is undergoing a revitalization - they are putting new, nicer townhomes, condos and single family homes in various little pockets here and there. Carefree also runs about 10 degrees cooler in the summertime than metro Phoenix. There is a cute little downtown-like shopping area with little shops and restaurants. You probably couldn't get a single family home there for $500K (I haven't looked in awhile at what pricing is doing there) but you could probably get a low maintenance duplex, townhome or condo. You'd be about 45 minutes to an hour to the Phoenix airport, depending upon traffic. The land up there is gorgeous, lots of mountain views and lots of undisturbed desert.

The only thing I don't see meeting your needs is that I don't think of Carefree as overly liberal. I'd say it's fairly conservative, but not in a Bible Belt sort of way. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 PM

508 posts, read 1,674,818 times
The natural beauty of Sedona is hard to beat anywhere in the US, and they do have an artsy community but there is a different element to Sedona as well. Much of the local flavor tends towards new age, UFO's, mysticisim, tarots, palm reading etc . . . if that is your thing you will love it. If you prefer more "down to Earth" people Scottsdale is tough to beat for art galleries. There are roughly 125 which ranks it the most art galleries per capita in the country. However, it might not fit your budget. You might check out Anthem, Care Free, and Cave Creek as well. All or which are much much closer to SkyHarbor than Sedona. If you are more into the younger art scene and cultural, festival "young at heart" lifestyle, look into Tempe.

In all honesty anywhere you pick in the Phoenix Valley will put you in a location that is not far from everything else so anywhere you find a home you like will not be to bad a pick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona