Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2006, 01:33 AM

3 posts, read 23,752 times

Advertisements

I'm in the USAF and about to move to Arizona to work in Mesa/Queen Creek. Since this is looking to be one of my last moves before I retire, I'm also considering buying a home. Speaking with a Realtor in the area, with our desires (Size, cost, etc...) Queen's Creek and Johnson Ranch community keeps coming up as positive. Now knowing what's positive "on paper" doesn't mean it's positive in reality. Is there anyone that is familiar with the area and can answer some basic questions about it? Possibly pertinent info...

1. My current job will be in Mesa/QC, but being Military, that is only temporary location. As for future job, who knows. I suppose it would be good to estimate the worst case scenario and say that I had to travel to SE Phoenix area so anything closer would be better. Plan for the worst, hope for the best idea here...

2. Schooling:
My son is currently in 4th grade so I'm looking at the schools in the area. It seems that the primary ones that support that would be Johnson and Florence HS.

3. Internet Connectivity:
Being a computer person, I use the internet extensively for school, work and entertainment. This makes this a high priority as well since I would prefer an above average connection as an option. Nothing ridiculous, but would not want any dial-up or minimal speed connections.

4. Crime:
Again, family with me so this is of paramount importance.

5. Anything else that YOU might think would be important to take note of. Feel free to give me your thoughts on what other aspects I should consider. Feel free to ask questions as well.

Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 19,426 times
Hey Stone, I live in east Mesa, So maybe I can sed some light. Real estate in QC is definatley affordable for the size of home you're getting.

1. If your job takes you out of QC, plab to drive with alot of traffic. Although they area is starting to improve, the roads are horrendous for traffic. There are only a couple of streets coming out of QC and get backed up easily for stop signs.

2. From what I understand is Mesa used to be the number one school district in the state, but has recently lost that position to the city of Gilbert. QC is still growing and more than likely addng new schools. QC may lack in this area from all of the new moves and housing boom but should catch up.

3. I'm an internet guy, an both QC and Mesa offer cable Broadband.

4. Mesa is a large city, so with any large city, there will be crime. QC may have a little less as this is a smaller town. More then likely, theft, vandalism & the like. Pretty easy to see the areas where crimes may be more prevelant

5. Again, Mesa is a large city spread out out over a large are. QC is tucked back in the southern portion. Closest highway is the 60. I timed a drive from near Florence through QC to the 60, and was an hour drive on the weekend.

Not sure where you're moving from, but be prepared for the heat... muhaha

Hope this helps

Old 01-01-2007, 07:29 PM

165 posts, read 405,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewyvern View Post
I'm in the USAF and about to move to Arizona to work in Mesa/Queen Creek. Since this is looking to be one of my last moves before I retire, I'm also considering buying a home. Speaking with a Realtor in the area, with our desires (Size, cost, etc...) Queen's Creek and Johnson Ranch community keeps coming up as positive. Now knowing what's positive "on paper" doesn't mean it's positive in reality. Is there anyone that is familiar with the area and can answer some basic questions about it? Possibly pertinent info...

1. My current job will be in Mesa/QC, but being Military, that is only temporary location. As for future job, who knows. I suppose it would be good to estimate the worst case scenario and say that I had to travel to SE Phoenix area so anything closer would be better. Plan for the worst, hope for the best idea here...

2. Schooling:
My son is currently in 4th grade so I'm looking at the schools in the area. It seems that the primary ones that support that would be Johnson and Florence HS.

3. Internet Connectivity:
Being a computer person, I use the internet extensively for school, work and entertainment. This makes this a high priority as well since I would prefer an above average connection as an option. Nothing ridiculous, but would not want any dial-up or minimal speed connections.

4. Crime:
Again, family with me so this is of paramount importance.

5. Anything else that YOU might think would be important to take note of. Feel free to give me your thoughts on what other aspects I should consider. Feel free to ask questions as well.

Thanks for the input.
I relocated from the St Louis area to Phoenix area. I lived in Johnson Ranch for a short time. It was a short time because of the great distance it is removed from the metro area. My family and I loved the Johnson Ranch area. The only problem was getting in and out of the area. There is really only 1 way in and 1 way out that is feasible. The roads are being worked on to try to improve it. However, at this time, it is a horrible commute.

I actually work from home and thought JR was too far out of the way. There are only a couple of restaurants near JR. Otherwise, you are looking at about 30 minutes each way to get a restaurant. There is a WalMart going up that is about 10-15 minutes from JR. Other than that, you can figure a minimum of 30-40 min each way to get to "city ammenities" such as big box retailers, restaurants, movie theaters, etc.

Truthfully, if the infrastructure was better I would still be there.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 7,962 times
Smile Just moved to Queen Creek

We just bought a house in San Tan Hights which is just a few minutes from Johnson Ranch. My husband works in Phoenix and the reason we bought a house in Queen Creek is because that is all we can afford we were renting in Chandler which is a wonderful town but our rent is only $200 less then our morgage. We looked in other areas to buy because of the drive to work but you will pay $100,000 more for the same house. Because this is a new area they are working hard on the roads and the shopping areas. My husband says it takes him 50 min to get to work and he thinks its worth it. Only 20 extra min to own a home. We like the neighbors so far no problems we go to the park everyday. We are planing on living here for about 5 years and then moving to a new state we think we can sell for a lot more after this area is developed. I say get in while the prices are low. Hope this helped.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:24 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena7446 View Post
We just bought a house in San Tan Hights which is just a few minutes from Johnson Ranch. My husband works in Phoenix and the reason we bought a house in Queen Creek is because that is all we can afford we were renting in Chandler which is a wonderful town but our rent is only $200 less then our morgage. We looked in other areas to buy because of the drive to work but you will pay $100,000 more for the same house. Because this is a new area they are working hard on the roads and the shopping areas. My husband says it takes him 50 min to get to work and he thinks its worth it. Only 20 extra min to own a home. We like the neighbors so far no problems we go to the park everyday. We are planing on living here for about 5 years and then moving to a new state we think we can sell for a lot more after this area is developed. I say get in while the prices are low. Hope this helped.
You're right. One day Queen Creek will be considered "close in". I used to wonder who would ever want live way out by Alma School and Warner Rd.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:04 PM

@ lurksteraz
Quote:
Not sure where you're moving from, but be prepared for the heat... muhaha
I was deployed to both Saudi and Afghanistan so I'm expecting it can't be much more than those...

As for where I'm coming from right now, I'm stationed just outside of Tokyo so the weather is pretty temperate. Since I'm arriving in the February, I hope that it won't be too bad and that we will acclimate pretty well.

@ Everyone,

Thanks for the info. I'm expecting much of what was said about it being early in the development. From what I hear on the growth, I'm hoping it will be the next "Gilbert/Chandler" five to ten years from now. Since they will be that much deeper into town at that time and due to the current increased cost, are both reasons I'm looking in Queen's Creek.

The job I'll be working at for about the next four years (or so, per Military needs...) is on the East edge of Mesa (or so, per google maps), the old Air Force base (Williams or something, I think...) so Queen's Creek should be a pretty easy drive to it. As for heading into the city for other things, that sounds like a Saturday drive to me... Head in for the all day, shopping, movie, dinner, all around "fun day" occasionally, and other than that, stay in the outskirts.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:57 PM

17 posts, read 131,818 times
I live in San Tan Heights also and have heard the new school Mountain Vista is much better than the San Tan Heights School was. Smaller classes, better principle, music, and PE etc.. The drive for us to town is worth it for the price of house we got 2 years ago. I'm not sure how it compares now adays. Fortunately we like Mexican food, Jack in the Box, Subway, and Pizza Hut when I don't feel like cooking which is 5 min away and the only fast food available, but yesterday in rush hour and a cop on the side of the road it took me an hour to get home. Probably should've just cooked something! And forget getting to anywhere on time anymore especially on the weekends when they shut down the one out of 2 lanes to get out of here for a detour. Makes me wonder what if something catastophic happened.At least we're not near the Power Plant and Phoenix, right! Overall we are very happy here. But don't blame me if you end up hateing it like so many others have. I don't think they had the right expectation of it as it sounds like you pretty much do.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:54 PM

Well we arrived safe and sound and after MUCH house hunting found a place. It's in the Skyline subdivision of Queen's Creek. Nice size, but the best part is having no one in my back yard. I'm right off a Greenbelt with a view of the Superstition Mountains out my backyard.

As for not liking AZ, so far I'm really happy with it. It's a major hassle trying to put together a full life in one week, but it's worth it so far!

Thanks for all the great info from everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona