Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 10,733 times

Advertisements

What is the opinion regarding Show Low, AZ? I am new to Arizona, trying to decide where to live. My two choices with respect to work are North Central Phoenix or Show Low.

Anybody with knowledge regarding these areas....please feel free to comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 06:47 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot9209 View Post
What is the opinion regarding Show Low, AZ? I am new to Arizona, trying to decide where to live. My two choices with respect to work are North Central Phoenix or Show Low.

Anybody with knowledge regarding these areas....please feel free to comment.
Do you like/desire the things that are city such as sports, concerts, theatre, shopping, restaurants, celebrations, home shows and festivals? Or are you more of a small town person content with McDonalds, Applebees, and a bunch sandwich shops and other tourist oriented activities. If you are city mouse, then it's Phoenix; country mouse, Show Low. The two places are like night and day.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:32 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
I've lived in both and Ponderosa's examples are "almost" exact with both places. Show Low has less places like Mcdonalds and applebee's than Phoenix. There are more original restaurants in the show low "area," then phoenix. I don't know where he/she is getting the idea that Show Low only has garbage eating, like Phoenix. When you talk about Show Low you have to include Pinetop-Lakeside because one is nothing without the other.

You want..... Thai, Chinese, Caijin, Country, Mexican, Japanese, American, ect. You can find these in the Showlow, Pinetop-Lakeside area. I love the Thai place in pinetop. They seem to be the only Thai place in Arizona that knows how to make sticky rice and mango correctly. All the Thai places in Phoenix want to put way too much crap on simple dish.

A recent growth of motorcycle shops have shown up, kinda strange.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:45 PM

44 posts, read 164,950 times
If you like shopping Show Low is not the place for you. We have a Walmart, Lowe's & Home Depot, a small Sears Penney's. But if you like hunting, fishing, skiing, hiking,
antique hunting, atv riding then this is the place. Small kids like it, teens hate it.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:20 PM

77 posts, read 406,040 times
Teens hate it: Is that based on "nothing to do"? or "we are not the city"?

Old 01-11-2009, 02:22 PM

77 posts, read 406,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozycabin View Post
If you like shopping Show Low is not the place for you. We have a Wal-mart, Lowe's & Home Depot, a small Sears Penney's. But if you like hunting, fishing, skiing, hiking,
antique hunting, atv riding then this is the place. Small kids like it, teens hate it.
Kozy: What can you tell me about living in the Show Low, Pine top/Lakeside area? I have worked up there but never lived (Hospital work). My wife and I would like to take advantage of the economic downturn and purchase ladn to build on over time and by the time our newborn is old enough, move up there. Just looking for information.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:31 AM

Sorry for the late reply.
I am retired & moved here to be in the mountains & by my daughter's family. I took a part-time job at Walmart three nights a week.
Show Low & Pinetop come alive in summer with all the tourists. Winter is pretty empty. There are alot of small seasonal parks that people live 6 mo a year in park models & trailers.
We have a Walmart, Big Lots, small Penney's, Beall's, Dollar Tree, Kmart & Dollar General. I came from Southern Calif & haven't seen a mall in over a year. There is a Safeway in Show Low & one in Pinetop. There are many fast foods & really good small restaurants.
I have a granddaughter that will graduate in May that can't wait to move.
There is nothing for them here except a small movie theater & a go-cart track that opens for summer. There is also a small stock car track.
We call Friday night at Walmart "datenight" cause they just hang out there.
People are friendly, crime is low, fishing & golf abound. ATV's are street legal here if licensed. If you want a slow paced life you will enjoy it. It is a beautiful part of Arizona. Houses are cheap or empty so now is the time to buy, but if you need a job to survive GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-21-2009, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 9,485 times
Hello, kozycabin and others from Show Low. I spend as much time as I can in Show Low as I absolutely love the weather and being able to escape to the altitude, cooler weather and GREEN. Yes, I am a desert rat from down in the valley. I am fortunate enough to have an escape home in Show Low and admit to looking forward to the day I can reverse my circumstances (Show Low full time and visit the Valley).

A question - I am not an ATV'er myself but have some friends that want to visit in Show Low. Can anyone direct me to some WWW links or other information on the best trails nearby Show Low?

Thanks!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 AM

Hi Tony....I have only been here 2 years but mine is street legal so I just cruise around. There are lots of roads & trails in Pinedale & Linden. Just stay off the reservations. Show Low Motorsports may have links for you. I know there are organized rides and lots go out past Show Low to Concho, Vernon, Snowflake, Springerville & etc. Almost every camper pulls a UTV behind them so know there are alot of places and many head out past Pinetop. Good Luck.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:18 AM

2 posts, read 10,524 times
Show low and phoenix are like night and day. Are you flying back and forth? Cause the drive is 3hrs. Great place thou.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona