Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2020, 03:41 PM

5 posts, read 24,721 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my wife and I are looking at purchasing property up in the White Mountains and we've come across some things we like in Concho. We would be relocating there so this is for full time living.

Im just curious what the current population climate is like in the Concho area... I grew up in St. John's so I'm familiar with the demographics and amenities (or lack thereof) but that was a long time ago and I have not been up that way since 2016.

I did some internet searching and it seems like Concho has become a popular place for folks to buy land and do some off grid living, farming etc. I know they have the lavender farm up there, and it looks like there were a few people who were doing Hemp farming and some organic farms but some of those websites are now defunct or they haven't posted anything for a while so I assume it's a bust.

We really like the property and with Show Low not too far away it's doable to be out there, but, my wife is a bit more social than I am. It's not to say I don't enjoy going out to dinner/drinks etc but she gets really depressed if she has to go a long time without seeing people to hang out with. I'm concerned Concho is going to be a bit too remote for her and am pushing more to the Show Low area but she really wants to do some farming/honey bees and the Concho property is a perfect fit minus that it's in Concho.

So who's living up there and what's the latest? Will we have some like minded folks to socialize with in our age group (30s) or will we need to depend on Show Low for socialization?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 09:03 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
I mean it’s a collection of temporary buildings and a Family Dollar. If you’re going to go out to drink be careful as Show Low PD doesn’t mess around with traffic violations. I can’t imagine there’s be a lot of social activities other than in Show Low, other than church.

I’d never live in Concho. But I mean you know enough about it. And it’s not like it’s changed a lot since 2016. It could work for people who like what it is.

Old 10-09-2020, 10:27 AM

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the home we were looking at was sold out from under us, and it was really the home/property we were interested in, not Concho necessarily. We're back to looking in Show Low/Pinetop/Lakeside, specifically the White Mountain Lakes area.

Can anyone provide recent insight on this area? From my research here and otherwise it seems like a strange combination of retired folks, tweekers, and up and coming developments. Would like to know what the current state of affairs is out there.

Last edited by solrider; 10-09-2020 at 10:42 AM..

Old 10-09-2020, 11:11 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
Well, sorry the property fell out in Concho, but I wouldn't want to live that far out either. Your closer to St. Johns and almost round valley than you are Show Low. Besides, from what little I know, it seems many that move there do so to get away; i.e. some folks have a bug out location there. But hey, you could have gone to the Stanford Store to socialize. Plenty of old folks and tweakers there and they play live music. Until about 7pm.

Now White Mountain lakes I could get into, but I ended up with a 'retro' home here in Lakeside. White Mountain lakes is what you say, but it used to be much much worse towards the tweaker side, so I would say it is going in the right direction. I think the tweaker fad out there is dying off, hehe. They just recently had a bit of a scandal with their fire dept, so Timber Mesa took over; odd because Timber Mesa took over Show Low fire after a huge scandal.

I don't have much real intimate knowledge, I just know that when I do drive through that way, a whole lot fewer properties have that 'tweaker' look to them than 15-20 years ago. They do have a little private airport out there too, not to be confused with KSOW. Of course, you can go out a bit further for larger and cheaper parcels, but the roads! I'm too old for that bouncing around for a half hour crap to go 3-5 miles.

good luck in your search.

p.s. just remember that the White Mountain area of AZ is the most terribleâ„¢ part of this terribleâ„¢ state.

Old 10-09-2020, 12:47 PM

Lol thank you for the info! I've been reading up on the drama with the FD out there, seems ongoing. I also read they are trying to incorporate into a town. And we hear you on the roads! We went to look at another property further north out by the swap meet and holy cow. No way I'd want to drive that everyday even with 4wd!

We'd love to find something in lakeside but we'd like a little land and those properties are hard to find in our price range.

Old 10-13-2020, 07:03 AM

Vernon, Pinedale, Linden, Clay Springs, try around there. The first bieng out towards where you were looking, the last three going the other way to the west(?) of Show Low.

Old 10-14-2020, 10:06 PM

3 posts, read 9,235 times
I just moved out of Show Low after only one year living there. I would say the place is moving very much in the wrong direction. The city has a massive meth and opioid problem and a shady underbelly, which becomes obvious as you begin to scratch the surface. Even before Covid, the economy was in rough shape and going downhill, with very limited job opportunities, little growth and an extremely depressing vibe. It's a shame, because it's a beautiful place.

Concho has some very inexpensive land, but you'll likely be drilling a well, doing alternative septic and going 100% solar, which in itself is pretty pricey. Getting utilities to a lot can be EXTREMELY expensive, downright cost prohibitive or sometimes impossible, from a residential perspective. There is also an element out there that cannot be ignored. I would not feel safe moving my wife out to some parts of the area.

Things get a bit better as you head South. Lakeside isn't too bad and Pinetop is pretty nice, albeit expensive.

Just my opinion and observations.

Old 10-19-2020, 01:44 PM

We appreciate all of the feedback. After spending the last 2 months driving up almost every week to look at homes, we've given up on having a large plot of land. My wife has fallen in love with Lakeside and we think being in town closer to schools and amenities will be better for us in the long run.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,570 times
Hi I just wanted to piggyback on this thread rather than start a new one. I am just starting research to move up to the White Mountain area and we are also heavily leaning toward the Show Low/Pinetop/Lakeside area. While we have visited the area in all seasons many times we have not spent extended time up there. We are also in our 30s, no kids, but a gay couple (lesbian). Would we be welcome in this area? We are both disabled vets, we generally keep to ourselves if we are not outdoors hiking, biking or fishing but we do enjoy going out for the occasional dinner or beer at the bar. We have never had any issues with anyone or service while up there, but we also understand that treating tourists poorly while being in a service based economy would be economic suicide.

I've done a little research but have not found a lot of information on any LGBT communities up there. I did see that at one time last year there was an LGBT youth center in Show Low but that has since been shut down due to lack of attendance/support. Obviously, someone felt there was a need for this kind of thing in the area, but I wonder if the community is too conservative to support such a place. We don't necessarily need to be hanging out with the gays all the time, we live in Phoenix now and don't even go to the gay bars here; with that said we would just like to know if anyone would have something derogatory to say while standing in line at the Safeway, lol. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solrider View Post
We appreciate all of the feedback. After spending the last 2 months driving up almost every week to look at homes, we've given up on having a large plot of land. My wife has fallen in love with Lakeside and we think being in town closer to schools and amenities will be better for us in the long run.
You'll like Lakeside. I like it. I wish I could have found a place up in Pinetop, especially the certain area serviced by Pinetop water co., as the water out of the tap is as good as or better than any bottled water you can buy. The rest and Lakeside is serviced by Arizona water, and they chlorinate. The previous poster who said all those terribleâ„¢ things about the area might have been hanging out with the wrong crowd, lol. There has been a meth problem, but it seems as though it is dying out. And if you're willing to work and work well, ther is not a thing wrong with the opportunites here. Just don't tell anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona