Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 07:23 AM

30,184 posts, read 11,821,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
We've locally had several months below average since 97 including a couple this year already (Feb&Mar)
Of course every individual weather stations will have months below average. But as a whole the trend is up. And as a whole the earth has not had a below average month in 8 years. And when you have a city already one of the hottest in the world during the summer that is the problem. At what point is it too hot? Look at Mecca in Saudi Arabia. Hotter than Phoenix year round and people still live there. Hermosillo is another example. As long as there are jobs people will stay in Phoenix.

So the thread topic will rising temps cause people to move to Tucson? There is a difference with the monsoons. Even July so far where the monsoons have been lacking. In Saturday in Tucson 113 about 6pm. Almost as hot as it usually gets here. A storm came in, very strong wind and rain and dropped it to 79 in about 40 minutes. Knocked the power out for a bit. Stayed in the low 80's the rest of the evening. Perfect outdoor exercise weather. Sunday afternoon. It was 110 about 430. Another storm dropped it to the mid 90s quickly. During July and August this usually happens about half the days during those months. Officially maybe 5 degrees cooler than Phoenix but many early evenings can be more than 20 degrees cooler. I know in Phoenix the "monsoon" is mostly dust storms and more humidity. And when a really strong storm hits, trees are down and lots of flooding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 07:26 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
Quote:
We've locally had several months below average since 97 including a couple this year already (Feb&Mar)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Of course every individual weather stations will have months below average. But as a whole the trend is up. And as a whole the earth has not had a below average month in 8 years. And when you have a city already one of the hottest in the world during the summer that is the problem. At what point is it too hot? Look at Mecca in Saudi Arabia. Hotter than Phoenix year round and people still live there. Hermosillo is another example. As long as there are jobs people will stay in Phoenix.

So the thread topic will rising temps cause people to move to Tucson? There is a difference with the monsoons. Even July so far where the monsoons have been lacking. In Saturday in Tucson 113 about 6pm. Almost as hot as it usually gets here. A storm came in, very strong wind and rain and dropped it to 79 in about 40 minutes. Knocked the power out for a bit. Stayed in the low 80's the rest of the evening. Perfect outdoor exercise weather. Sunday afternoon. It was 110 about 430. Another storm dropped it to the mid 90s quickly. During July and August this usually happens about half the days during those months. Officially maybe 5 degrees cooler than Phoenix but many early evenings can be more than 20 degrees cooler. I know in Phoenix the "monsoon" is mostly dust storms and more humidity.
Tucson had an 89°F low yesterday, tied their all time record max low

Old 07-14-2020, 07:36 AM

4,072 posts, read 5,154,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Phoenix is uninhabitable?

I'm pretty sure there are several million people living here; quite happily I might add. The heat purifies and filters out the riff raff.

Looking forward to Sunday's 117.
So far...Oklazona is just proving your point

Old 07-14-2020, 08:47 AM

811 posts, read 623,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
So far...Oklazona is just proving your point
As a Phoenix native I couldn't give a rat's azz if it's getting hotter here. Hot is hot. All I care about is that Phoenix doesn't lose the "small town feel". Those who have grown up here know exactly what I'm talking about. Fuggitabout 120 degrees... it's the "6 degrees of separation" that keeps me here.

[mod cut - politics]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 07-15-2020 at 04:52 PM..

Old 07-14-2020, 09:12 AM

4,072 posts, read 5,154,276 times
Quote:
As a Phoenix native I couldn't give a rat's azz if it's getting hotter here. Hot is hot. All I care about is that Phoenix doesn't lose the "small town feel". Those who have grown up here know exactly what I'm talking about. Fuggitabout 120 degrees... it's the "6 degrees of separation" that keeps me here.

[mod cut - politics]
Agreed...was here for the 122°. Once you get over 110°...it is just HOT. We deal with it...those that can't hack it leave.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 07-15-2020 at 04:53 PM..

Old 07-14-2020, 06:34 PM

30,184 posts, read 11,821,267 times
Quote:
Tucson had an 89°F low yesterday, tied their all time record max low

Sunday afternoon a monsoon storm hit but only dropped it in the mid 90's. But it stayed cloudy and humid overnight. It was warm when I did my morning bike ride. Its usually in the 70's just after sunrise.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:36 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Quote:
I can honestly say that as a native, Phoenix hasn't had a small town feel in many years. Those who expect a place this size to retain a small town vibe are just spinning their wheels & getting nowhere. Growth & development are inevitable whether we like it or not.

To your earlier statement about heat filtering out the riff raff: I find that extremely hard to believe. If anything, the heat brings in more of the undesirable idiotic types. I've seen it all too often: the hotter it is, the worse the behavior is. It has a lot to do with how hot weather negatively affects cognitive brain functions (or what I often call the "fried brain effect").

Old 07-14-2020, 08:01 PM

811 posts, read 623,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I can honestly say that as a native, Phoenix hasn't had a small town feel in many years. Those who expect a place this size to retain a small town vibe are just spinning their wheels & getting nowhere. Growth & development are inevitable whether we like it or not.

To your earlier statement about heat filtering out the riff raff: I find that extremely hard to believe. If anything, the heat brings in more of the undesirable idiotic types. I've seen it all too often: the hotter it is, the worse the behavior is. It has a lot to do with how hot weather negatively affects cognitive brain functions (or what I often call the "fried brain effect").
Well there you go: Two different opinions both probably right. I suspect we travel in different circles.

Old 07-15-2020, 12:15 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

It's like how Gilbert now has more people than most cities, but still chooses to remain a Town officially. [mod cut -]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 07-15-2020 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: remove hate speech
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona